joxey
Possible 2/16 storm threat

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting set-up and three things to watch for IMO for this:

1) Initial wave with 1-3"/2-4" on the front end before a changeover

2) Possible change on the back-end of follow up frontal feature, precip is slow to move out and not impossible to get 1-2" on the back-end if timing works out right

3) Follow up clipper/low, depending on track this could be the biggest threat for more than 3"

Either way interesting set-up and most on the forum should see accumulating snow from this. 

The disturbance or weak low behind this storm looks much more interesting for something. Getting ahead of things sure with needing to see how this first system behaves and scoots out but something to watch.

That looks like a lose lose for us IMO. If this first system ends up very strong that trailing system takes a more favorable track for snow here but it probably washes out. If the first system is flat, the second system stays more potent but it may track so far north we are into south winds and see more of a mix or a dry slot

What are the current water temps along the NY and NJ coastline ?

Nam

With water temps in the mid 30's I don't think that NAM snow map will verify - only within a couple miles of the coast will the just enough warmer air penetrate ( especially with a weaker system ) to cause a mix or changeover. So frozen should last longer then advertized more then a mile or 2 inland IMO - I have seen this happen numerous times in Ocean County NJ - would change to rain up to about Silverton in Toms River and Lakewood about 7 miles away inland would remain frozen

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/catl.html

With water temps in the mid 30's I don't think that NAM snow map will verify - only within a couple miles of the coast will the just enough warmer air penetrate ( especially with a weaker system ) to cause a mix or changeover. So frozen should last longer then advertized more then a mile or 2 inland IMO

Weaker system would allow more front end but eventually will change people over to rain.

With water temps in the mid 30's I don't think that NAM snow map will verify - only within a couple miles of the coast will the just enough warmer air penetrate ( especially with a weaker system ) to cause a mix or changeover. So frozen should last longer then advertised more then a mile or 2 inland IMO

I've been pushing the water temps aspect for a few days now and nobody wanted to listen :(

I've been pushing the water temps aspect for a few days now and nobody wanted to listen :(

Well I am listening - the thing that caught my eye was that snow map and the changeover was being caused by the model using the water temps to change it over

That's because an eastern solution is just not possible... IMPOSSIBLE, and you should stop wishcasting... ;)

Jk

he is not wishcasting IMO this has nothing to do with an eastern solution it has to do with the water temps being so close to freezing and a weak flow off the water - this time of year water temps need a stronger flow to penetrate inland away from the coast ..

he is not wishcasting IMO this has nothing to do with an eastern solution it has to do with the water temps being so close to freezing and a weak flow off the water - this time of year water temps need a stronger flow to penetrate inland away from the coast ..

He did add jk at the end....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It was, all good.

I have been saying that the water temps have a significant effect on the sensible weather along and inland on the east coast though.  Earlier this season storms were following a baroclinic ribbon influenced (in part) by some really warm water offshore.  As that water cools (imho) there is a better chance for storms to take, what has been called, a more traditional track with the coast changing to rain while inland areas receive more frozen precip as storms are able to stay closer to the coast.  

The kicker is no big deal on the GFS

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_16.png

-5 AT 850 DP close to 30 around KNYC 

It is reading 33 as rain , it`s not .

SI N and W are S here .  Does not look like a robust system , but something to keep an eye on as it has trended to a colder solution over the past few days 

gfs_T2m_neus_17.png

gfs_T850_neus_18.png

Archived