Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yep. Ticked a bit west down in the Delmarva and a bit east up here. 

I still think we can score at least a 1 to 3 inch storm for 90% of the forum given the ensembles. Maybe we get lucky with a bit more.

The meso models will handle this storm better than the globals because of the convection involved down south.

See Jan 2016

Not saying it similar but sometimes the globals jump towards the convection.

This storm is looking very similar to Juno as of right now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Disagree here. Convection itself will not produce the best surface pressure falls. What we're interested in is how convection results in UL height rises, impacting the orientation of the Jet and downstream UL ridge. To my eye the 6z Nam is making a critical error here in collocating the best surface pressure falls with the deepest convection rather than the location further east where the best upper level divergence exists. 

There is a very broad zone of upper divergence near and East of the Bahamas. Most of the guidance has the best convection and pressure falls further east than the NAM is showing hence the further east tracks. We would need the NAM to be right here with the further west development. Remember the critical model error in January 2000 was jumping the convection and best pressure falls too far off the coast. When final studies were done on that case, the error came down to the models inability to correctly simulate the correct location and intensity of the convection. Everything else followed from that error. We would need the NAM to score a major coup here against the other guidance for a further west track. 

Zhang, F.C. Snyder, and R. Rotunno, 2003Effects of moist convection on mesoscale predictability. J. Atmos. Sci.60,11731185Link

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

There is a very broad zone of upper divergence near and East of the Bahamas. Most of the guidance has the best convection and pressure falls further east than the NAM is showing hence the further east tracks. We would need the NAM to be right here with the further west development. Remember the critical model error in January 2000 was jumping the convection and best pressure falls too far off the coast. When final studies were done on that case, the error came down to the models inability to correctly simulate the correct location and intensity of the convection. Everything else followed from that error. We would need the NAM to score a major coup here against the other guidance for a further west track. 

Rgem at 6z was also further west like the Nam. SREF is also similiar.

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I don't disagree that the convection and how that relates to surface pressure falls is and will continue to be a significant source of model error going forward. My point is the 6z NAM solution looks particularly odd if you look at the Upper levels relative to where it develops the best location of surface pressure falls. The Upper Levels closely match the GFS and Euro. To me it doesn't make sense. Now if the convection per the nam sufficiently altered the UL's that would be quite different in my view...

All that being said, I do think the mesos are onto something regarding the deep convection--so I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. But I am strongly hedging the mesos against the 0z Euro right now. 

Just now, jbenedet said:

I don't disagree that the convection and how that relates to surface pressure falls is and will continue to be a significant source of model error going forward. My point is the 6z NAM solution looks particularly odd if you look at the Upper levels relative to where it develops the best location of surface pressure falls. The Upper Levels closely match the GFS and Euro. To me it doesn't make sense. Now if the convection per the nam sufficiently altered the UL's that would be quite different in my view...

All that being said, I do think the mesos are onto something regarding the deep convection--so I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. But I am strongly hedging the mesos against the 0z Euro. 

Yeah, that was the point that I was trying to make. The models that come closest correctly simulating the most realistic location and intensity of the initial convection will carry the day here. It's a pretty high stakes game with all the models agreeing on such an intense system. Getting the exact track correct will be important for the sensible weather details further up the coast.

Archived