Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Saw Sugarbush was up to a 6" total from this little system...3" yesterday and 3" last night (pictured).

IMG_3814.JPG

I would love to see one of those winters where there seems to be a parade of small systems that keep flakes in the air almost every day, punctuated by the occasional larger system. Ahhh...... a weenie can dream. 

10 hours ago, tamarack said:

Unfortunately, all the deer movement around here happened during the snow, probably near midnight.  However, the 1.4" made for quiet, though it loaded the trees and cut visibility by about 2/3.  I'll be back out later; we'll see about tomorrow - if it's steady RA I may chicken out, as I've had no success, or even near success, during that type of wx over my 60 years of chasing the critters.

Same here

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Did they really report 3" because of this ruler picture?  Clearly looks about an 1" to me. Actually looking at the rabbit footprint indentures its only perhaps 1/2" if that. Only a 200-300% inflation of snowfall.  Truth of anything seems to be getting rarer these days.

That is a good example why I opted for the round snow stake, I had a flat one and found that the snow banks up the stake instead of going around it

11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Did they really report 3" because of this ruler picture?  Clearly looks about an 1" to me. Actually looking at the rabbit footprint indentures its only perhaps 1/2" if that. Only a 200-300% inflation of snowfall.  Truth of anything seems to be getting rarer these days.

I'm just bustin' balls, they have the best snow cam east of the Rockies and its a solid 1-2".  Not everyone is as in-tune with weather procedures or as obsessive as some of us and its never an exact science in high elevations.  Its the nearest inch game. 

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm just bustin' balls, they have the best snow cam east of the Rockies and its a solid 1-2".  Not everyone is as in-tune with weather procedures or as obsessive as some of us and its never an exact science in high elevations.  Its the nearest inch game. 

I think like most EC snow reports you have to extrapolate what the number on the SB board means for snow on the hill. Like for Stowe's readings, you have to know how 3" with a north wind falls v. how 4" with a west wind falls. The SB cam is similar. It's at 4000ft and quite sheltered. That said, good for something, just not a per se ruler for snow on the hill. 

That said, not gonna matter this week! Hopefully we can preserve some natural snow base through this week. That's my only wish. 

3 minutes ago, alex said:

Thanks! :)

of course 10 minutes later I went to take a shot of a gorgeous buck in front of my house... and didn't realize the SD card was in my laptop. Rookie!

lol, I'm sure that won't be the last time to you get to see him, Looks like a great area for deer, I actually could have used a drone to locate the deer for hunting season here, Did not see a one but almost ran two over with the truck coming back from hunting on friday.

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

lol, I'm sure that won't be the last time to you get to see him, Looks like a great area for deer, I actually could have used a drone to locate the deer for hunting season here, Did not see a one but almost ran two over with the truck coming back from hunting on friday.

Hey Jeff you'd probably know this... we didn't really see many deer in the summer, but have seen them several times a week over the past few weeks. Is there any seasonality to their habitat in these areas???

11 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

The sky has been threatening today and we’ve had a few rogue flurries, but there hasn’t really been anything with regard to flakes until now – there’s light snow out there, which looks like it’s coming from a bit of northwest flow.

Snowing nicely in the village up this way.  Under 2 mile visibility.  Wasn't expecting it and don't see anything on radar.  Very small flakes so probably won't amount to anything but good to see haha.  Still early enough where a good burst of light snow puts a smile on your face.

2 hours ago, alex said:

Hey Jeff you'd probably know this... we didn't really see many deer in the summer, but have seen them several times a week over the past few weeks. Is there any seasonality to their habitat in these areas???

Alex, Yes, They travel over several miles and will summer and winter in different areas, It depends on food available for them as well, I know when we look to hunt specific areas, We have set up game cams and have found that we find them in one area during the summer, And then come hunting season they are no longer there and we have to locate them again as they will move to lowland areas that have a lot of fur trees to yard up to protect themselves from predators, I usually see many in the winter months when we snowmobile near there yards

Archived