joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 15/16 Severe Wx

kystormspotter

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone familiar with the SARS analog system on the SHARPy soundings, particularly the hail part, and if it's a good indicator? 

I don't know too much about it, but I've questioned the relevance of some of the analogs. Can an analog from Dodge City in May be a good analog for Illinois in March? I know for the February event in the Carolinas a few weeks back it was showing an analog from Oshkosh, WI for a June event. 

Now, I don't know what goes into the analog set, but I question the cold season to warm season and different regions being used and how much you can take from that. 

I don't know too much about it, but I've questioned the relevance of some of the analogs. Can an analog from Dodge City in May be a good analog for Illinois in March? I know for the February event in the Carolinas a few weeks back it was showing an analog from Oshkosh, WI for a June event. 

Now, I don't know what goes into the analog set, but I question the cold season to warm season and different regions being used and how much you can take from that. 

Thanks...was just wondering because I was looking at the NAM for this area tomorrow evening and a couple of the analogs (one from Jan and another from Apr) were showing huge hail.  I guess I can understand why it was bullish given MUCAPE 2500+ and strong shear. 

Guess we shouldn't be too surprised to see this slow down even further.  Have definitely seen that many times before.  Love the fact that the surface low will be quickly intensifying later tomorrow afternoon through the evening.  Moisture will hopefully be just enough to allow for a small area of legit tor potential.  With sort of a convergent triangle of surface flow just southeast of the surface low hopefully that will help to pool the moisture southeast of the deepening low.  

HRRRX shows a real nice arc of supercells over west-central IL 00-01z tomorrow.  At this point after I get off work tomorrow I plan on heading south towards Galesburg, or Monmouth.  

Take a look at how long it keeps a helicity track going. 

If this setup had higher BL moisture content, I think we'd easily be looking at a mod+ risk tomorrow. Might give the best chances for something significant to be near the triple point (wherever that decides to set up shop) where low level shear will be stronger earlier and there may be some pooling of higher dewpoints.

Wonder if they will upgrade to ENH on the 6z outlook.  You need 10% tornado or 30% wind or 30% hail.  I still have some doubts about convective coverage though the setup with the rapidly deepening sfc/upper air system would make you think that coverage would be decent. 

Wonder if they will upgrade to ENH on the 6z outlook. You need 10% tornado or 30% wind or 30% hail. I still have some doubts about convective coverage though the setup with the rapidly deepening sfc/upper air system would make you think that coverage would be decent.

I could see them going with an ENH for hail on the 06z outlook, not expecting a 10% tor yet given the questions on moisture quality/depth. My guess is a 5% tor in west central IL.

I could see them going with an ENH for hail on the 06z outlook, not expecting a 10% tor yet given the questions on moisture quality/depth. My guess is a 5% tor in west central IL.

Agreed, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a 30/hatched for hail as well.

New NSSL WRF brings 60-62 dews up into west central IL at 00z.  Nice convergence of moisture there.

If fires a huge cell in E MO and moves it into central IL, somewhat similar to the EMC/SPC WRF. The deep moisture here (to 850 mb) will be far more important (as it usually is) than the actual dewpoint near the surface as long as there isn't a huge T/Td spread. If we can get some areas >10˚C at H85, would think that would open the door to something strong and isolated given the amount of low level backing present near the warm front by 00z.

The amount of cold air aloft will ensure there will be ample CAPE if this does come to pass.

Agreed, I wouldn't be shocked if it was a 30/hatched for hail as well.

Stuck with a slight for now. Somewhat surprised in no hatched hail mention colocated with the 5% tor probs over northeast MO/southeast IA/west central IL. Based on latest trends, the placement of tornado probs is very reasonable I think.

Stuck with a slight for now. Somewhat surprised in no hatched hail mention colocated with the 5% tor probs over northeast MO/southeast IA/west central IL. Based on latest trends, the placement of tornado probs is very reasonable I think.

I would have gone with hatched with the hail, the lapse rates are very impressive and there is enough MLCAPE/shear for great vertical motion and updraft strength.

Archived