Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We rarely get sustained neg NAO patterns. Most of our snows in the last 8-10 years have been during NAO fluxes. Like I said....give me the other teleconnections and I will take my chances with the nao index teetering back and fro.....dont need an epic nao look that is probably too much of a good thing. 

What do you mean, seems like every spring since 2010 we've had a sustained neg nao :lol: 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I think saturday night has the potential to overperform. The snow maps are based at 10:1 and I would be very surprised if we only saw 10:1 ratios. JB was saying something about 30:1 ratios but even 15:1 would make this a solid advisory event for SE PA. Extreme SNJ may get a warning event out of this..

My interest level is slightly raised. The ticks N continue. And I agree with an advisory level event. Check out the changes on the NAM vs 6z:

namconus_ref_frzn_us_fh42_trend.gif

Eta: look back at the slp in the Miss River valley not the waa stuff

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

My interest lever is slightly raised. The ticks N continue. And I agree with an advisory level event. Check out the changes on the NAM vs 6z:

namconus_ref_frzn_us_fh42_trend.gif

As we get closer, you can see the intensity of the WAA snows increasing which is normal. I expect the ticks N to continue up to the event which is very common with WAA. 

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

As we get closer, you can see the intensity of the WAA snows increasing which is normal. I expect the ticks N to continue up to the event which is very common with WAA. 

The waa will do the usual waa thing and over perform slightly. I'm more interested in the trends with that ULL feature in the midwest. If it comes east and maintains rather than get squashed S and sheared some areas may get a surprise from the second doink.

Eta: probably more of a DC impact than us

GGEM came N and W with the coastal low. If I lived S and E of Philly into S NJ I would start paying close attention. Not sure how much more adjustments we can see to help the NW folks and if it will be enough to get us in the coastal banding up here or not. Still c-2" up here with 3" lollis seems reasonable for now. 

GFS hangs the surface low back just off hatteras as it waits for ul energy to catch up. Not much change up this way however. It looks like the odd one out still irt the wishy washy waa depiction then diving ull in like other guidance which has it farther N and moving due E or even slightly amplifying raising heights along coast.

We toss?

54 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS hangs the surface low back just off hatteras as it waits for ul energy to catch up. Not much change up this way however. It looks like the odd one out still irt the wishy washy waa depiction then diving ull in like other guidance which has it farther N and moving due E or even slightly amplifying raising heights along coast.

We toss?

Not sure. The GFS is an enigma. I'll never forget that triple low off NYC where we threw out GFS run after GFS run and it turned out to be right and took the storm out to sea. Centralized pressure moving closer = more dynamic setup. More dynamic = More like the NAM

54 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We toss?

Weenie handbook rule #1: Toss the model that gives the least amount of snow!

Seriously, just whiten my lawn tomorrow and I'll be happy. Then we can start obsessing over next weekend's storm.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Weenie handbook rule #1: Toss the model that gives the least amount of snow!

Seriously, just whiten my lawn tomorrow and I'll be happy. Then we can start obsessing over next weekend's storm.

Agreed! First time in almost 2 months for most of us for having some snow on the door step. I like it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Agreed! First time in almost 2 months for most of us for having some snow on the door step. I like it.

Difference between you and the rest of us is you have the added pressure/stress to get your pile started so accumulation (inches) is a must! Us normal snow weenies will take just a lawn coating to lower our blood pressure. A Birds win over the Saints will do the same...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Difference between you and the rest of us is you have the added pressure/stress to get your pile started so accumulation (inches) is a must! Us normal snow weenies will take just a lawn coating to lower our blood pressure. A Birds win over the Saints will do the same...

Both would be fine with me :-)

Been following the MA thread and the joy as every 6 hours totals get bumped up yet the "wall" seems to run through Philly north of it the only increases have been in hundreths of an inch. This is the worst confluence problem since 2010, only that in 2010 Monmouth still got pummeled lol