• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 minute ago, swva said:

Wondering if we even get hit with the band sweeping south.  Latest discussion from kbuf says band will pull closer to coast as it drifts south.  This has definitely been a huge let down..  still beautiful up here.. I guess I need to enjoy my cold and dry week now.

That's not gonna happen till much much later SWVA.  I wouldn't be concerned.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like KBGM seems a bit more confident n seeing at least a few inches.

WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING
TO NOON EST THURSDAY...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM WEDNESDAY TO 7 AM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected late tonight to late Wednesday
  night. Plan on slippery road conditions, including during the
  morning commute on Wednesday. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5
  inches are expected. Very cold wind chills expected both tonight
  and Wednesday night. Expect wind chills to range from 5 below
  to 15 below zero tonight and 10 below to 20 below zero on
  Wednesday night.

* WHERE...Onondaga County.

* WHEN...For the Winter Weather Advisory, from 1 AM Wednesday to
  7 AM EST Thursday. For the Wind Chill Advisory, from 9 PM this
  evening to noon EST Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for snow covered and slippery
  roads. The cold wind chills could cause frostbite and even
  hypothermia, especially Wednesday night.

26 minutes ago, Potvinsux said:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm researching property to buy for best LE.  It seems Worth, Lorraine, Boylston, Montague, Smartville are pretty good areas but I'm trying to find a topo map for the area you're suggesting.  Do you have a specific town I can research with the elevation? Thanks!

Nic

Great screen name LOL! 

16 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Looks like KBGM seems a bit more confident n seeing at least a few inches.

WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING
TO NOON EST THURSDAY...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM WEDNESDAY TO 7 AM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Lake effect snow expected late tonight to late Wednesday
  night. Plan on slippery road conditions, including during the
  morning commute on Wednesday. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 5
  inches are expected. Very cold wind chills expected both tonight
  and Wednesday night. Expect wind chills to range from 5 below
  to 15 below zero tonight and 10 below to 20 below zero on
  Wednesday night.

* WHERE...Onondaga County.

* WHEN...For the Winter Weather Advisory, from 1 AM Wednesday to
  7 AM EST Thursday. For the Wind Chill Advisory, from 9 PM this
  evening to noon EST Thursday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for snow covered and slippery
  roads. The cold wind chills could cause frostbite and even
  hypothermia, especially Wednesday night.

3-5" Rinse and Repeat 4ever...;) look Ma, no models! ;)

I hiked Erie County Forest today in East Concord, far southern end of the county.  Snow depth on the drive down the 219 was noticeably deep starting near the Boston/Hamburg Exit.  Conditions turned squally at the Colden Exit, but no defined lake effect band for the rest of the drive down.  The hike/snowshoeing was fantastic.  Temp hovering around 10 degrees with passing squalls.  Depth was surprisingly "only" about 18" for the first mile of the hike, heading south off Genesee Rd.  But depth increased noticeably after crossing Dresser Creek, well over my knees/3' kind of depth.  A real ball-buster breaking a trail through that to the endpoint of my hike at the Sardinia cabin (a rest stop along a snowmobile trail, complete with a picnic table and wood stove).  

I drove a few miles south after the hike around 3PM and hit what's left of the main band in Springville.  About 1"/hr. rates at that time.  

IMG_0666 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0671 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0673 (Medium).JPG

5 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

I'm rooting for you big time, swva.  Praying you're rewarded for your passion and patience!

Thanks!! I really can’t complain.  We have probably had 17-18” from the storm. It unfortunately all fell before I got here or at least most of it.

I might be a fool, and probably am, but it looks like a legit chance for the metro for LES either friday or saturday. Both models, goofus and euro have a northern stream low over michigan on friday and another one Saturday. KBUF mentions the Friday potential,  but honestly the Saturday timeframe looks perfect for a 4 to 6 hour period ahead of the low. Its hard to get excited as most of whats been advertised has just disappeared. Maybe this will be legit.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NEW YORK

...Cattaraugus County...
   Perrysburg            32.0   359 PM 12/26  Co-Op Observer

...Oswego County...
   8 N Redfield          56.9   547 PM 12/26  Co-Op Observer

Wow, very impressive!  I need to set up camp in Perrysburg during one of these events. Never been...is there anything there other than a 4 corners??

18 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I might be a fool, and probably am, but it looks like a legit chance for the metro for LES either friday or saturday. Both models, goofus and euro have a northern stream low over michigan on friday and another one Saturday. KBUF mentions the Friday potential,  but honestly the Saturday timeframe looks perfect for a 4 to 6 hour period ahead of the low. Its hard to get excited as most of whats been advertised has just disappeared. Maybe this will be legit.

I'm thinking we see more of a squall line.  Kinda like we saw a couple weeks ago we're it setup over Ontario then blew through BUF with a quick 3-5" before flow goes quickly NW

1 minute ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Yup.  They got a church and a general store and that's it. 

Does anyone else feel like the snowbelts have shifted a bit? Growing up I always thought Mayville was the snowiest place in WNY...now its Perrysburg...the tug has always been the undisputed champ by LO but I feel like northern syracuse and oswego used to do much better than recent. Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I’ll believe it after the band has already dropped 6”+ on my house. But you’re right...something to keep an eye on for that period. It would also be cool if some snow was flying during the USA v Canada outdoor hockey game on Friday. 

52 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Does anyone else feel like the snowbelts have shifted a bit? Growing up I always thought Mayville was the snowiest place in WNY...now its Perrysburg...the tug has always been the undisputed champ by LO but I feel like northern syracuse and oswego used to do much better than recent. Thoughts?

I've been here 13 winters so not a long enough experience to tell if anything has shifted. To my eye...it hasn't.   I'd have to see long term data, which probably isn't that reliable further back than about 20 years when spotter networks grew.  It's variable year to year. I remember one winter where the Tug area did worse (or about same) than down this way (esp Fulton), but just once.

Archived