Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Mountains & Foothills Fall & Winter Thread

nchighcountrywx

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Getting excited about the prospects tomorrow night/Friday.

I'm down in G'burg with the GF who's up from 'Bama. Hoping she can see some flurries up on Newfound before she starts back south tomorrow. Looking like a fun after-dark drive home for me. :D

Better hope shes staying past 8pm. Otherwise she'll be too early. And 8pm would be the earliest I think flurries will start falling.

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

It's not snow but an impressive cluster of storms and rainfall tracking over TN towards us. Should get some good soaking rains tonight. 

Yea, I'm assuming the drought is still in effect somewhat? That's the only reason I want to see rain, other than that, keep the ground dry for the snow.

Just now, Met1985 said:

I have actually seen a wet ground start accumulating snow faster than a dry ground.

The thing that worries me is that when the rain is falling it will be a warmer rain with the highest temperatures tomorrow morning. I don't actually know if the temperature of the rain or the ground temps while it is raining really effect it, just a feeling it might???

8 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

The thing that worries me is that when the rain is falling it will be a warmer rain with the highest temperatures tomorrow morning. I don't actually know if the temperature of the rain or the ground temps while it is raining really effect it, just a feeling it might???

Lol it will be ok. We had a freeze this morning and tonight is actually pretty chilly here.

49 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

37 here, but expected to rise 10 degrees by 6 am. I don't even really care about accumulations, I just want good ski weather tomorrow night.

Ash, if you like cold with a stiff wind you'll be fine. :-) And it being Christmas week they're going to blow as soon as temps allow. EVERY gun will be cranking. To Sugar's credit, they can white that mountain out if they want to. Just tough to ski in sometimes. Dress for it.

The way it looks, temps will crash hard by sunset. Rarely ever see flow snow not stick.

8 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Ash, if you like cold with a stiff wind you'll be fine. :-) And it being Christmas week they're going to blow as soon as temps allow. EVERY gun will be cranking. To Sugar's credit, they can white that mountain out if they want to. Just tough to ski in sometimes. Dress for it.

The way it looks, temps will crash hard by sunset. Rarely ever see flow snow not stick.

Yea, that is my heaven right there, for more than one reason. 1.) the snow and wind will soften the snowpack which makes easier skiing. 2.) tourists and most normal people don't like it so the people that like the extremes like me are the only ones on the slopes. 3.) No kids.

2 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Yea, that is my heaven right there, for more than one reason. 1.) the snow and wind will soften the snowpack which makes easier skiing. 2.) No tourists and most normal people don't like it so the people that like the extremes like me are the only ones on the slopes. 3.) No kids.

You have a good point. Nothing against the tourist and their kids though. We welcome you guys. Stop by the ATM and head on up!:D

16 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Geez. The 6z today compared the 0z from yesterday is considerably drier. The trend hadn't been nice for tonights little party.

I noticed that. Looks now like a snow shower or two and flurries. Who knows. Temps rose and peaked about 4am and now dropping slowly. Wind has picked up considerably though. Just had a gust to 23. 

Archived