• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

12 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Probably the most accurate winter forecast poster on this forum.

http://www.lightinthestorm.com/

Jesus Christ that dude is trying a little too hard.  The words he uses in that abstract are completely ridiculous and unnecessary (An abstract is a supposed to be a short, clean, and usually simple summary of a more complex paper).  I pride myself on a larger than average vocabulary and that guy pulled out a dozen words I have rarely if ever seen used.  He may be smart, he may even be right with his forecast, but he comes across like like a clown trying way too hard to impress people.  

congruous
derogate
putative
redolent
diminution
exogenous
vicissitudes
felicitous
evince
multifarious
veridical
apocryphal

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

First flakes of the season! Officially in the mood now!

After today’s coating of slush looks like our next time to watch at least in the metro area will be Saturday AM. Winds will back to the W and then SW and might give us a couple hour window to see a band form over Lake Erie and swing north through the city. Probably won’t amount to anything but at least something to keep an eye on.

3f66773aef34e2587ebd6abb6d7a161f.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Jesus Christ that dude is trying a little too hard.  The words he uses in that abstract are completely ridiculous and unnecessary (An abstract is a supposed to be a short, clean, and usually simple summary of a more complex paper).  I pride myself on a larger than average vocabulary and that guy pulled out a dozen words I have rarely if ever seen used.  He may be smart, he may even be right with his forecast, but he comes across like like a clown trying way too hard to impress people.  

congruous
derogate
putative
redolent
diminution
exogenous
vicissitudes
felicitous
evince
multifarious
veridical
apocryphal

I agree with most on here, it's virtually impossible to predict long term snow totals around here. Was anyone predicting 35" for Buffalo in 2011-2012? Unless is a huge anomaly like a really strong Nino or Nina. Where the pacific flow dominates the winter or a large SE ridge. During those years you can usually go below normal with snowfall and above normal temps. Weak/Neutral years is a guess as usually other climate controls manipulate the weather such as MJO/AO/Tropical systems/etc...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

First flakes of the season! Officially in the mood now!

After today’s coating of slush looks like our next time to watch at least in the metro area will be Saturday AM. Winds will back to the W and then SW and might give us a couple hour window to see a band form over Lake Erie and swing north through the city. Probably won’t amount to anything but at least something to keep an eye on.

3f66773aef34e2587ebd6abb6d7a161f.jpg

Just leaving North Tonawanda and it's almost snowing moderately...flake size has increased and slushy coatings on everything but the roads...

42 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

congruous
derogate
putative
redolent
diminution
exogenous
vicissitudes
felicitous
evince
multifarious
veridical
apocryphal

Spot on!  I was amused at first, then found it hard to keep reading without getting angry.  

Anyway..."real" snow falling in Lancaster.  Pretty good size flakes and sticking on vegetation nicely.  Evergreens are frosted.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Light snow all morning here, not really sticking though. But it's very picturesque. Really good flake size, snow is beautiful. 

This winter should be fun with a few new posters! Very active already

Just perused the ensembles for the EPS and GEFS and both still show the storm track and precipitation values are on target for next week.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

congruous
derogate
putative
redolent
diminution
exogenous
vicissitudes
felicitous
evince
multifarious
veridical
apocryphal

He should of used some more quid pro quo in his forecast, don't you think? It's all the rage now a days. 

• Haha 1

I’m glad some of you spoke up about that ridiculous seasonal forecast. I’ve been thinking about it and I think it comes down to snootiness. There are probably only a few people, in the field, who could actually understand everyone of those terms. 
I probably agree that we’re due a lower snowfall year but it’s based on a gut feeling and nothin else. Last year looked good for Roc but only on paper. It didn’t really feel like an above ave season (or even average). Everything ended up anemic. Hope we can get a surprise or two- something that over performs. 
Currently enjoying our first snowflakes! Love it!!!

• Like 2

Still on the map but maybe a touch SE and a little weaker than the 00z and still putting out anywhere from .4 to .9 of QPF for the 24 hour period which with temps in the lower 20's would equate to ratios of 12 to 1 to even 15 to 1...5" to about a foot in some of the higher elevations and lake enhanced areas.

• Like 1