Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible ligh snow event 3/18-3/19 & Obs

Zelocita Weather

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

Unlike a normal IVT scenario where it is all or nothing. this seems to actually have a pretty wide area that gets at least .35-.5 QPF.

I believe a lot of that falls Friday night and Saturday as rain or non accumulating snow. If we're going to get a few inches it will be from whatever comes Saturday night

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

I believe a lot of that falls Friday night and Saturday as rain or non accumulating snow. If we're going to get a few inches it will be from whatever comes Saturday night

Agreed, the precip that can translate into accum snow would be Saturday afternoon and night...

I'm taking the train from DC up to NYC tomorrow for the weekend, so I'm paying closer attention to your area than my area at the moment.  Interesting to see how this plays out/whether the track & development allows a narrow band of focused precip to track over any part of the city.  Just looking at the latest, through 12z Sunday morning, both the 12z RGEM (as shown in the Meteogram that stretches out 84 hours unlike the maps that only extend 48 hours) and 12z GFS have about 0.75" qpf at Central Park, while the 12z NAM was a little more in line with the 00z Euro at about 0.45" qpf.  FWIW, the 00z Ukie also had about 0.4" qpf, though that's only up to 00z Sunday (8 pm Saturday).  Whatever falls looks to be a rain/snow/mix situation during daylight hours on Saturday as opposed to any sleet/freezing rain given the column is projected to be below freezing until perhaps just the lowest approximately 2k feet, though eventually the surface does cool back to near or below freezing after sunset as the surface flow takes on a slightly more northerly component and hence there is perhaps less oceanic influence.  Not particularly familiar with the city's history of snow "success" with these types of patterns/weather systems, but it's nice to have a little something to track given our meager winter snow situation in DC. 

6 minutes ago, ohwxguy said:

Here are the RGEM meteograms, the first shows the surface temp & 850 temps (850 looks fine and surface trends down to freezing by around 00z)

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/meteogram.php?stn=NewYork&mod=gemreg&run=12&var=std&lang=en&map=us

RGEM NYC standard.jpg

RGEM NYC Precip.jpg

These are great. Shows how this starts as some rain in the afternoon and transitions to Snow in the evening/night

Starting to look more like a legitimate coastal transfer instead of a Norlun, which would be better for temps as winds lock in northerly. The H5 vort is digging deeper, allowing the system to develop further south.

I like the North Shore of LI and SW CT/eastern Westchester for this one. Could see 3-6" there easily.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

It was a weenie run for sure. If you look at the snowfall map it has most of the heavier accumulations confined to the hillier NW areas.

Regardless of if the placement is right or wrong, when you start to see things like that popping up on the snowfall maps (as much I as I dislike them) it is a tell that this will be elevation and latitude driven.

7 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the para Nam actually the new operational Nam now?

Good question... I know a lot of people confuse the nam parallel with the 3k Nam...the 3k I believe is a WRF model, the para is still 12k and NCEP like the op

if I'm wrong on this let me know

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Good question... I know a lot of people confuse the nam parallel with the 3k Nam...the 3k I believe is a WRF model, the para is still 12k and NCEP like the op

if I'm wrong on this let me know

The para becomes the operational on 3/21/17

Archived