• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

nrgjeff

Spring and Summer Banter 2018

5 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

I really wish the NCAA and NFL would both have the same rules.Keep it simple.

Too many egos for that to work.  I agree with you though, nfl is gonna sway the see saw too much with one of these rule changes eventually and then there gonna be screwed.  NCAA is a joke anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah they both are screwed up.One rule i dont like in college is the pass interference,that should be a spot foul.

NFL can't even figure out what a catch is.You can throw to the sideline and all you have to do is have two feet down and control.You throw horizontal you have to have two feet down,control plus make a football player move.The heck with the player football move.When you have two feet down and control that should be a catch,if someone comes and waste you and you fumble,too bad, so sad.:P

• Like 2

Wanted to post on this for a while, but it makes me feel a bit like I should be wearing a foil hat when I think about it.  I've noticed that there are a lot of times but definitely not all the time, when there is a weather system or favorable conditions for storms that there is often a heavier bullseye of precip right near Watts Bar nuclear plant.  Its not always over the plant but sometimes is, usually its just east, or north of the plant.  I see this in a lot of events when checking both Hytop Radar, and MRX radar and both show the same thing.  I've read a few stories on nuclear plants effecting really a micro-scale area with its steam discharge, one of the most interesting I read several years back was in PA. (Nuclear Plant Snow Article LiveScience) very interesting read.  Was curious if the effect I see at Watts Bar is something similar.  See attached radar image from MRX, Hytop corroborates the estimate.  Could be coincidental, but I just wonder if there is the possibility of the mass amount of steam released has any potential impact on the micro scale.

The image below the larger diameter circle is the area I usually see these anomalies the smaller circle is where the plant is located, just to the northwest inside the larger circle there are measurements over 2" precipitation .  Any thoughts on this?  Should I put my foil hat back on?

BTW lurking waiting for winter....

Nuke Precipitable Water.jpg

• Like 3

Actually Oak Ridge has a secret program at there; goal is to cause flash flooding over drug crops, terrorist bases, or Russian non-regular forces in Eastern Europe.

Just kidding! It has something to do with outside investors trying to undercut Chattanooga FC. Well, actually it's not that either...

Theta E might be enhanced on the micro-scale above cooling towers. Coal plants sometimes use cooling towers too; so, they have nothing to do with the reactor. Anyway thanks to the Bernoulli Effect inside the towers, with their shape, it does become cooler and humid inside the tower. Air rises from below and of course out the top. Air warms back to ambient temps (or very slightly higher) at the top. Very slightly higher is the heat transfer which cooled the water for the Plant. One can see from the steam that Theta E is slightly elevated. 

Inside of those towers is pretty interesting. It is like a giant car radiator with air moving over the snaking pipes from below to above. Anyway you have that Theta E air already rising a bit, which could explain the micro-climate described above. Effect only matters if the weather pattern already favors showers; otherwise, steam just evaporates right above the tower.

Hope that's interesting. Also hope my dry humor works in banter.  Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Actually Oak Ridge has a secret program at there; goal is to cause flash flooding over drug crops, terrorist bases, or Russian non-regular forces in Eastern Europe.

Just kidding! It has something to do with outside investors trying to undercut Chattanooga FC. Well, actually it's not that either...

Theta E might be enhanced on the micro-scale above cooling towers. Coal plants sometimes use cooling towers too; so, they have nothing to do with the reactor. Anyway thanks to the Bernoulli Effect inside the towers, with their shape, it does become cooler and humid inside the tower. Air rises from below and of course out the top. Air warms back to ambient temps (or very slightly higher) at the top. Very slightly higher is the heat transfer which cooled the water for the Plant. One can see from the steam that Theta E is slightly elevated. 

Inside of those towers is pretty interesting. It is like a giant car radiator with air moving over the snaking pipes from below to above. Anyway you have that Theta E air already rising a bit, which could explain the micro-climate described above. Effect only matters if the weather pattern already favors showers; otherwise, steam just evaporates right above the tower.

Hope that's interesting. Also hope my dry humor works in banter.  Cheers!

Hmm...  Might explain why my Bell Peppers haven't done well this year, surely they can correctly identify my bell peppers from space and that they are not the illegal variety their secret program is intended for. :maprain:

I live about 10 miles or so as the crow flies to the NE of Watts Bar, so repeated radar views over the years especially after they brought the second reactor online I have noticed it enough to make me wonder if it were possible to enhance rainfall on the extreme local area.

• Haha 1

Good afternoon,  everyone. It's been a little while since I last posted on here. I'll be posting more as winter comes closer. I also want to give an update as far as where I live. I live near La Follette now, so any reports on current conditions I post will likely be in that area.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Runman292 said:

Good afternoon,  everyone. It's been a little while since I last posted on here. I'll be posting more as winter comes closer. I also want to give an update as far as where I live. I live near La Follette now, so any reports on current conditions I post will likely be in that area.

You should definitely see an uptick in winter weather vs Knoxville, depending on the elevation you live at, a pretty decent one if it's above 1500 feet.