Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

1 hour ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Just reading around various threads \ twitter everyone is really down on the incoming pattern next week. It does look lousy, pretty much every thing is wrong. Definitely better the further NW you are in the country that is for sure, but as of right now it doesn't look like an all out shutout for snow. If we do end up wasting the next 3-4 weeks that will be a shame. Just once I'd like to get a solid pattern to establish itself through December 15-Jan-15th.

Yea, looking at ensembles and other long term guidance, not looking good thru end of month.  Longer term, Jan looking above avg temps and ave precip. The rest of winter avg precip and above avg temps.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Yea, looking at ensembles and other long term guidance, not looking good thru end of month.  Longer term, Jan looking above avg temps and ave precip. The rest of winter avg precip and above avg temps.

End of the month looks shot.  Looking ahead at the longer term, I like what I am seeing from ENSO. Being ENSO neutral, we should be expecting below average temps for the remainder of the winter.  Climate prediction center saying that there is a 50% chance for us to move into a La Nina by fall. If we move into a weak La Nina quicker than expected, we still should be expecting average temps.  I'm hoping we stay pretty neutral and can keep the temps around average or below. 

6 hours ago, colonel717 said:

6 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

End of the month looks shot.  Looking ahead at the longer term, I like what I am seeing from ENSO. Being ENSO neutral, we should be expecting below average temps for the remainder of the winter.  Climate prediction center saying that there is a 50% chance for us to move into a La Nina by fall. If we move into a weak La Nina quicker than expected, we still should be expecting average temps.  I'm hoping we stay pretty neutral and can keep the temps around average or below. 

I don't think its a close the blinds til January type setup for us though. Looks like we will probably average close to normal, maybe a few days above and a few below, not an all out torch like last year. GFS shows some snow chances throughout the run, and we can always get lucky and time something right. Certainly not anything that screams sustained winter weather though. Hopefully we start to see some improvements showing up in the 11-15 day means and they start moving forward in time.

4 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

All the iterations of the NAM agree on about .6" of ice for the middle of the county. About half of that falls with a temp below 30, on the 3km.

Amazing that the 18z GFS has nothing. Even if it is 1/3 of the ice event the NAMs are calling for, that is still significant. Should be an interesting next 12 hours to see how this plays out.

Quite the dry layer to overcome on the evening sounding, so I don't think there will be much or any snow before the main event, which all the models have as a fast changeover. I figure saturation may keep temps from rising a ton until the heavier stuff arrives, but that's where my knowledge ends and speculation begins.

PIT.gif

Didn't stay up for any initial "thump" of snow. Was hoping to see something late last evening, but nothing materialized. 

However  the ice is as advertised, with sleet embedded in said ice. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for any untreated pavement to melt this morning. 

Lol, not much more to say. Would be nice to get a faster changeover with the anafront moisture, but I'm not gonna put to much stock in that.

Freezing rain picked up again, still 32F.  About a .25" coating of ice on everything that was clear of previous snow.  When I got up at 5AM it was 27 degrees and raining. There was no sign that we got any snow last night.  

Driveway is a sheet of ice.  I took the wife to work this morning, 79 was wet with a few slushy spots, side roads all slush.  I'm surprised I didn't see any tree damage or power lines down with the amount of ice covering everything.  

I hope the snow cover stays after today.

6 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Didn't stay up for any initial "thump" of snow. Was hoping to see something late last evening, but nothing materialized. 

However  the ice is as advertised, with sleet embedded in said ice. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for any untreated pavement to melt this morning. 

Lol, not much more to say. Would be nice to get a faster changeover with the anafront moisture, but I'm not gonna put to much stock in that.

Me either, I just went to bed around 11:30, didn't see any snow. Woke up around 4am and could hear the pings. I would say the ice did verify here too. Everything ice coated, starting to melt off the car now. Anafront stuff looks like maybe a half inch I'd say.

Not a terrible look by day 10 on 12z GFS, looks like deep trough off of Alaska is getting replaced by higher heights again. This would probably similar to the pattern we just had, just in the heart of winter climo, so even if we get some western tracks probably more front loaded \ ice stuff. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would think as the rolls forward you will start to see cold dumps into the center of the country pushing east again. Plus all that aside I don't think we will be 100 percent void of things to watch until then.

gfs_z500a_nhem_41.png

Archived