Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
April 9-10 Severe Potential

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, WxMatt21 said:

Not terribly impressed with the set up on Monday. Instability and moisture greatly lacking across the region, especially east of South Bend, and shear looks MAYBE good enough for a marginal threat at best. 

Next...

We've seen better threats so far this year for sure.  Surface low in a weakening state is not as good as the other way around and am a bit concerned about having enough convergence, but we'll see.

NAM forecast sounding near the intersection of I-57/I-80 in northeastern IL at 21z Mon

58e9bc6423a96_2017040900_NAM_045_41.59-87.72_severe_ml.thumb.png.14d683a0fa77b1582ee7b2e5a313fe56.png

Pretty much a unidirectional wind profile, but good speed shear.  NAM and GFS both have dewpoints AOA 60, with the NAM a bit more bullish on northward extent.  Given the recent rains and decent moisture return already progged for tomorrow, you wouldn't think it would be that difficult to realize 60 degree dews in Chicagoland on Monday but will have to watch the mixing.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

NAM forecast sounding near the intersection of I-57/I-80 in northeastern IL at 21z Mon

58e9bc6423a96_2017040900_NAM_045_41.59-87.72_severe_ml.thumb.png.14d683a0fa77b1582ee7b2e5a313fe56.png

Pretty much a unidirectional wind profile, but good speed shear.  NAM and GFS both have dewpoints AOA 60, with the NAM a bit more bullish on northward extent.  Given the recent rains and decent moisture return already progged for tomorrow, you wouldn't think it would be that difficult to realize 60 degree dews in Chicagoland on Monday but will have to watch the mixing.

Looks like a decent severe threat for your area and points east.  Models have been pretty consistent in developing a broken line of convection along the advancing CF later Monday.  The hodo above mentions a tornado hazard, but I think it's being a bit too generous in that regard.  Looks like primarily a wind threat.  An isolated tor report wouldn't shock me though given the degree of stretching above 1km, but it's a setup I would probably sit out from a chase stand point.

May head out to western/northwest Iowa later today.  It's just interesting enough to maybe gamble on.

Not going to chase today.

While there are some things to like about today's setup, there are more things not to like.

Looks like that nice EML will actually be too overpowering. CAM's have been gradually backing off warm sector initiation. Most guidance is now showing most activity being north of the warm front in MN/WI, and behind the DL in NE. Anytime guidance shows the only initiation being behind the DL usually is a precursor to a down day.

Oh, and the NAM has been terrible with forecasting this event. Showing temps much too low across the warm sector, holding low clouds in place.

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a decent severe threat for your area and points east.  Models have been pretty consistent in developing a broken line of convection along the advancing CF later Monday.  The hodo above mentions a tornado hazard, but I think it's being a bit too generous in that regard.  Looks like primarily a wind threat.  An isolated tor report wouldn't shock me though given the degree of stretching above 1km, but it's a setup I would probably sit out from a chase stand point.

May head out to western/northwest Iowa later today.  It's just interesting enough to maybe gamble on.

Yeah, the tornado threat should be fairly low.  If I had to bet I'd say they will go 2%.  I may be hallucinating but the 12z runs seem a hair less veered at the surface.  Not enough change in the grand scheme of things.

On 4/7/2017 at 4:41 PM, Stebo said:

Going out to the plains this weekend, probably western IA/MO. Worth a try since I am on vacation all week next week and have the time.

Welp ended up in Kansas, at least it was a nice drive and a part of the country I have never been to. Other than that... lol 

Chase is looking more and more likely for Monday.

Guidance has slowed the front the past day or so, enough so that it makes for a more interesting threat in IL/S. WI.

Ample CAPE and moisture on guidance, with the high lapse rates still in place. Initiation looks likely west of I-39, with 0z CAM's in good agreement. Tor threat is not the greatest, but that N. IL/S. WI area is favored should a few occur.

My only concern is if morning convection lingers a bit too long, or associated cloud debris lingers.

Last night things looked somewhat interesting for northern Iowa.  As the HRRR came into range of the event it became clear that initiation was looking less likely along and south of the warm front.  There was one run that showed it though.  Probably wasn't too far away from getting it done, but alas it didn't.  At least before sunset.  Glad I chose not to chase after all.  I definitely respect all the chasers who chose to head out and give it a shot today.  I almost felt dirty for not going out and giving it a shot myself.  In the "old" days I definitely would have.  

Still not excited about tomorrow's setup, but since it's become closer to home I may meander out.  

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The new outlook is out, with a 5% tornado area all around southern Lake Michigan, which doesn't seem unreasonable as that aspect is looking slightly better than earlier runs.

If some of the higher res models are correct the western edge of those probs may need to be adjusted west.

Woke up around 2 this morning to constant lightening to the sw. Checked radar and knew right away it was going to get nasty.  95% of the storm was all hail ( not rain until near the end) and ended up with 4-5" on the ground when it was over.  MQT had a wind gust to 71 mph, certainly above 60 mph here.  The worst storm I have seen in 6 years!  Trees down, power is out and I have no idea when the road to 510 will be passable.  Yesterday it was almost 70, and currently it's 30.  The forecast for here only called for "showers".... lol  The roar of the wind and marble sized hail coming over the ridge and hitting the house was nuts, and from a weather lovers perspective, I hope to never see it again IMBY!

And the potential for very heavy wet snow tonight! wtf

Wow, weatherbo, that's pretty intense.  I've never seen hail cover the ground before.  My hail storms have always been light and/or brief.  On a local chat I talked to a guy who lives in the boonies southwest of Iowa City.  Last night wind-blown large hail damaged his siding and broke several windows.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Wow, weatherbo, that's pretty intense.  I've never seen hail cover the ground before.  My hail storms have always been light and/or brief.  On a local chat I talked to a guy who lives in the boonies southwest of Iowa City.  Last night wind-blown large hail damaged his siding and broke several windows.

Yes, and very unexpected! Here's a poor quality pic I snapped a few minutes after the hail started (no snow on the ground all hail) .  It lasted 10 min I'm guessing.

IMG_1714.thumb.JPG.b2ba5dab2432c8dda925c9f3094db779.JPG

Archived