joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE fall general OBS and Discussion thread

The Iceman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mainly cloudy day here in East Nantmeal in NW Chesco but mostly sunny in Sea Isle City NJ

East Nantmeal

Hi - 58.6 Lo 39.8

SIC

Hi 61.8 Lo 42.8

Through today here in East Nantmeal we are running +3.2 degrees above normal....but through the same date last year November was already +5.2 above normal. Heading for incredibly warm Nov/December combo - looking mighty unlikely we will have a repeat this year.

On 11/17/2016 at 7:23 AM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Just posting this for fun since it is the first time this season I recall seeing a Noreaster/Winter Storm being modeled. We know things dont pan out at this range so again, I am just posting as an "it's about that time" sorta thing.

a8693509d67b845ea14b61a9cfe23064.jpg

Even the broken clock GFS is right twice a day... ;)

On 11/16/2016 at 10:26 PM, wederwarrior said:

This can't be good

image.jpg

One has to remember that ice area is not the same as ice mass. 2/3 or more of the ice berg can be below the water line. In fact, deeper floating ice mass can mean better climate stability because the surface exposed to sunlight is smaller hence slowing rapid melt and protecting the "geologic structure" of certain ice shelves and glaciers. 

37 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

The wind advisory is the most exciting thing to happen around here since the blizzard. Hopefully this will be the last of the leafs!

I have been shocked that around the city, close to half the trees still have leaves, with an overall look of "just past peak" for foliage coloration.  A lot of ginkgos finally turned yellow and many younger Norway maples finally colored up from green to yellow.  About half of the sycamores and oaks still have leaves.  You can clearly see which trees were more stressed along a row, with some completely leafless and others still full canopy.

51 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I have been shocked that around the city, close to half the trees still have leaves, with an overall look of "just past peak" for foliage coloration.  A lot of ginkgos finally turned yellow and many younger Norway maples finally colored up from green to yellow.  About half of the sycamores and oaks still have leaves.  You can clearly see which trees were more stressed along a row, with some completely leafless and others still full canopy.

Same here in the burbs. I have a oak and maple which still have 40% of their leaves on them. Sun and Mon will be windy. Hopefully this will shake many remaining leaves off. I planned on my final lawn cutting/leaf cleanup to be Thanksgiving eve (this Wed) but who knows?

Off topic.You and I say "leaves" where above JTA66 say "leafs". I think both may be correct? But too busy to look it up right now. The only time I say "leafs" is Toronto Maple "Leafs" in hockey...

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Off topic.You and I say "leaves" where above JTA66 say "leafs". I think both may be correct? But too busy to look it up right now. The only time I say "leafs" is Toronto Maple "Leafs" in hockey...

I was always taught that the plural to "leaf" was "leaves", although apparently adding the "s" on the end of "leaf" is also accepted. To me, since the team's logo image is of a single maple leaf (vs a pile of them), I could see using "Leafs" to preserve the symbolic single leaf, but make it plural as a pseudo-collective noun. :D

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I was always taught that the plural to "leaf" was "leaves", although apparently adding the "s" on the end of "leaf" is also accepted. To me, since the team's logo image is of a single maple leaf (vs a pile of them), I could see using "Leafs" to preserve the symbolic single leaf, but make it plural as a pseudo-collective noun. :D

Had a chance to look it up and this appears correct. It seems if you're talking about a particular leaf it's "leafs"....a bunch of them it's "leaves". Overall I don't think it friggin matters....however you're use to saying it is a go. 

8 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I think Agnes is correct with "leaves" but it never looked right to me, so I always went with "leafs" ... and yeah, it's probably from watching too much hockey. Anyway, back to our cold front ...

Damn thing is slowly approaching with some snow. State college is next. Thinking 7-8pm  around our area. Looking forward to colder temps and WIND.... 

cf.jpg

Archived