• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

Getting solid inch per hour rates here. I just measured and am up to 5 inches now.

Williamsport, I truly feel sorry for you up there. I know the feeling well, having dealt with it the past few years as well. And I do owe all of you an apology for the other day when I saw the post about the blizzard warnings and complained. It was out of total frustration, but I shouldn't have done it and I'm sorry to neff and anyone else I offended.

Just frozen water, I'll live ;) thanks though, hope you get to enjoy this one from home sir.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just saw the zones, Philly is going with the lower amounts overall in Carbon County (12-16 from what I am seeing), i think. Wonder why State College went 20-30 while right next door in what should be a similar area forecast-wise that much higher.

Thanks Jim for the reply. Whether we get 18-24 or 24-30 is irrelevant, I was just wondering what CTP was seeing to include Schuylkill in the the Harrisburg metro counties, accumulation-wise, instead of issuing a warning more specific to the local area if there was indeed a difference in expected totals.

Oh, and thanks Williamsport! I'm just glad this came on a weekend, and not during the workweek, although I'd probably call my driver manager and tell her I wasn't going anywhere.

Getting solid inch per hour rates here. I just measured and am up to 5 inches now.

Williamsport, I truly feel sorry for you up there. I know the feeling well, having dealt with it the past few years as well. And I do owe all of you an apology for the other day when I saw the post about the blizzard warnings and complained. It was out of total frustration, but I shouldn't have done it and I'm sorry to neff and anyone else I offended.

it happens. don't worry. 30 miles on the edge of the big stuff has burned me. well all have our opinions, and when we're wrong, we admit it. at least here in this portion of the board, we're human enough to take our lumps. could be worse.

Thanks Jim for the reply. Whether we get 18-24 or 24-30 is irrelevant, I was just wondering what CTP was seeing to include Schuylkill in the the Harrisburg metro counties, accumulation-wise, instead of issuing a warning more specific to the local area if there was indeed a difference in expected totals.

but I do think with the variance in forecast I wonder if maybe Philly and Binghamton talked to each other to make it work out right (take a look at Hazleton to Jim Thorpe) and maybe State College didn't get into the conversation in time (Hazleton to Frackville/Pottsville)

Just measured 8.1" about 10min ago with continued moderate snow. It's been steady as she goes here tonight, with rates generally between 0.5-1" an hour. It seems the other end of the county has seen much more intense rates at times. But was outside shoveling an hour ago and took a Jebwalk down to the road and got some pics.

Also would like to note that this has been a surprisingly cold snowstorm. Temps have been in the teens throughout and it's about 18F right now. 

post-1507-0-99915800-1453542705_thumb.jp

post-1507-0-34483000-1453542764_thumb.jp

Main road (with 6"+ on it)
post-1507-0-02561000-1453542742_thumb.jp

but I do think with the variance in forecast I wonder if maybe Philly and Binghamton talked to each other to make it work out right (take a look at Hazleton to Jim Thorpe) and maybe State College didn't get into the conversation in time (Hazleton to Frackville/Pottsville)

Not sure, that could be, however, the first warning with the new 24-30 inch range was issued at 12:47am, and I just got alerted a little while ago with a new warning that was issued at 4:11am with the same totals.

Not sure, that could be, however, the first warning with the new 24-30 inch range was issued at 12:47am, and I just got alerted a little while ago with a new warning that was issued at 4:11am with the same totals.

that grouping does sound weird, as well as the totals not changing one bit. maybe makes me wonder if someone forgot to take into account what has already fallen. did you send in a public report on what you already have?

Measured 9" at our apartment. 

Sent it to CTP, but I think we already have more. 

This storm is one we're going to be telling our grand kids about 

several storms in my time from college to now. Hurricane Andrew, Blizzard of 93, the 30" dump in state college, the 1996 meltdown, Katrina, Juan, Sandy, the 2007 valentine's day cluster, the tornadoes at the end of 2007,  and the flash flooding in 2014 in PA as well as in Toronto. definitely going to be a lot of stories.

The big winners in the PNS department right now. Wow at the 2 feet in Boswell, Seven Springs and Blue Knob Ski Resorts are going to have tremendous powder days today and tomorrow. 

...SOMERSET COUNTY...
BOSWELL 23.5 330 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA
CAIRNBROOK 18.0 220 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA

SOMERSET 11.0 1103 PM 1/22 TRAINED SPOTTER
WINDBER 8.0 230 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA 

...BEDFORD COUNTY...
IMLER 14.5 300 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA
BREEZEWOOD 11.0 400 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA

...BLAIR COUNTY...
ROARING SPRING 14.0 130 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER
CLAYSBURG 12.0 315 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA
EAST FREEDOM 11.0 100 AM 1/23 SOCIAL MEDIA