Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30, 2019 Snow Squall Observations Thread

bluewave

12 hours ago, bluewave said:

This brief whiteout lasting 2-4 minutes rivaled some of the best blizzards here at their peaks. The rest of the event outside those few minutes was moderate to heavy. Easily the best few minutes of winter 18-19 so far.

It reminded me of Jan 2018!  Remember that?  Except it only lasted like 30 min.  Jan 2018 had these conditions for six straight hours!

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Pretty wimpy in Rhinebeck, NY, on the top of Burger Hill (exposed elevation with roughly 400 feet of prominence). I had no trouble standing in the strongest gusts, and vis never dropped below about 100 meters. Still exciting to watch the scud and blowing snow envelop the Catskills and Hudson River.

I thought you would do some nice time lapse :P

14 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

yep, just a rare winter-time version. this line is strongly forced by the arrival of the bitter cold air mass. see 925mb temperature advection below:

925_T_adv.thumb.png.1b1b85f6608941609acce0756856d6d7.png

the sfc-3km lapse rates posted on the previous page would be displaced much higher in the atmosphere during a summer-time event, although not to the magnitude observed today. a 140KT 500mb jet in spring/summer would also be outrageous. many of the large-scale tornado outbreaks are associated with 100KT up there.

why dont we see this kind of thing every time an arctic front comes through?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I thought you would do some nice time lapse :P

I wasn't really sure what to expect with the squall so in case things did got dicey, I went without my camera gear to stay as mobile as possible. Planned to get some footage on my phone, but it died from the cold just as the squall approached. Oh well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

I wasn't really sure what to expect with the squall so in case things did got dicey, I went without my camera gear to stay as mobile as possible. Planned to get some footage on my phone, but it died from the cold just as the squall approached. Oh well. 

Yes these camera batteries (and phone batteries) seem to be really sensitive to cold weather.  We need to have AC power for long time lapses.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes these camera batteries (and phone batteries) seem to be really sensitive to cold weather.  We need to have AC power for long time lapses.

OEM Nikon batteries at least seem to hold their own pretty well. I'm out shooting sunrise on the river and have been on the same battery since I got here around 5:45... it's about -3F here atm. Long or many exposures seem to be the real problem in cold wx, which is probably why I had so much trouble in the eclipse 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

OEM Nikon batteries at least seem to hold their own pretty well. I'm out shooting sunrise on the river and have been on the same battery since I got here around 5:45... it's about -3F here atm. Long or many exposures seem to be the real problem in cold wx, which is probably why I had so much trouble in the eclipse 

For the next eclipse, astro or long lapse series do you have an alternate source of power available to you?  Nikon has some pretty nice accessories like battery grips that can hold multiple batteries and alternate sources of power should you need them.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

For the next eclipse, astro or long lapse series do you have an alternate source of power available to you?  Nikon has some pretty nice accessories like battery grips that can hold multiple batteries and alternate sources of power should you need them.

Agreed with the battery grip for sure. 

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

It reminded me of Jan 2018!  Remember that?  Except it only lasted like 30 min.  Jan 2018 had these conditions for six straight hours!

At my location, the visibility at the height of yesterdays squall was lower than at the height of the January 2018 blizzard (50 - 75 yards vs 100 - 150 yards).  I'll post some video.

Easy to see what is meant by a white out from yesterday's example.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m heading west on the LiRR right now having started in wantagh snow amounts increase around the queens line. 

Similar to a summer thunderstorm event the ocean acted to weaken the connective line!

The north shore fared well with this one relative to the typical disintegration of summer storms.  

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The north shore fared well with this one relative to the typical disintegration of summer storms.  

Nice, there is basically nothing in wantagh. Nice little snow cover up here on the uws. It’s possible it had more to do with initial temps as the wind was screaming off the water before the squall 

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Nice, there is basically nothing in wantagh. Nice little snow cover up here on the uws. It’s possible it had more to do with initial temps as the wind was screaming off the water before the squall 

I had a whiteout similar to the video clip below here in SW Suffolk. It was the most intense snow squall that I have seen on Long Island. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/pcavlin/status/1090725617308438529

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I had a whiteout similar to the video clip below here in SW Suffolk. It was the most intense snow squall that I have seen on Long Island. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/pcavlin/status/1090725617308438529

That's how it looked here.  i posted video above.  If you pay attention to the winds shifting during the clip, from the left is south and from the right is north.  I do think that may have been the lowest visibility (outside of isolated wind gusts) that i have ever seen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

That's how it looked here.  i posted video above.  If you pay attention to the winds shifting during the clip, from the left is south and from the right is north.  I do think that may have been the lowest visibility (outside of isolated wind gusts) that i have ever seen.

Yeah, it was pretty close to the lowest visibility in snow for me also. Similar to the peak wind gust intervals during our best blizzards. The video you posted is very close to what I experienced on the South Shore. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 3:02 PM, NorthShoreWx said:

we had 0 visibility here too- it's just that a lot of the snow didn't stick, ended up with a coating.