Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

36 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

For me I did not see much that impressed me... At least from the GFS itself.

It wasn't so much of what the GFS showed, more of the general idea that was on it, ice storm (then rain, but that's not important), round 1 of snow, then round 2. Yea, the amounts weren't impressive at all,  but would be a fun few days for sure.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

It wasn't so much of what the GFS showed, more of the general idea that was on it, ice storm (then rain, but that's not important), round 1 of snow, then round 2. Yea, the amounts weren't impressive at all,  but would be a fun few days for sure.

Yeah I agree. We have threats but I'm just watching the overall pattern take shape. We will see. Again we are in prime position for climo still. Heck I'm still excited about the snow 2 weeks ago. 

21 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I agree. We have threats but I'm just watching the overall pattern take shape. We will see. Again we are in prime position for climo still. Heck I'm still excited about the snow 2 weeks ago. 

In this neck of the woods I all want is at least one good snow per winter.  In my book 5" or more is a good snow; so two weeks ago made this meteorological winter a success in my book.  Pressure is off and will enjoy any additional snow gravy if it comes.  We went many years without a good snow around here.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

One thing I am liking is the Christmas eve and Christmas early morning hour snow shower activity. It is looking more and more impressive each run of the GFS lately. Something to look forward too. 

All I wanted was an inch this winter.  I have 16 so far. Snow on our first Christmas Eve/morning here would be the gravy on top.    

2 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

All I wanted was an inch this winter.  I have 16 so far. Snow on our first Christmas Eve/morning here would be the gravy on top.    

Yeah I agree! Just having snow in the air on Christmas is so rare anyway I would be tickled just too get some early snow showers. Its going to be cold for sure and a lot different than our past 3 Christmases so I'll take it. 

7 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

I'm surprised at the lack of talk here about next Fri-Sun. Definitely some potential for a decent storm. 12z Euro had 11" IMBY, and that's not the first run with a good storm. EPS seems to be in good agreement on a storm, just very spread out on timing. 

It's a week out and the models are jumping like crazy. It's too much fun watching the weenies in the main thread.  It is interesting but we need to get a lot closer before we go beast mode. A lot can go wrong from now to then.

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

It's a week out and the models are jumping like crazy. It's too much fun watching the weenies in the main thread.  It is interesting but we need to get a lot closer before we go beast mode. A lot can go wrong from now to then.

Ha, not being that much of a model watcher, I have learned to look for activity on the mountain thread to see if I should take a threat seriously then start looking at the models.  The main thread is for entertainment purposes.  Thanks guys for keeping it real here:clap:

47 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

Ha, not being that much of a model watcher, I have learned to look for activity on the mountain thread to see if I should take a threat seriously then start looking at the models.  The main thread is for entertainment purposes.  Thanks guys for keeping it real here:clap:

Lol yeah we are very even kill in this thread I like to think. Shoot if I lived outside the mountains I would be the same way they are looking for any opportunity to see some wintery weather. But we live in the mountains.  Several of us have already see a foot of snow already and for this time of the year that is a huge bonus. We watch, we wait, we see what happens before putting on our birthday suit!

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah it has been howling in Clyde also. I went into town and got blown all over the road. Pretty good wind. Warm as heck also. 

Yeah, I ready for this frontal system to come through in the next few hours and get temps back to half-way seasonal and then see what the next week or so has in store for us.

Got back from our trip last night and stepped off the plane and was surprised how warm it was. Wind is blowing here too but not bad. Just wish it was colder. Doesn't seem too much like Christmas right now.

Btw, New Zealand is spectacular in Dec. Mid 70's for highs, low 50's for lows. This was our third trip this time of year and again the weather was perfect. Highly recommend it if you have a desire to go. The flight and lag is a killer though.

1 hour ago, cold air aloft said:

Yeah, I ready for this frontal system to come through in the next few hours and get temps back to half-way seasonal and then see what the next week or so has in store for us.

Yeah tomorrow will be a huge transition for us. From 60 to 30 degrees in like 36 hours. I am excited about seeing some snow Christmas morning.

20 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Got back from our trip last night and stepped off the plane and was surprised how warm it was. Wind is blowing here too but not bad. Just wish it was colder. Doesn't seem too much like Christmas right now.

Btw, New Zealand is spectacular in Dec. Mid 70's for highs, low 50's for lows. This was our third trip this time of year and again the weather was perfect. Highly recommend it if you have a desire to go. The flight and lag is a killer though.

Nice Joe you traveling mofo! I have never been to New Zealand but my papaw has and he said he really enjoyed it. Don't worry Joe colder weather is right around the corner. You should see some snow Christmas morning. 

Archived