joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Thats horrific, and now the temps will plummet and they'll be able to ice skate to work or school.

It's the highest tide on record I believe. Truly a SnowCane. Epic stuff. Would love to be right on the shore with 2-3" of snow an hour, 60-70 mph winds, and 5 feet of water hundreds of yards inland. Can't beat that. 

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

The storm has changed snow over to FZRN/IP up in Bangor ME, clearly indicative of how close this was to a complete NE blizzard, but no cigar, maybe in the next 50 yrs, lol!

The NE forum is melting down because KBOX won’t verify the blizzard because of gust frequency. It was an awesome storm, but a fast mover, and the most impressive part was the coastal surge, not the snow totals.

30 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I don't think I've reached 2 inches yet! :weep:

Unfortunately to be expected during a NW regime, hit or miss where these multi bands setup..I had a few inches this morning, maybe another inch or two during the day, snowing pretty good currently..

39E057F3-9205-41D8-9DE7-44183B640289.jpeg

Probably not a good idea to try to summit Mt. Washington...This from the Mount Washington.org website 

A very strong area of low pressure was located about 300 miles off shore and is racing north and will pass near the eastern tip of Maine. As this storm moves north, the pressure gradient will continue to tighten and winds will quickly ramp up just after sunset. Sustained winds could be around 100 mph with much higher gusts as the storm makes its closest approach in the early overnight hours. Snowfall will continue to be heavy through the early evening hours before transitioning to upslope snow showers late. Temperatures will plummet to well below zero and continue to plummet through the day tomorrow, bottoming out somewhere near 40 below Saturday morning. Winds will relax for a short time tomorrow morning before picking back up as the cold air moves in with gusts over 100 mph likely once again along with the bitterly cold temperatures. Wind chill values could plummet to near 100 degrees below zero so frostbite can occur in less than a minute on exposed skin. The atmosphere is favorable for continued upslope snow showers into Saturday morning but with how cold the air is, not much moisture is available for snow development so if there is snow, accumulations are not expected on the summit. Lower elevations that are warmer may see some minor accumulations in favored upslope spots. High pressure builds in late in the day on Saturday with the higher summits clearing from the clouds but cold air and bitter wind chills will continue into Sunday.

1 minute ago, WNash said:

We have been under those returns, but what’s reaching the ground is extremely light. It could snow like this all night and wouldn’t add up to 1/2”.

Yeah, lots of snow in the air today but not getting the accumulations the guys in CNY are seeing.  Only exception was a wicked squall that swept through around 5PM - picked up about an inch in less than 30 minutes with that one.  

10 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Easily the heaviest snow of the event so far, flake size still looks good..About 3” in the parking lot of my job which is usually maintained pretty good..

Interesting. Flake size here has really dropped off. Vis is low as its snowing but not great accumulation conditions. Interesting that BUF expand Warnings along lakeshore westward while BGM sticks with Advisories. We've already had BGMs forecasted snowfall thru Saturday...so thinking they will adjust their map again overnight. 

From KBUF AFD this eve:

Off Lake Ontario, multiple bands will persist along the entire south shore tonight, with some upstream connections. Winds will
back more westerly during this time and will improve the fetch over the lake bringing heavier snowfall amounts to the Wayne to
Oswego county corridor later tonight.

47 minutes ago, tim123 said:

They also upped snowfall on Wayne to Oswego 12 to 24

I saw that...doesn't match their map and I'd think dendrites growth will suck as arctic airmass deepens but I suppose right near Lake shore could still hang on t o decent accums, much like the city of Oswego 3 foot freak show last weekend...

Archived