Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

1 minute ago, daxx said:

Yes we will probably rain.  We can hope for more front and back end of storm.

absolutely.  EVERYTHING we are seeing so far (even the warm biased CTP disco) suggests we are not far away from staying frozen.  Just not sure were the very wet signal is coming from? Thru 72 for storm 1, I am now all snow on the GFS.  Snow line ticked 50 miles south.  Good trends for me so far.

Just now, pasnownut said:

absolutely.  EVERYTHING we are seeing so far (even the warm biased CTP disco) suggests we are not far away from staying frozen.  Just not sure were the very wet signal is coming from? Thru 72 for storm 1, I am now all snow on the GFS.  Snow line ticked 50 miles south.  Good trends for me so far.

I do not doubt that CAD (though for me at 800' I might lose it) can hold strong and stay frozen but I am pulling for snow and not seeing the trends moving enough.  I fear I am moving into wish-casting territory!  

Yea 540 stayed south of us along with 850.  Surface little iffy but it is the gfs, don't trust it 2m temps.

2 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I do not doubt that CAD (though for me at 800' I might lose it) can hold strong and stay frozen but I am pulling for snow and not seeing the trends moving enough.  I fear I am moving into wish-casting territory!  

'cmon bubbler...isn't it just a tad early to actually believe that the final outcome of an event more than 120 hours away is currently a lock?  There are so many more runs to go.  You know the drill with this.  It's a roller coaster and you'll drive yourself insane by deciding the outcome of a storm 5+ days out is a lock.  Like nut said, what happens with Thursday night's storm will have an effect on the Saturday storm.  Plus, as long as we have some models out there saying more frozen than liquid, we can hold out hope.

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

'cmon bubbler...isn't it just a tad early to actually believe that the final outcome of an event more than 120 hours away is currently a lock?  There are so many more runs to go.  You know the drill with this.  It's a roller coaster and you'll drive yourself insane by deciding the outcome of a storm 5+ days out is a lock.  Like nut said, what happens with Thursday night's storm will have an effect on the Saturday storm.  Plus, as long as we have some models out there saying more frozen than liquid, we can hold out hope.

I am looking at it realistically in that we need a high pressure to our North or North East to keep a low from gaining latitude.  But I am far from getting to the point of not watching models however I do not see any meteorological reason that we can get a big snow storm this weekend at this point. 

2 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

There is plenty of time left and final evolution of Friday still in question, let alone Sunday.  I know I'm a half full kinda guy, and i try not to let that get in the way of what I see, but GFS up to 96 looked better w/ LP position, and beyind is fuzzy enough to not worry about 1 run.  IF all others trend NW, then fine...goose cooked.

There is plenty of time left and final evolution of Friday still in question, let alone Sunday.  I know I'm a half full kinda guy, and i try not to let that get in the way of what I see, but GFS up to 96 looked better w/ LP position, and beyind is fuzzy enough to not worry about 1 run.  IF all others trend NW, then fine...goose cooked.

That sounds reasonable to me.  And...even if we lose out on this weekend I think we're going into a pretty exciting period with arctic air to play with and storm potentials.

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Seeing it drive a 993 up into Albany is kind of crazy. 

8 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

6 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I am looking at it realistically in that we need a high pressure to our North or North East to keep a low from gaining latitude.  But I am far from getting to the point of not watching models however I do not see any meteorological reason that we can get a big snow storm this weekend at this point. 

I see both points here...while it's a great thing to be optimistic and and understand that there's a lot that can happen 4 days out, from a scientific point it's just not a good set up at all for a snowstorm. Many really good mets beyond Eric Horst have said that on here for the past several days. So while it's fine to hold out hope and perhaps pull off something really good...smart odds are on this being primarily a rainer. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Seeing it drive a 993 up into Albany is kind of crazy. 

looking at 500's it can happen.  What i'm troubled w/ regarding GFS evolution, is look at the 700's and the arctic express looming.  I just dont see how even at 993, it can push back that deep a pool of cold air.  Were it Polar pacific in origin, I'd get it, but this is true Nanook of da north - polar express kinda stuff and doesnt just get bounced around.  See my point.

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I see both points here...while it's a great thing to be optimistic and and understand that there's a lot that can happen 4 days out, from a scientific point it's just not a good set up at all for a snowstorm. Many really good mets beyond Eric Horst have said that on here for the past several days. So while it's fine to hold out hope and perhaps pull off something really good...smart odds are on this being primarily a rainer. 

..and just to add to this, I am not making a point against Carlisle in any manner.  He is as good as they come as to a weather poster.  I was not trying to be pessimistic I was just hoping to see reason for it to snow show up in the GFS and I am having trouble finding it.  The fact that it drives the Low near Erie is not the issue vs. finding why it would keep it in VA.

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

looking at 500's it can happen.  What i'm troubled w/ regarding GFS evolution, is look at the 700's and the arctic express looming.  I just dont see how even at 993, it can push back that deep a pool of cold air.  Were it Polar pacific in origin, I'd get it, but this is true Nanook of da north - polar express kinda stuff and doesnt just get bounced around.  See my point.

I certainly see your point I am just so used to feeling like we need a strong HP there to help resist this from happening and the high is running away like a scared school child. 

and to add to my point, we never loose the 700's even w/ that track (thanks to storm #1).  850's are toast, but warm nose is shallow

1 minute ago, bubbler86 said:

I certainly see your point I am so used to feeling like we need a strong HP there to help resist this from happening. 

we have a 1036 that just showed up to the party.  yeah he got bounced out, but couple that with the arctic express, and that is my way home w/ this one.  I'm likely off my rocker, but that is my angle.  To me, LP would adjust as we get closer.  500's say I'm lost as well, but again, I go back to surface as there is enough cold close to save some of us.

we have a 1036 that just showed up to the party.  yeah he got bounced out, but couple that with the arctic express, and that is my way home w/ this one.  I'm likely off my rocker, but that is my angle.  To me, LP would adjust as we get closer.  500's say I'm lost as well, but again, I go back to surface as there is enough cold close to save some of us.

I agree that the location of that HP is crucial. On the Monday 0Z GFS it was pressing down and we are all snow. Future runs have show it ahead and further north of the low.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I am starting to cave to the fact that a very wet Saturday night is going to be in store.  We are going to be flooded with warm air as the LP approaches and there really is nothing to make it do anything other than what is being depicted which is run right along the boundary which looks to be too close to us.  We can surely get some freezing rain but snow wise it is not looking good.  12Z GFS is bringing low #1 into Pitt!  Ugh.  

I don't think that anything is going to get settled until Thursday. And I hope Thursday will be showing better results for Sat/Sunday

4 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

To add insult to injury, the GFS suggests we are going to have some serious hydro issues over the next 7-10 days.  5 inches of rain.  

liquid equivalent

fixed. way too early to call it wet

1 minute ago, lpaschall said:

I agree that the location of that HP is crucial. On the Monday 0Z GFS it was pressing down and we are all snow. Future runs have show it ahead and further north of the low.

yeah man.  thats the problem.  We need that to hold 6-10 hours longer, till the arctic air force comes in and does a strafing run on the whole village and saves us.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

liquid equivalent

fixed. way too early to call it wet

LOL, no question I am just reading off what the model shows.  Just a model discussion.  As you have alluded to whatever happens this weekend will change the future anyway.