gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential - Part 2

forkyfork

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the difference between the runs has to do with the 50-50 as much. The 50-50 isn't really that dramatically different between both runs. The differences stem from the dampening out of the southern stream energy (which might be the GFS bias at work at it tends to underemphasize southern stream influence, I mean that wave just DISAPPEARS in 6 hours on the 0z run), the speed of that wave, and the strength of the polar vortex in Canada. The ridge is also slightly stronger still on the Euro. I think that if the southern wave stays intact enough and interacts with enough of the northern stream, it'll develop plenty enough of a storm in time to slam us.

You definitely make a good point wrt the GFS bias of weakening the southern stream energy. I think the delayed arrival of the nern stream energy is another problem w/ the 00z GFS run, but just throwing out speculation at this point.

oy. what a disaster so far. it's a real shame that this went from 'accumulating snow no matter what' to an all or nothing scenario...and once again it's going strongly towards the nothing. i've said it before...if phasing is needed for a storm, it is not going to happen most of the time in a la nina and expectations should be set accordingly. all is not lost...it's christmas time!

So we have so far GFS/UKMET/GGEM all miss to the east, world against the Euro? I think we all know how that will play out.

well to be fair the GGEM is east by about 75-100 miles or so...not really that big a deal....its nothing like the GFS and UK

Like I said, this is probably the time to start expecting model swings one way and the other, probably for at least a day as they try to resolve all these different features. The one reason I support this threat at all is the overall pattern supporting it and the amplified ridge/trough pattern w/ associated southern stream energy, so the pieces definitely can come together. It's all about specific timing, and 12 hours one way or the other can make or break this event for millions of people.

oy. what a disaster so far. it's a real shame that this went from 'accumulating snow no matter what' to an all or nothing scenario...and once again it's going strongly towards the nothing. i've said it before...if phasing is needed for a storm, it is not going to happen most of the time in a la nina and expectations should be set accordingly. all is not lost...it's christmas time!

:axe:

C'mon man, seriously?

0 for 3 tonight... Amazing frm where we were

Hmm, where has this happened before. All the models ditch and then we wait for the Euro to seal the deal. Seems like Bill Murray's gorundhog day.

But seriously if the Euro ends up east tonight I wouldn't be too concerned as we're still 4-5+ days out with this potential event. The timing of the nern and sern stream phasing is going to be key here. We've got to get a slow, strong southern wave but also the northern energy needs to dive into the trough quick enough to capture the low before it heads NE off the NC coast.

The GGEM largely misses everyone except NE. But it's still pretty threatening at h5. It's a legitimate near-miss.

I said earlier I expect a final track between the 12z GGEM and 12z UK, and I still believe that. This 0z GGEM run I think is slightly west of the final outcome and close to or a hair stronger.

You used up two posts rather early!

and i'm using my last one now. being post limited really doesn't bother me...i mean i've been right the last 2 storms. it's pointless to get excited about a storm that clearly involves phasing in a la nina...most of the time, it's not going to happen. i'm not disappointed at all as i've expected this, but i wish some others would recognize this and not wishcast.

Hmm, where has this happened before. All the models ditch and then we wait for the Euro to seal the deal. Seems like Bill Murray's gorundhog day.

But seriously if the Euro ends up east tonight I wouldn't be too concerned as we're still 4-5+ days out with this potential event. The timing of the nern and sern stream phasing is going to be key here. We've got to get a slow, strong southern wave but also the northern energy needs to dive into the trough quick enough to capture the low before it heads NE off the NC coast.

I know this has been one heck of a couple of weeks. I'd wait till thu night before losing hope, although the current trends are disappointing. I suspect seasonal trends/tendencies may argue for a further east track

:unsure: am i wrong? gfs/ggem/ukmet all misses....0/3 so far tonight. i don't think there's any argument.

You have to look at the upper air charts and their trend before you look at the sfc. The GFS definitely trended in the Euro's direction tonight and so did the Nam. And the UKMET always has a few weird runs thrown into any threat for good measure. It's still way too early to make any definitive conclusion one way or the other.

Archived