• Member Statistics

    16,058
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mcost
    Newest Member
    Mcost
    Joined
Eskimo Joe

2019 Mid Atlantic Lawn, Garden, Pool, etc. Thread

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Got a couple monarch caterpillars -- pretty good size already.

image.png.cc27aedd65e7d7001fefcbee9a83341e.png

I just read that they only take 9 - 14 days to become butterflies. Will he cocoon in your yard this summer? It would be pretty cool if you could document it. 

Now I want a butterfly garden. Just what I need. Another hobby!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

@BlizzardNole that’s awesome! What kind of milkweed is that? I’ve only seen 1 Monarch all year so far. 

I am at Lowe’s in Owings Mills getting a couple things and walked through the flowers to see if they have anything that attracts butterflies. I think I can safely say Lantana does.

image.jpeg.16c0f16a1f9913db7f35e590d0fb6e3d.jpeg

@MN Transplant

That sucks. :huh:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is tropical milkweed.  I usually buy seeds and start indoors and treat as annuals (I've never seen them in garden centers).  They grow to 3-4 feet tall and bring in lots of monarch caterpillars, and other butterflies and hummingbirds love the nectar.  They look best in clusters.  Rabbits and deer will not touch it.

I get lots of chrysalises from late July through mid-Sept, and find them hanging on fences, siding, tops of doorways, etc.  They are like clock-work once they make the chrysalis, almost always hatching 10 days later.  I usually bring chrysalises I find outside in so they can hatch safely.  I've gotten good at getting them down -- I wait until they've hardened a little (couple days), and spray them with a little water, then carefully pull off with the webbing material they attach with.  I also sometimes I'll bring in a dozen or so cats to let them make their chrysalises inside. 

Oh and lantana is a great butterfly attracting plant.  Low maintenance and deer/rabbit proof.  Here are some pics from last year:

Just hatched on the deck:

image.png.be1cfa896f18dc0b5b98272111291a7a.png

Bunch of chrysalises in an aquarium:

image.png.f7d606b4115614cb0921a8935c7bec5a.png

Tropical milkweeds in a cluster:

image.png.4083b7e43e8ab11c85a0c49d7e67efaa.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s quite a bit of common milkweed near our house along paths and in open space. Haven’t seen any monarch caterpillars or chrysalises. Haven’t seen many butterflies period this year.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long story, and not very interesting, but it does illustrate that I would not be a very good farmer.

I've mentioned that I have a mystery squash plant, and actually, I think there may be two.  It came up between my cucumber and crook neck squash so I figured I'd just let it grow and hope that it was pumpkins that I need for brewing (I think one of them is a pumpkin judging by the fruit, but the other one is the same size and shape of the pie pumpkin, but it's warted pretty good, and I think yellower, but that's not the point). Not surprisingly, all the squash is doing really well, and when any of the vines went into the other areas of the garden or tried to escape into the lawn, I just cut them back.  They're so prolific that it really doesn't matter.  Anyway, I've been wondering why my cucumber plant hasn't been producing. It's marked well with a cage, and though it's jungle mix of vines and leave, i knew where I planted it.  Each day I'd brave the prickly squash vines and dig through trying to find some fruit for pickling ending up with nothing but a rash up and down my forearms.  We've had a couple, but there should be more. 

Well, this morning I went out and the cucumber plant looks spent.  The leaves are wilting and there's stunted fruit on the longer vines, and then near the ground, I saw a bunch giant orange fruit that didn't look right.  They were six or seven giant cucumbers that I never saw and they must have been robbing the plant.  So, we'll still be buying pickles but hopefully there will be six or seven pumpkins for brewing.

image.png.29fd512b727467f3b0c44ece926e296e.png

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff @BlizzardNole. Impressed. Looks like a 4 or 5 instar on the first pic of this page.

How long you been at this, if ya don’t mind?

This is my license plate btw. ;)

2D683142-8F74-43C8-AA5C-DB1E1CA77BFB.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Good stuff @BlizzardNole. Impressed. Looks like a 4 or 5 instar on the first pic of this page.

How long you been at this, if ya don’t mind?

I got a butterfly garden started about 12 years ago and have been raising monarchs every summer since then.  I used to do the whole deal bringing in eggs and small cats, and raising them all the way.  One year I must have raised more than 100.  That can be a lot of work!  The last few years I've been mostly letting them do their thing outdoors and bring healthy chrysalises I find in.  I usually grab a few cats to bring inside.

Butterflies are late this year.  I finally have a couple tigers hanging around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Good stuff @BlizzardNole. Impressed. Looks like a 4 or 5 instar on the first pic of this page.

How long you been at this, if ya don’t mind?

I got a butterfly garden started about 12 years ago and have been raising monarchs every summer since then.  I used to do the whole deal bringing in eggs and small cats, and raising them all the way.  One year I must have raised more than 100.  That can be a lot of work!  The last few years I've been mostly letting them do their thing outdoors and bring healthy chrysalises I find in.  I usually grab a few cats to bring inside.

Butterflies are late this year.  I finally have a couple tigers hanging around.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

I got a butterfly garden started about 12 years ago and have been raising monarchs every summer since then.  I used to do the whole deal bringing in eggs and small cats, and raising them all the way.  One year I must have raised more than 100.  That can be a lot of work!  The last few years I've been mostly letting them do their thing outdoors and bring healthy chrysalises I find in.  I usually grab a few cats to bring inside.

