Newest Member
    joxey
December 24-25 Snow Potential

Hoosier

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Yup it is, good friend of mine. Maybe he'll post on here at some point. As to your question about lake enhancement, I do think it will occur. In the NAM 10 m wind barbs you can see the hint at low level convergence at 15-21z, north-northwest winds just offshore and north-northeast winds on the other side of the southern part of the lake. What's cool is that you can see the lake enhanced convergence at 21z with the higher wind speed just north of Lake and Porter County (also an increase from 15kt to 20kt from 18z to 21z in the north-northwest wind barb just off of Cook County).

The 00z run verbatim looks like lake enhancement would be more focused into NW IN, but with the background gradient fairly light, it wouldn't take much to turn the flow just off of Cook County to north/north-northeast. With north-northwest to northwest winds inland over NE IL, the above scenario would mean low level convergence into parts of Cook, probably downtown and south, and lake enhancement to the synoptic snowfall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

c71133c7c7b360f792ff92aea41b0090.jpg

Decent delta T to work with.  That light wind field does add some uncertainty, at least for part of Sunday, but maybe the lake adds like 1-3"?

Decent delta T to work with.  That light wind field does add some uncertainty, at least for part of Sunday, but maybe the lake adds like 1-3"?

Hoping that even if we don’t get the system to shift even more north, lake enhancement will make up for it near Chicagoland. We shall see!!

00z runs so far are not as far north as the 12z ECMWF was.  Will be interesting to see if the Euro holds or shifts a bit south.

I think important takeaway was that there were slight adjustments north in NAM and GFS which had a few cycles ago been farthest south and GEM basically held serve. But as you said not as north as Euro, so its 00z run will be interesting. No significant red flags in the modeling yet for this to miss the Chicago area and about 36 hours out til the snow gets into the CWA, I'm cautiously optimistic it's a good sign.

I could see that happening, 1-3" bump in totals where enhancement sets up. The synoptic + lake enhancement combo along with favorably deep DGZ could yield some pretty nice rates.

Euro adjusted slightly south, pretty much in line/slightly better than other foreign guidance. 2-5" verbatim on that run from northwest to southeast across the Chicago metro using the Kuchera ratio map. QPF shows a distinct lake effect signal over the lake, which may in reality be more likely to be over NW IN.

8 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Euro adjusted slightly south, pretty much in line/slightly better than other foreign guidance. 2-5" verbatim on that run from northwest to southeast across the Chicago metro using the Kuchera ratio map. QPF shows a distinct lake effect signal over the lake, which may in reality be more likely to be over NW IN.

Feeling pretty good about 3" or 4" here at this point.  Seems like somebody in northwest Indiana could get over 4"... more likely near the lake but possibly inland as well.  

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Subtract about .1 to account for the first storm

ecmwf_t_precip_greatlakes_72.thumb.png.137a76c0e56d64e1c73cc1a21833aa66.png

Another northern creeper this am. I've been watching the northern flanks of this and thinking a few miles more will make all the difference.  Currently sitting in the 0.5-0.6 line at home. We have done very well this season with the LES enhancement of systems off o Lake Erie this winter.

Archived