joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-22nd "Welcome to Spring" MECS/1958 Redux Threat

The Iceman

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man mt Holly going balls to the wall. New map has large area of 12-18". Not sure I agree as seeing widespread foot totals in late March is incredibly rare for here. These guys are the pros though, are way better than me, and have been fantastic with their calls this winter. Hope they continue here. Can't help but have PTSD this morning from last year's March disaster though...

8 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Man mt Holly going balls to the wall. New map has large area of 12-18". Not sure I agree as seeing widespread foot totals in late March is incredibly rare for here. These guys are the pros though, are way better than me, and have been fantastic with their calls this winter. Hope they continue here. Can't help but have PTSD this morning from last year's March disaster though...

For there forecast sake there probually hoping the 6z NAM was an overcorrection SE. What do you think?

1 minute ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

For there forecast sake there probually hoping the 6z NAM was an overcorrection SE. What do you think?

I think the 6z is likely an aberration. Off run nam runs have been trash all year... Not buying it right now. 500 mb looks just about perfect, don't see a huge nw cut off...someone in Lehigh valley will be screwed not upper bucks imo 00z was unanimously all big hits and the 500mb looks so great at this point I'm not sure how we lose save for far n and w. But as last March showed, nothing is a sure thing in March. 

Woke up, looked at the 6z nams and figured I  was out of it. Continued with the other mesos and changed my mind. The models still can't agree on snow totals or jackpot areas. I don't recall seeing such lack of agreement this close in. Definitly turning into a Wednesday storm for us. I don't envy Mt Holly on this one. On to the 12z runs.

16 minutes ago, wkd said:

Woke up, looked at the 6z nams and figured I  was out of it. Continued with the other mesos and changed my mind. The models still can't agree on snow totals or jackpot areas. I don't recall seeing such lack of agreement this close in. Definitly turning into a Wednesday storm for us. I don't envy Mt Holly on this one. On to the 12z runs.

It's always been a wednesday storm. today and tonight were never suppose to be more than 1-3" sleet.

latest mt holly map...expecting updates every 6 hours now but they held serve from their early am update...still expecting widespread 1FT+ over much of SE PA and CNJ.  With the new NAM, I really don't blame them. It freaking snows until 6z(2 am) Thursday. Would really be an incredible event if true. Unsurprising it printed out stupid high totals for most of SE PA with 2-2.5" of LE.  Lehigh valley though still does okay, the 1" precip line is north of Berks. I don't think the precip shield is going to be as compact as it was with that last major event here.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

7 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

latest mt holly map...expecting updates every 6 hours now but they held serve from their early am update...still expecting widespread 1FT+ over much of SE PA and CNJ.  With the new NAM, I really don't blame them. It freaking snows until 6z(2 am) Thursday. Would really be an incredible event if true. Unsurprising it printed out stupid high totals for most of SE PA with 2-2.5" of LE.  Lehigh valley though still does okay, the 1" precip line is north of Berks. I don't think the precip shield is going to be as compact as it was with that last major event here.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

This map is from yesterday afternoon.  This is the new one:

RGEM is a massive hit as well. Not as much precip as the NAM(mostly because the NAM has over double the amount of qpf with the system today, which aint happening) but is 8-12" for all with locally higher amounts. We are about as locked in as one gets on March 20th. The sharp NW cutoff has been cutoff at 12z ;)

2 minutes ago, RedSky said:

First observation of the day is wave #1 looks better for our Central and northern regions on radar more NAM like. ECM headed for an early fail it gave up here nothing today.

The NAM really isn't that outragous with wave one TBH it just has such a sharp cutoff that a 25 mile shift in precip makes a big difference. check the 12z NAM and 12z RGEM for wave one...they aren't too different, the NAM is just 25-50 miles further north with the heavier precip. Based on radar right now, I agree it looks more NAM like but you can tell it is hitting a wall coming north. It's taken forever just to get to me. We'll see in the next few hours how much it progresses. We'll know by mid afternoon whether the NAM is right or not.

namconus_apcpn_neus_6.png

rgem_apcpn_neus_18.png

For some reason I still think these readings are a bit much. Seems like everything has to come together perfectly (not unreasonable for a March 20). If this thing does not time up perfectly or sets up even 50 miles off where it is, totals are going to be very different. I just cant imagine a foot, but I am starting to think it is just to protect me from disappointment. 

9 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

I think that's an older one...

StormTotalSnowWeb (2).png

Archived