Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr
cyclone77

The March Lion Storm

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Just starting to mix in flakes here in Eastpointe, but it looks like everywhere else is already going gangbusters :thumbsup:

Got 1.25" in an hour after it started. Coming down like crazy right now in Dearborn too.

I have a really stupid question here...I have been watching radar when I can and the last half hour especially.  The whole system looks like it is getting smaller, but according to NOAA, the system is going to head north of 69 later on.  Is the system heading east it north?  I am lost.  

5" at 4 pm...still moderate snow and still at 32.  A particularly heavy band just went through. Signs of the back edge of the snow getting close unless a deformation band swings back this way.

32 minutes ago, DAWGNKITTEN said:

I have a really stupid question here...I have been watching radar when I can and the last half hour especially.  The whole system looks like it is getting smaller, but according to NOAA, the system is going to head north of 69 later on.  Is the system heading east it north?  I am lost.  

You’re correct that the system is moving more east than north.  The heaviest band along I-69 east of Flint should slowly pull east over the next few hours, but some light snow may expand back farther northwest this evening as the northern stream system combines with the southern stream system, causing new snow to develop.  So a lot of moving parts.  

Heaviest snow of the day. Detroit is pound town.

DTX has expanded the warnings. Totally justified. I might go out on a limb here..but this is easily the heaviest snow I’ve seen all winter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OHweather said:

You’re correct that the system is moving more east than north.  The heaviest band along I-69 east of Flint should slowly pull east over the next few hours, but some light snow may expand back farther northwest this evening as the northern stream system combines with the southern stream system, causing new snow to develop.  So a lot of moving parts.  

Thank you very much.  It started snowing here in Columbiaville around 3:30 and we have a light dusting on the ground now at 5:45.

Think my 2" call looks good here. Snow on radar is right on our doorsteps and slooooowly creeping north...but interesting that even under heavy returns YHM still reporting just overcast conditions. Must be a hell of a dry layer to puncture trough first.

33 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Think my 2" call looks good here. Snow on radar is right on our doorsteps and slooooowly creeping north...but interesting that even under heavy returns YHM still reporting just overcast conditions. Must be a hell of a dry layer to puncture trough first.

You're right. Had a brief look at the traffic cameras in Hamilton and it doesn't look very "wet". This could have an impact on the final amount Hamilton may receive from this storm. We'll see if columns are more saturated here in Toronto. Windsor has been recording SN+ since 3pm. 

2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

You're right. Had a brief look at the traffic cameras in Hamilton and it doesn't look very "wet". This could have an impact on the final amount Hamilton may receive from this storm. We'll see if columns are more saturated here in Toronto. Windsor has been recording SN+ since 3pm. 

+SN? Looks more like SN.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

+SN? Looks more like SN.

Yes, my bad! Seeing reports of snow in Burlington and certain areas of Hamilton now on Twitter. 

48 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Been under decent returns here for two hours or so now but barely a dusting on the car tops. Definitely dry air abound and flake size is quite small. No accumulation on pavement at all but I guess that’s to be expected after so many warm, sunny days. 

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I'm with you on this one Canuck although the latest HRR apparently has an area of 4" in the GTA. Nowcasting time!

Just now, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm with you on this one Canuck although the latest HRR apparently has an area of 4" in the GTA. Nowcasting time!

Warm ground, dry air to start, low ratios. I don't see it.

3 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I agree with Canuck. I'm leaning closer to 1-2" at this point in time. Rates aren't impressive enough for more than that. Stat pad. 

This is a high impact event despite the over all run of the mill accumulations. Around 4" or a bit above here so far, but it's basically 5:1 ratio. There are quite a few tree branches down, many streets are rutted with slush with people getting stuck, and we were treated to low visibility and massive snowflakes much of the day.  I even lost a small branch off of my fir tree.  As you would expect shoveling this is absolute heart attack esque.  It's too bad that this storm did not come at night, clearly accumulations would have been better had it done so. Actually you can even tell by the fact that White Lake, among the highest elevations in Southeast Michigan, was approaching 7" at 7pm and they had much less precip than down here.

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

This is a high impact event despite the over all run of the mill accumulations. Around 4" or a bit above here so far, but it's basically 5:1 ratio. There are quite a few tree branches down, many streets are rutted with slush with people getting stuck, and we were treated to lobe is ability and massive snowflakes much of the day.  I even lost a small branch off of my fir tree.  As you would expect shoveling this is absolute heart attack esque.  It's too bad that this storm did not come at night, clearly accumulations would have been better had it done so. Actually you can even tell by the fact that White Lake, among the highest elevations in Southeast Michigan, was approaching 7" at 7pm and they had much less precip than down here.

Yeah, though since the sun has gone down the snow is sticking better here at the airport even at a lower fall rate. Maybe a bit of a catch up here especially with that heavy band near Howell moving SE toward us.

• Like 1

Yeah, though since the sun has gone down the snow is sticking better here at the airport even at a lower fall rate. Maybe a bit of a catch up here especially with that heavy band near Howell moving SE toward us.
What are you up to there now? Saw it was 3.7" as of 00z.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Going to end up in the region of 5 or 6 inches here. Roads are an absolute slushy mess.

With the storm about over...final total is about 7" although would probably be at least 10" if it wasn't actually a little above freezing for much of the duration of the storm. Side roads are a slush fest.    

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

What are you up to there now? Saw it was 3.7" as of 00z.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I don't know, we don't do the snow measuring for the airport as we are about 70 feet in the air in a tower. Just judging by what I see on the roof, rate of fall and liquid equivalence, I would say 4.25-4.75 range.

• Like 1

Latest HRRR and 00z NAM (3 km and 12 km) is suggesting hourly snowfall rates of close to an inch for a couple of hours in the GTA, starting around 11pm or midnight.