joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some pretty horrible runs tonight for midweek storm. Hopefully the ensebles, Euro, and paras look better. There is time for models to change for the better, but the trend is not your friend now.

We really have to remember just HOW FAR OUT this is.... 6 days there's no such thing as trends.......

Euro went from major snowstorm, to well offshore, to inland runner,

Gfs went from well offshore to inland runner to double low mess

Ggem, went from offshore, to major snowstorm, to inland runner

Ukie is God knows where... Somewhere in PA

Stop reading into ops runs for more than what they're worth... Ensembles all look good this far out

Eps

Gefs

Geps

^^ that's all you should care about till Sunday 00z

Lol.. Gfs basically 100% on its own in all aspects of the next week, on the Sunday/Monday storm, the fact that it's nearly 12hours faster than most guidance for the midweek storm, and it kicks the high east sooo fast.. Another run, and yet another drastic solution change from the gfs

I know this was posted prior to the rest of 0z but didnt all other guidance just start moving towards a GFS op solution? Biggest concern imo are the ens means (Gefs/Geps). Too close to the coast, cold air moving out quickly.

Lets do this

WPC QPF outlook

check*

97ep48iwbg_fill.gif?1455856285

benchmark red zone track ATM Check*

1032mb Canadian High Pressure on the uptick 48 hrs pregame Check*

good vibes all round tonight from where I sit

New data suggest HP takes off to the East faster than Forrest Gump running cross country. Return flow around the departing HP is a beast.

We really have to remember just HOW FAR OUT this is.... 6 days there's no such thing as trends.......

Euro went from major snowstorm, to well offshore, to inland runner,

Gfs went from well offshore to inland runner to double low mess

Ggem, went from offshore, to major snowstorm, to inland runner

Ukie is God knows where... Somewhere in PA

Stop reading into ops runs for more than what they're worth... Ensembles all look good this far out

Eps

Gefs

Geps

^^ that's all you should care about till Sunday 00z

5 days out now and ens means now look like crud. We're headed in the wrong direction attm. Still time to shift tho but in an already marginal situation, things just became more difficult.

While I agree, the ggem is actually darn close to taking the primary rather far West too. Like u said complex situation. I'm not loving where we are sitting attm tho.

Euro shows how we can get snow ( front end thump ). It would have been nice to have a -NAO right about now. Still plenty of time for us but inland areas look to be cashing in with this storm. Thats not to say that the coast can't get a few inches from it.

I think the only thing to take away at day 5 time lead is that there is the potential for a mega bomb here..GGEM has been consistent with showing this. Euro for day 5 position does not look to bad either..UKMET is a huge outlier and the GFS has had a different solution every 6 hrs.... whether well inland or inland looks to be decent snows ..coast still in question but that is why there is 5 days still of model solutions

I think the only thing to take away at day 5 time lead is that there is the potential for a mega bomb here..GGEM has been consistent with showing this. Euro for day 5 position does not look to bad either..UKMET is a huge outlier and the GFS has had a different solution every 6 hrs.... whether well inland or inland looks to be decent snows ..coast still in question but that is why there is 5 days still of model solutions

I can agree with this. 0z wasnt a win per se but lots of time to go here. Potential still there.....most of us are still in the game. N and W of the big cities and elevated areas looking best for now tho, no doubt.

There are just as many eastern eps members as western, the mean, which is what u show is scewed by the most western ensembles

That's not where you want to see the mean 6+ days out with the tendency for models to come west since late

January in the short term.

That's not where you want to see the mean 6+ days out with the tendency for models to come west since late

January in the short term.

ENSEMBLES / NOT OP .

Major nod to the UKMET .

We go from the BM to this in 12 hours . 

Incredible . 

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_us_7.png

gfs-ens_mslpa_us_23.png

ENSEMBLES / NOT OP .

Major nod to the UKMET .

We go from the BM to this in 12 hours . 

Incredible . 

Maybe we can get a big enough AO drop later in the month into early March so we can handle an amplified system

without it coming too far west. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

For the 0Z parallel Euro fans, it's further west than the Op and EPS mean and similar to the GFS and UKMET.

It still looks like it will be going operational on March 8th.

Implementation of IFS cycle 41r2

Created by Umberto Modigliani, last modified by Paul Dando on Feb 11, 201

ECMWF plans to upgrade the horizontal resolution of its integrated forecasting system (IFS) including its high-resolution (HRES) and ensemble (ENS) forecasts.The upgraded horizontal resolution will be about 9 km for the HRES and the data assimilation (the outer loop of the 4D-Var) and about 18 km for the ENS up to day 15 and about 36 km for the extended range (monthly). The resolution of the ensemble of data assimilations (EDA) will be increased to 18 km.

Smh at D-6 forecasts based off "seasonal model tendencies", what happens when 3 days from now and 20+ model runs later the members and ops are OTS or benchmark again... And we have 3+ days STILL till event, it's insane were even talking low placement on a run to run basis 130 hours out

While I agree with you logically speaking, it's tough to ignore what every storm has done this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I agree with you logically speaking, it's tough to ignore what every storm has done this season.

You have to change the pattern before you see different results. The Western Atlantic Ridge has been very impressive since late January.

In reality they haven't trended west until within 72 hours... If models showed an inland runner or coastal hugger on Sunday/Monday if agree... But 6 days worth of runs left? We haven't even got a good grasp on timing, strength, or placement.... ALL models are still on a run to run flip flop...

Archived