Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential - Part 2

forkyfork

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you concerned as well? Over the past day or so we have seen some very significant changes specifically with the northern stream. The lower heights and shortwave over the Northern Plains that are coming into the trough are taking much longer to do so on every run the past day or so. Take the GFS for example. Last nights 00z run had the low heights already into the northern plains with the shortwave well west of the MS. The Euro pulls it off..but it's upper air pattern is close to letting the storm escape if the northern stream doesn't fly south into the trough. The slower northern stream is causing the slower amplification of the trough and capture of the surface low..and that has me concerned because it significantly narrows the window of opportunity for a major coastal storm.

John, good points and I'm also concerned about the nern stream as well. Problem is the northern short wave will be in a data-sparse region longer than the sern short wave. In fact the northern s/w won't be entering the US for another 24+ hours.

As of 90hrs on the GFS, the southern stream s/w is shoved very far SE, and with the H5 map depicted, we've really got to hurry up with the phasing and tilt the trough negative. 00z GFS probably isn't going to look that great.

hr 117 sub 1000 low heading ots...outer banks getting some snow

Before anyone starts to flip out...this run made significant improvments towards a euro solution....and is real close to crushing all of us...the northern stream is just a tad to late....plus this is slower similiar towards the euro

What do you guys think?

There is a small but distinct chance this PV has weakened so much it won't really play any part and won't be strong enough as a leading wave to develop a good coastal. Although other factors are at play here, this is just one of many things to consider that hasn't been thrown out in much discussion from what I have seen.

Before anyone starts to flip out...this run made significant improvments towards a euro solution....and is real close to crushing all of us...the northern stream is just a tad to late....plus this is slower similiar towards the euro

It did make good trends, not sure if I'd say it's real close to being a a good hit though. Phasing of the branches doesn't occur until 12Z SUN when the sfc reflection suggests the low is already on the SC coast.Thus the capturing won't happen until well out to sea. Although the southern stream did slow down significantly on the 00z run, we've got to hope the northern stream energy dives down the base of the trough a bit quicker or we're pretty much doomed.

here is the 0z ukie

These 500mb charts are not inspiring confidence. Sure, the amplitude of the jet out west is beautiful, but the Atlantic looks like suppression City! If the Euro hadn't pulled off the impossible and shown what was possible (which could be a 10:1 against scenario for all we know), we might assume we were out of the game.

What do you guys think?

There is a small but distinct chance this PV has weakened so much it won't really play any part and won't be strong enough as a leading wave to develop a good coastal. Although other factors are at play here, this is just one of many things to consider that hasn't been thrown out in much discussion from what I have seen.

are you saying the pv from hudson bay area region?

It did make good trends, not sure if I'd say it's real close to being a a good hit though. Phasing of the branches doesn't occur until 12Z SUN when the sfc reflection suggests the low is already on the SC coast.Thus the capturing won't happen until well out to sea. Although the southern stream did slow down significantly on the 00z run, we've got to hope the northern stream energy dives down the base of the trough a bit quicker or we're pretty much doomed.

Until other then the gfs depicts somthing like this i will get concerned..........

These 500mb charts are not inspiring confidence. Sure, the amplitude of the jet out west is beautiful, but the Atlantic looks like suppression City! If the Euro hadn't pulled off the impossible and shown what was possible (which could be a 10:1 against scenario for all we know), we might assume we were out of the game.

they said on the radio show the ukmet looks really close to euro

Archived