joxey
Storm and possible snow Feb 22nd

Sugarloaf1989

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan's station

Tyler Jankoski ‏@TylerJankoski  6m

GFS looks lost on Monday. It has sun. We have snow. 500 mb charts GFS/Euro look alike, Euro has snow.

CblbsF3UkAIDQVd.jpg

CblbsGdUAAABASX.jpg

Though looking things..seems like it's not snowing during the day Monday..Maybe the GFS picks up on it at 12z..I think we want this falling at night

What's the old rule? 3° north of the vortmax track?

I think that was for big systems...on smaller ones it's more like 1 degree? :lol:

I've actually found it surprising how often the model guidance has precip too far south in relation to the vort...and then they trend it a bit better. I think probably a lot of the time it is just the models like the shear the vortmax out too quickly, and then it holds it together more as it gets closer.

I dunno, we'll see what happens this time. I don't think I'll be using Kevin's -8C isotherm rule though. (which I actually think was originally the -5C isotherm rule in textbooks, lol)

I think that was for big systems...on smaller ones it's more like 1 degree? :lol:

I've actually found it surprising how often the model guidance has precip too far south in relation to the vort...and then they trend it a bit better. I think probably a lot of the time it is just the models like the shear the vortmax out too quickly, and then it holds it together more as it gets closer.

I dunno, we'll see what happens this time. I don't think I'll be using Kevin's -8C isotherm rule though. (which I actually think was originally the -5C isotherm rule in textbooks, lol)

LOL..I remember reading that rule somewhere. It was like along the -8C isotherm where you would look for another big band of deformation snow ..farther north than modeled. I distinctly recall reading that.

Is there no truth to it?

LOL..I remember reading that rule somewhere. It was like along the -8C isotherm where you would look for another big band of deformation snow ..farther north than modeled. I distinctly recall reading that.

Is there no truth to it?

It was kind of a generic rule back for when we had much less model data. There was some truth, but really not all that useful in today's forecasting. Using a hard threshold on temperature isotherm is going to fail in events that deviate from average (paste bombs and arctic fluff bombs)  I find watching vortmax tracks and mid-level tracks though to still be very useful even today...everyone forgets that model QPF is the worst scoring parameter even if it's gotten a lot better in the past decade.

Anyways, a bit OT...but that's what I meant when I was saying watch that vort track...esp on these small little redevelopers.

Yeah...that always seemed to work better with a strong, consolidated bowling ball going W to E.

Euro looks pretty flat through 48, so I'm guessing it will whiff almost clean...we've been getting pretty good changes inside 4 days on this event...so nevermind the one after it.

I was a bit premature...trying to make up for it a bit as it approaches the coast. Looks like it will be decent at least south of the pike.

Nice. We got her back. She came, left and decided to come again after all

Still jumping a bit, probably like to see some better agreement before we declare anything. Several pieces of guidance completely whiffed at 12z today.

About an inch of two along and south of the pike for the Euro...elevation will help....lower areas (esp in S CT over to SE MA) may deal with BL for part of it. Nothing all that exciting like the 12z NAM, but it still bears watching.  

I would probably be in a decent spot should that verify.

Archived