Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20 - 21 Winter Storm Threat

NEG NAO

15 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

For this winter I'd take that and run if it was the final outcome.

I do think the Euro being that much further NW with the heavy snow axis is a big red flag for the GFS, the snowmap is a little deceiving because it includes snow thats already on the ground but it looks like heaviest snow axis would be Baltimore to Philly to Allentown to just West of NYC 

I like having the EURO and the NAM in my camp BUT I am still going with the lower CMC amount for today because of what has happened previously - that could change have to wait for temp profiles tomorrow and speed of the storm

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

I like having the EURO and the NAM in my camp BUT I am still going with the lower CMC amount for today because of what has happened previously - that could change have to wait for temp profiles tomorrow and speed of the storm

Temp profiles shouldn't be any issue for our area with the initial overrunning if it actually comes in and makes it to this latitude. Generating a snowpack would also enhance the threat of some icing later on but yea these are all details to sort out. Right now we have to see where this overrunning really sets up. 

1 minute ago, NEG NAO said:

Temp profiles are the least of our worries now.  Let’s actually get the core of the WAA precip this far north and east.  If we do we will see 4-8 inches before any changeover.  If not we won’t see much of anything 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Temp profiles are the least of our worries now.  Let’s actually get the core of the WAA precip this far north and east.  If we do we will see 4-8 inches before any changeover.  If not we won’t see much of anything 

Yea this seems pretty cut or dry and basically all or nothing unfortunately, either the overrunning gets here and it's at least advisory likely warning level snowfall or it doesn't and it's trace to rain.

5 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Winter Storm Watch in effect here from Wednesday morning thru Wednesday night for 3-5" of snow and a light glaze of ice.

NJZ009-010-012-015-PAZ070-071-101>106-191100-  
/O.NEW.KPHI.WS.A.0004.190220T1100Z-190221T0600Z/  
HUNTERDON-SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-MERCER-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-  
WESTERN CHESTER-EASTERN CHESTER-WESTERN MONTGOMERY-  
EASTERN MONTGOMERY-UPPER BUCKS-LOWER BUCKS-  

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF FLEMINGTON, SOMERVILLE, NEW BRUNSWICK,  
TRENTON, MEDIA, PHILADELPHIA, HONEY BROOK, OXFORD, WEST CHESTER,  
KENNETT SQUARE, COLLEGEVILLE, POTTSTOWN, NORRISTOWN, LANSDALE,  
CHALFONT, PERKASIE, MORRISVILLE, AND DOYLESTOWN  

316 PM EST MON FEB 18 2019  

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH  
LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT...  

* WHAT...HEAVY MIXED PRECIPITATION POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW  
ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF A LIGHT  
GLAZE POSSIBLE.  

* WHERE...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY AND  
SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.  

* WHEN...FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.  

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT. THE  
HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS COULD IMPACT THE MORNING OR EVENING  
COMMUTE.  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT  
SNOW, SLEET OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE  
TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.   

Upton isn’t buying anything more than 1-2 inches for the entire metro area and for good reason. Their new disco just came out. This is another poor setup for us. 1-2 inches is a best case scenario IMO and we may very well only see a trace. Upton’s Disco: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=OKX&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Upton isn’t buying anything more than 1-2 inches for the entire metro area and for good reason. Their new disco just came out. This is another poor setup for us. 1-2 inches is a best case scenario IMO and we may very well only see a trace. Upton’s Disco: https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=OKX&issuedby=OKX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

It's colder this time around

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

How come the mid atlantic is getting several inches if this is a poor setup?

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

How come the mid atlantic is getting several inches if this is a poor setup?

For us. I don’t care about the mid-Atlantic nor was I talking about them. It’s an obvious poor setup for us, Upton agrees. And it doesn’t matter that it’s colder, it’s irrelevant, read their disco they explain the bad setup very well

13 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

For us. I don’t care about the mid-Atlantic nor was I talking about them. It’s an obvious poor setup for us, Upton agrees. And it doesn’t matter that it’s colder, it’s irrelevant, read their disco they explain the bad setup very well

I agreed with you for last nights bust but if the pecip gets in quicker its a great setup.  This is no way a bad setup the snow just needs to arrive sooner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allgame830 said:

I agreed with you for last nights bust but if the pecip gets in quicker its a great setup.  This is no way a bad setup the snow just needs to arrive sooner.

The setup isn’t going to allow that to happen though. The Upton disco touched on just that. And last night was a total dumpster fire bust a rama. Why people thought it was going to snow with those soundings, even up by me is just mind boggling

8 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Hopefully your wrong.  But I think your setting yourself up for disappointment,  like we've all had this year.

10 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

namconus_asnow_neus_20.png

Looks like if you are south of I-80 and west of the Hudson its a SECS

Those 10:1 NAM maps are grossly overdone because they count sleet as snow. Use the “positive snow depth” option, much more accurate: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2019021818&fh=69

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Those 10:1 NAM maps are grossly overdone because they count sleet as snow. Use the “positive snow depth” option, much more accurate: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2019021818&fh=69

Is the NAM ever even right? ANd anyway, it will change by tomorrow. But I could see Upton not thinking much of this one but the areas just to the south maybe doing a little better, like 3-4. that would be Mt Holly's wheelhouse.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Is the NAM ever even right? ANd anyway, it will change by tomorrow. But I could see Upton not thinking much of this one but the areas just to the south maybe doing a little better, like 3-4. that would be Mt Holly's wheelhouse.

Nam mostly sucks. I would wait until tomorrow 12z runs to really see if that plume of moisture makes it north. That high is really pressing it so there’ll be some crazy precip gradients. Like philly could get 8 inches and we can get an inch. The precip is getting shredded by that stubborn high. 

2 minutes ago, SnowFreak2000 said:

Nam mostly sucks. I would wait until tomorrow 12z runs to really see if that plume of moisture makes it north. That high is really pressing it so there’ll be some crazy precip gradients. Like philly could get 8 inches and we can get an inch. The precip is getting shredded by that stubborn high. 

The 12Z Euro sucks too ? It is siding with the NAM - so how about the GFS ? Have to have an open mind about this situation until close enough to make a good call but I think this is going to be another nowcasting event....

51 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I have to disagree, this is a classic WAA front-end thump. It happened a few years ago where we had like 5-6" in an hour or two. 

There's a reason why warnings are up in the Mid-Atlantic. But we're definitely on the northern edge of this, so it'll be a close call. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1