Butterflies are late this year.  I finally have a couple tigers hanging around.

Yes.  I don't know what it is, but the fireflies were late and the butterflies were late.  Very odd.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ty, @BlizzardNole. That’s awesome. Apprec.

I'm going into year four with this hobby and having a blast. Raised and released sixty five monarchs last year. And one black swallow. (Midlife crisis ftw.)

Been a strange season so far like others have echoed. Lightning bugs were way late, and few, compared to previous. Only seen three yellow swallows in the wild and no black swallows except for the ones that over wintered on my porch. Way fun to go from Aug of last year to this Spring and have twenty of ‘em emerge.

Still haven’t seen a monarch this season as well. But did find these four cats today on my milkweed. :)

D05B1C4C-2F2F-4668-9D22-04099FCD76B7.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!  The lack of butterflies is really weird this year; hopefully we'll see more soon.  Next year I want to add some plants to try to get black swallows.  I am glad that my hummingbirds are always reliable, arriving end of April and staying until September.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a monarch out in the garden over the weekend, was going to town on our Mexican sunflowers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

What varieties of tomatoes are those?

The reddest one is Better Boy and the off colored is Mr. Stripey. The Mr. Stripey is like candy. So sweet and juicy. I pick them on the early side because if they are on the vine too long, they can crack and bugs go at them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, LP08 said:

First time I’ve put pumpkins (or a garden for that matter).  They’ll probably be ripe by August hah.

6327306F-4824-433E-9376-5EC27A60460B.jpeg

Grow pumpkins they said....

BC685AE9-F0A3-4436-9A3C-7A561968FA2C.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 7:17 PM, WxUSAF said:

We’ve got 2 monarch caterpillars on our butterfly weed!

 

On 7/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, mappy said:

I saw a monarch out in the garden over the weekend, was going to town on our Mexican sunflowers

Four in chrys, with another four cats frassing like crazy on the porch right now. Still haven’t seen an adult yet, lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FXW176 said:

 

Four in chrys, with another four cats frassing like crazy on the porch right now. Still haven’t seen an adult yet, lol.

i am almost positive it was one. mr map questioned me if it was one of those impostor butterflies, but pretty sure it was a monarch. haven't seen any caterpillars

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mappy said:

i am almost positive it was one. mr map questioned me if it was one of those impostor butterflies, but pretty sure it was a monarch. haven't seen any caterpillars

That’s awesome. Thought I saw one the other day while watching through the kitchen window in front of my functioning dishwasher.

Alas, it was only a swallowtail. :(

But my dishes were washed! :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FXW176 said:

That’s awesome. Thought I saw one the other day while watching through the kitchen window in front of my functioning dishwasher.

Alas, it was only a swallowtail. :(

But my dishes were washed! :)

thats some shade against waterboy :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a prolific crop of zucchini and yellow squash so far this season I had to pull all of them out of the ground yesterday.  I thought the few yellowing leaves were just a sign of the heat and entering the latter part of summer.  Then they really started going downhill....after a close inspection I found vine borers had already done too much damage to try to salvage the plants.

Not too bent out of shape about it but it does frustrate me that I didnt pick up on it earlier.  The family is pretty sick of squash by now but I hate losing plants like that.....its always something.

On a side note...we are not big fried food people but I did make some fried zucchini sat evening.  Turned out great but the show was stolen when I threw in some of the refrigerator pickles that I made about a week ago.  Some ranch dipping sauce and a ripe IPA...that was dinner!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poolz1 said:

After a prolific crop of zucchini and yellow squash so far this season I had to pull all of them out of the ground yesterday.  I thought the few yellowing leaves were just a sign of the heat and entering the latter part of summer.  Then they really started going downhill....after a close inspection I found vine borers had already done too much damage to try to salvage the plants.

Not too bent out of shape about it but it does frustrate me that I didnt pick up on it earlier.  The family is pretty sick of squash by now but I hate losing plants like that.....its always something.

On a side note...we are not big fried food people but I did make some fried zucchini sat evening.  Turned out great but the show was stolen when I threw in some of the refrigerator pickles that I made about a week ago.  Some ranch dipping sauce and a ripe IPA...that was dinner!

Totally normal. I plant a second crop around July 4th. Old plants are done but new ones are looking great. I'll start picking that batch in a couple weeks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Totally normal. I plant a second crop around July 4th. Old plants are done but new ones are looking great. I'll start picking that batch in a couple weeks. 

I started a new crop 2 weeks ago and they are sprouting...Im a little behind.  I was really trying to see how long I could keep them producing by picking regularly and pruning here and there.

Have you ever tried a second cucumber crop?  I planted a few when I started the squash but dont know if I am wasting my time or not with them.  Never tried a second round of cukes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I started a new crop 2 weeks ago and they are sprouting...Im a little behind.  I was really trying to see how long I could keep them producing by picking regularly and pruning here and there.

Have you ever tried a second cucumber crop?  I planted a few when I started the squash but dont know if I am wasting my time or not with them.  Never tried a second round of cukes....

Yup. A second cucumber crop is doable. I start it around July 4th also.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of butterflies in the garden today; two monarchs, three tiger swallowtails, at least one black swallowtail and lots of skippers 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.