• Last Reply

And another wind event.

...HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TUESDAY NIGHT
THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

* LOCATIONS...Niagara, Orleans, Monroe, Erie, Genesee, Wyoming,
  and Chautauqua counties.

* TIMING...From overnight Tuesday night through early Wednesday
  evening.

* WINDS...West 30 to 40 mph with gusts up to 65 mph.

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Sandwiched in between. The mid Atlantic is the obvious region for April snow. WTF? 

And we’be Got warning stuff just north of Toronto? Can’t catch a break. It’s been a while since we’ve had accumulations. 

The only consolation is that if the Mid Atl gets snow, i wouldnt begrudge them as they've mostly been screwed, blued and tatooed on snowfall for a few winters at least. Other areas, whose name cannot be mentioned, not so much. ;)

Kind of excited for this wind event tonight into tomorrow.  The track looks far more favorable and the low pressure is deeper (and deepening) than the last few wind events in 2018; which have been pretty lame.  As with the March 15th, 2017 event, the strongest winds should come tomorrow when the atmosphere will be very well mixed.  Hoping we can get a few hours of 60+ gusts.    The lack of continuity between KBUF and PA is impressive.  Our high wind watches just magically end right at the PA border.  

This pattern is pretty nuts.  Misery loves company I guess...kind of nice it's not just a cutoff low spinning over the Northeast and crapping on us.  The extent of cold and southward extent of snow for this time of year is impressive.  Did some giant volcano explode somewhere that no one knows about, giving us a modern day "Year of never ending polar flow into the U.S."? ??

I actually thought I escaped for a few days, arriving in Tulsa, OK last night for a work trip.  Had a very pleasant walk through part of the city this morning, light southerly breeze and temp near 60.  Felt great!  When I went out again for lunch, the wind had flipped to the north, temp down in the 40's, and a wicked wind chill.  WTF!!  It's like this freaking Canadian shield air mass won't get off my a$#@s!  

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

This pattern is pretty nuts.  Misery loves company I guess...kind of nice it's not just a cutoff low spinning over the Northeast and crapping on us.  The extent of cold and southward extent of snow for this time of year is impressive.  Did some giant volcano explode somewhere that no one knows about, giving us a modern day "Year of never ending polar flow into the U.S."? ??

I actually thought I escaped for a few days, arriving in Tulsa, OK last night for a work trip.  Had a very pleasant walk through part of the city this morning, light southerly breeze and temp near 60.  Felt great!  When I went out again for lunch, the wind had flipped to the north, temp down in the 40's, and a wicked wind chill.  WTF!!  It's like this freaking Canadian shield air mass won't get off my a$#@s!  

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/tired-of-extremely-cold-noreasters-blame-arctic-warming

1 hour ago, WesterlyWx said:

The next week 850mb temps will be between -6 and -16c. This is like December not April. Just insanity. 

It's mind blowing stuff. The snowstorm this weekend is going to be suppressed in almost mid April. Snowstorm in the Virginias/Mid atlantic and outside chance of Carolina mountains. LOL

I'll be in the mid 80s in south Florida though. 

gfs_T850_us_16.png

45 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Not impressed at all with the winds here so far. I would guess we haven’t gusted much above 40-45mph. Hopefully we see things ramp up quickly if we are to see those 65-70mph gust be realized.

We need some sun to really mix these winds down.  If it clears up for a few hours, watch out!  That said, I've already had a gust to 55 in my 'hood on the West side of Rochester.

Most of the lights are out around here. 

1105 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 1 WSW BROCKPORT         43.21N  77.97W
04/04/2018  M58 MPH          MONROE             NY   MESONET

1110 AM     NON-TSTM WND DMG CORFU                   42.96N  78.40W
04/04/2018                   GENESEE            NY   BROADCAST MEDIA

SEMI TRUCK OVERTURNED NEAR DARIEN LAKE

1110 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 2 SW FREDONIA           42.42N  79.37W
04/04/2018  M61 MPH          CHAUTAUQUA         NY   MESONET

1110 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 4 SSW EAST AURORA       42.71N  78.63W
04/04/2018  M59 MPH          ERIE               NY   MESONET

1115 AM     NON-TSTM WND GST 3 NE SOUTH BRISTOL      42.75N  77.36W
04/04/2018  M62 MPH          ONTARIO            NY   MESONET