Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Me too, but I already spend enough time on this. I would hate to see what would happen with all the maps on WxBell available to me lol.

Seriously.. We can leave it up to Ryd to keep us updated....  I have more than enough other sites to suck up my time with...:)

44 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

I don't know what to make of the 12z Euro, it has a couple secondary lows to the south in addition to one to the north like the GFS. I'm not sure if its confused or on to something, but that would bode well for us.

New Euro is a weaker system and colder...more snow and ice even to the coast Sun-Mon...

3 hours ago, TeaysValleyWV said:

After Monday it looks like it stays dry until next weekend, then that system rides up to our west keeping us in the warm sector.

Yeah, at least on the GFS Sunday we get some light snow north of i-70, but there is going to be a strong punch of WAA as the low deepens and there is return SW flow from the high sliding off the coast. Whatever does fall will be melted \ rained away by Monday afternoon so enjoy it while you can. For now it seems like GFS has lost the mid week storm by tracking it much further South. Next weekend will probably be another quick hit of some light snow that quickly goes over to sleet and rain, so another net loss in terms of snow on the ground. Luckily its 7 days out so still some room for change for the better, or worse. Its not totally a cold and dry / warm wet situation but its certainly leaning that way. With the models having a hard time pinning things down even in the short range, by Tuesday this will likely have all changed anyways. :)

16 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

If only there were a touch more blocking, this would be a good look: (but when in doubt, the pattern doesn't change) gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_24.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_26.png

Para at least has a better look than the GFS. Curious to see the 0z runs and kind of pissed I paid for a model subscription already 

Hoping the pattern will change eventually.  The warm/wet and cold/dry winters just aren't any fun.  Though if the winter does favor climate as some early predictions maintained, well those of us in the southern zones especially will be looking at a lot of rain-snow "battles" with the warm tongue.  Personally I'm not a fan of getting tongued in such a manner.

1" of snow this morning.   We drove back from Morgantown this afternoon.  Temp difference of 38 when we left to 28 at home.

Just started getting a mixture of ice pellets and freezing rain after a quick hit of snow.  Getting some cooling effect from the precip too, dropped back to 30F after gradually rising to 32.

Archived