Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I thought for sure you would have done better after such a strong start.

Yeah we flipped to snow right away but the intensity never really got heavy. Moderate for a couple hours. That back edge came in alot faster than we expected. 

Was just up on Greenville Mtn about 1300' or so. General 3-4" up there.

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I thought for sure you would have done better after such a strong start.

I thought the same thing for my area, we changed over to sleet at a decent time.  When the snow came though it just wasn't heavy enough to stick a whole lot.  Precip types changed back and forth every few minutes also, which didn't help much.  .25" in the books though.

Chilly morning.  It was drizzling earlier, but stopped now.

When it was coming down heavier we were all snow and it accumulated nicely but every time it got lighter it went over to sleet.  As the back edge came through it didn't actually stop for a few hours but wasn't coming down hard enough to drag the cold air down with it so it changed to a light mist.  I guess there was enough sleet mixed in before the change to wet to make what accumulated more durable so it's still on the ground this morning.  Officially I guess I could call it 1/2".  

19 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

When it was coming down heavier we were all snow and it accumulated nicely but every time it got lighter it went over to sleet.  As the back edge came through it didn't actually stop for a few hours but wasn't coming down hard enough to drag the cold air down with it so it changed to a light mist.  I guess there was enough sleet mixed in before the change to wet to make what accumulated more durable so it's still on the ground this morning.  Officially I guess I could call it 1/2".  

I noticed a few of you guys were reporting a flip to sleet last night. Never flipped to sleet here. Just moderate snow to flurries and it shut off. This morning we did have little freezing drizzle though

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

Looks like the GFS gives us 2-4" from the initial WAA. Coastal gets going a little too far offshore. Progressive flow. 

Yeah, this is the key... there's very little room for the system to amplify before it gets ejected offshore. We'll need to capitalize on overrunning snows before the baroclinic zone sets up offshore and starts stealing moisture from the primary low.

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, this is the key... there's very little room for the system to amplify before it gets ejected offshore. We'll need to capitalize on overrunning snows before the baroclinic zone sets up offshore and starts stealing moisture from the primary low.

Exactly my thinking. Our focus here in the interior should be on the overrunning potential. The way things are looking right now we will see very little if any precip from the coastal itself. 

Archived