• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 15/16 Severe Wx

kystormspotter

Time lapse of the Good Hope IL tor.  Watch it on full screen for the best footage.  

Around the 27 second mark watch right straight ahead.  Right there is where the wall cloud starts dipping out of the elongated rain-free base, and then goes from there...

Nice video, I definitely like the development of the wall cloud that then becomes very picturesque.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun local chase today.  Had to work till 4, and then headed south towards Galesburg, and then Macomb.  Thought I might be a little late to the party, but it didn't tor until shortly after I got to it.  Caught the whole evolution from a laminar looking rain free base into a wall cloud, and then tornado on time lapse.  Hopefully looks pretty cool when I get it put together.

Here's a few shots.  

First shot is a little earlier on, about 45 mins before the tornado.  This was when I was a little north of Macomb looking southwest.

This is later on west of Bushnell IL as the above storm finally got it done. 
30sulax.jpg

etzmtf.jpg

Heard there were a few tornadoes in and near the QC on the way back.  Luckily it doesn't look like it was anything too severe.

Some great shots there, that was such a classic supercell structured storm by MQB.

I'm trying to think if this was the biggest tornado day for DVN since 2006. They've had bigger tornadoes since, but more isolated.

Some great shots there, that was such a classic supercell structured storm by MQB.

I'm trying to think if this was the biggest tornado day for DVN since 2006. They've had bigger tornadoes since, but more isolated.

Did some checking and it looks like 4/10/2008 had 7 tornadoes.  DVN has added a 6th tornado from Tuesday so we'll see if they can catch that number.

They had a decent day last year 4/9/15. There were at least 3 tornadoes in the DVN CWA that day. Maybe more, I might do a quick look.

Time lapse of the Good Hope IL tor.  Watch it on full screen for the best footage.  

Around the 27 second mark watch right straight ahead.  Right there is where the wall cloud starts dipping out of the elongated rain-free base, and then goes from there...

Nice time lapse. 

You have really good visibility the whole time you were driving for the most part. Around here there is way too many trees to get real good visibility a long ways off. 

---

Regarding hail fog. I've seen that once before after a mountain thunderstorm when I was a kid. I think it was in CO I saw that phenomenon. 

Did some checking and it looks like 4/10/2008 had 7 tornadoes.  DVN has added a 6th tornado from Tuesday so we'll see if they can catch that number.

Ah, I remember the big Iowa City one in 2006 (I think a 13 tornado day), but I guess missed that 2008 one since I arrived in August of that year and most of the talk was about the flooding.

Nice to see you drop by the old sub.  :thumbsup:

Yeah this event ended up being one of the top events in the past 10 years or so.  I think the EF-2 cutting up through the northeastern QC was particularly interesting.  The tornado quickly developed and moved west of due north for a few miles before curving hard to the right (east) near Rapids City.  Such a strange evolution.  I really need to spend some time analyzing the level II data to see what the heck happened with that thing.  

You have really good visibility the whole time you were driving for the most part. Around here there is way too many trees to get real good visibility a long ways off. 

Yeah the chase terrain down there is fantastic.  I could see the initial lowering from well over 20 miles away as I approached from the north.  The higher bases that day helped as well with that.  

Nice to see you drop by the old sub.  :thumbsup:

Yeah this event ended up being one of the top events in the past 10 years or so.  I think the EF-2 cutting up through the northeastern QC was particularly interesting.  The tornado quickly developed and moved west of due north for a few miles before curving hard to the right (east) near Rapids City.  Such a strange evolution.  I really need to spend some time analyzing the level II data to see what the heck happened with that thing.  

I miss the region more and more each day. Ha

In the moment I didn't really notice the deviant motion, but it really shows up with the damage survey. The couplet was never particularly strong, but the TDS showed up clearly being so close to KDVN.

There were lots of storms in the area, so it was probably some kind of merger set it off.

Ended up on the southern dominant supercell, and followed it from SW of Jacksonville, IL up to Chebanse, IL.

Witnessed a tornado WSW of Springfield, as well as numerous lowerings/funnel clouds along the way.

Finally have the chase log and some pics up... http://www.turbulentstorm.com/blog/march-15th-2016-c-illinois-chase

15719ux.jpg

2vminfk.jpg

29m7ihl.jpg

Here's a pretty cool story from a family in East Moline that had their house largely destroyed.  A wedding dress that had been in the family for over 50 years was sucked up by the tornado and deposited across the river in Le Claire Iowa.  They thought the dress was lost forever, but was returned to them today.  

I actually drove by the home in this story yesterday as I was out looking at the damage.  

Some GoPro screen caps..
jzzojr.jpg

bfs55l.jpg

I also checked out the Illinois Welcome Center in Hampton, as I had spent time there shooting fall foliage.  Was pretty crazy to go back and see that they had been impacted by the tornado.  
rhu1ig.jpg

s4p36g.jpg

Side by side pic with the pic on the left from yesterday, and the one on the right from the fall of 2014.
4q1z09.jpg

xkx3ja.jpg

Archived