• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible 2/16 storm threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

One thing I am noting on guidance today is that HP is trying to build in more rapidly right behind this storm. Granted it doesnt appear as an arctic airmass but maybe just cold enough? There is more of a squeeze play happening with HP trying to rush in from the West, the front itself, and HP to the East with the pig 500mb ridge out in the Atlantic showing stronger each run.

The Euro is insanely cold behind the storm vs other models because it pulls down so much cold air due to the stronger low. As a matter of fact, the clipper is in South Carolina on the Euro when it was more over SNJ on the GFS

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The euro has been pretty consistent with its solution.  While in the end it may be a bit more east, I think it has the right idea.

Both the Euro and the GFS have a deep low pressure system near 40N. If the surface low tracks overhead, we'll rain heavily then dry slot. If the system tracks just East like the GFS shows then we'll start as a little snow and quickly flip to very heavy rain. If the low tracks far enough West we'll get less rain but the winds will be significant. No matter what solution you choose, rain, and lots of rain is on the table. You don't even have a CCB where you could get some dynamic cooling. You flood the mid-upper levels with the WAA and then you bring the moisture surge North with the surface low. In fact the closer the cold air is to the area, the more lift we will have and the more rain we will get.

Look at how far west the trough goes negative, it has to go inland, it can do nothing but be an inside runner, plus there is no blocking at all in front of it. Anyone who thinks this is going to turn into a snow event is going to be very severely disappointed. It is a rainstorm all the way, we are out of the game folks

Yeah that makes sense, I doubt the Apps runner though since usually they are east or west. I still think there may be a couple of inches of snow with this, even at the coast to start

Depending on how strong the WAA push is I could definitely see some snows at the start but I think the changever for pretty much everyone is unavoidable at this point.

Look at how far west the trough goes negative, it has to go inland, it can do nothing but be an inside runner, plus there is no blocking at all in front of it. Anyone who thinks this is going to turn into a snow event is going to be very severely disappointed. It is a rainstorm all the way, we are out of the game folks

No one said a snowstorm on the coast. Snow at the start is quite possible.

Depending on how strong the WAA push is I could definitely see some snows at the start but I think the changever for pretty much everyone is unavoidable at this point.

Ditto. Expecting maybe an inch or two where I am before a quick transition to heavy rain. Could end as a period of snow but the jury is still out on that.

The GFS can sometimes outperform the euro on Northern stream energy as a matter of fact with this system the GFS outperformed the euro at 168 to 192 hours when it thought this was a gulf coast storm and the GFS never really bought that idea so it would be interesting to see if once again the GFS is going to be right here because it sees northern stream influence the Euro does not

Western MA jackpots with 4-6" lmao... This is just good stuff guys

Another run, another solution from the flip flopping GFS. The Euro has been the most consistent, unwavering model, operational and ensembles and its solution makes sense given the pattern and setup. I'm sure the GFS will have a totally different solution at 0z. I'm sticking with the Euro for this one

Another run, another solution from the flip flopping GFS. The Euro has been the most consistent, unwavering model, operational and ensembles and its solution makes sense given the pattern and setup. I'm sure the GFS will have a totally different solution at 0z. I'm sticking with the Euro for this one

GFS,GGEM,Nam vs Euro, EPS and Ukie. Any solution is possible. Watch out for the kicker.

lol@ these models.. GFS is really ugly for those expecting snow in western NY/PA

Biggest losers on the 18z GFS include Binghamton.  Biggest gainers are any ski area to the east and northeast of there.  Still rain on the coast after an initial thump, but I'd vote for this solution for socio-economic reasons.  Alas, I cannot offer any scientific reasons to accept or deny the 18z GFS solution.

The follow up wave on the 18z is very interesting.

Archived