Total Members
    Most Online
    wxRob_Coleman
    Newest Member
    wxRob_Coleman
Steve

Let's Talk Winter!!

Just now, OHweather said:

Maybe you're just north of Wright Pat.  I've been checking ODOT cams it is snowing in/north of downtown Dayton.  The CC line on radar is pretty accurate based on where you can see snow flakes on cameras. 

No, it is heavy sleet. I saw this same stuff during GHD 2011. It looks like snow, but it is not. CMH had this same thing in February 2014 and had to revise down snow totals from 10.7 inches to 6.8 inches in a similar fashion.

2 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

No, it is heavy sleet. I saw this same stuff during GHD 2011. It looks like snow, but it is not. CMH had this same thing in February 2014 and had to revise down snow totals from 10.7 inches to 6.8 inches in a similar fashion.

Big puffy balls of sleet I guess.  It did sleet all the way up to Troy and then changed back to snow about as far south as the middle of Dayton when the thunderstorms moved in.  The visibility also really dropped at the airport when that happened.  You must've not been watching? Or are well south of KDAY? The sleet line is inching back north now so DAY likely goes back over to it before much longer.  If it was really all sleet as you claim and they got 2" in an hour, that'd be even more nuts than if it was snow. 

Looks like 3-5" panned out across Franklin County...Dayton was on a gradient with 4-5" north and probably 2" south.  ILN's office got an inch of snow and almost a quarter inch of ice.  The idea went well but I was probably 10 or 20 miles too generous with my 1-2 and 2-4" southern cutoffs...the 3-6" area seems to be going well.  Too bad it happened so early in the morning, hard to beat thundersnow in terms of excitement.  I've been at work since 3:30 AM which is why I've been so involved in the wee hours of the morning. 

20 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Looks like 3-5" panned out across Franklin County...Dayton was on a gradient with 4-5" north and probably 2" south.  ILN's office got an inch of snow and almost a quarter inch of ice.  The idea went well but I was probably 10 or 20 miles too generous with my 1-2 and 2-4" southern cutoffs...the 3-6" area seems to be going well.  Too bad it happened so early in the morning, hard to beat thundersnow in terms of excitement.  I've been at work since 3:30 AM which is why I've been so involved in the wee hours of the morning. 

You were spot on for Newark. Over 4" now and snowing like crazy.

• Like 1

Right after I made my post a little after 2am last night we went straight over to FR RN then plain rain a couple hours later, total snow might have hit 2".  At 5am WPAFB reported thundersnow and I work near the base and there's at least 4" of heavy wet snow still on the ground here.

5 hours ago, Minnesota_storms said:

Crazy past month for weather. We go from -30F to record snow. Minneapolis has 30'' so far this month. There's still 2 more winter storms possible. Record could be broken by over a foot.

It could become one of the snowiest months on record. Currently tied in 10th.

52951174_2313845881982194_3716234780874899456_n.png.c729c9a6020696a84d4e342c0fffc419.png

huh? This is where the Ohio peeps go to hide...why troll 'em?

15 minutes ago, Baum said:

huh? This is where the Ohio peeps go to hide...why troll 'em?

Whose hiding?  We're just trying to bring some semblance of order to the most geographically fcked up sub forum on the board.   Kemtucky to the Upper Pennisula to Milwaukee to St.Louis....thats not a sub forum its a sub continent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Whose hiding?  We're just trying to bring some semblance of order to the most geographically fcked up sub forum on the board.   Kemtucky to the Upper Pennisula to Milwaukee to St.Louis....thats not a sub forum its a sub continent.

you forgot Canada  :lol:

6 hours ago, Minnesota_storms said:

Crazy past month for weather. We go from -30F to record snow. Minneapolis has 30'' so far this month. There's still 2 more winter storms possible. Record could be broken by over a foot.

It could become one of the snowiest months on record. Currently tied in 10th.

52951174_2313845881982194_3716234780874899456_n.png.c729c9a6020696a84d4e342c0fffc419.png

It’s Angrysummons brother!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, buckeye said:

It is rather strange. I'm seeing all these excited poster's comment in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin and I'm thinking, where did they come from? I only thought we had 1 or 2 from each of those States. But when you think about it, many of these past winters, they did not have too much to talk about while we were getting slammed. Meanwhile they're talking about this like it's some great Winter (which for them it is) and im over here all meh. Certainly its not the worst and there have been a few exciting moments, but with all the fun that has happened the past 15 years, this Winter is going to slide wayyy down to the bottom of the memory bank as soon as it's over. 

Is this some weird anomaly? Not at all. It's to be expected that when one area does well another won't do as well and vice versa. It's going to be virtually impossible for this entire sub to be enjoying the same type of season (ie good or bad), which really does make you wonder why this huge sub isnt split further.