joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that I can grow in a flower garden that no animal has eaten before is Shasta Daisy, that's it. My GF got me to try planting a few vegetables again so I have some tomato, cucumber, zuc, and pumpkin so we'll see how that goes this season. That garden is heavily fenced to keep the deer out, including about 8-10" into the ground to keep groundhogs out. I haven't figured out a way to keep the squirrels and chipmunks out of there so hopefully they stay away from there this year.

We had to dig wire fencing two feet down, plus two feet across in an "L" shape to keep groundhogs out of the veggie garden. Between good fortification and the frequent territory-marking of a French mastiff, the rodents are finally under control imby, but the insects have been just as damaging in recent years. They seem to proliferate in spite of all but the absolute harshest chemicals.

...I don't even like tomatoes!

We had to dig wire fencing two feet down, plus two feet across in an "L" shape to keep groundhogs out of the veggie garden. Between good fortification and the frequent territory-marking of a French mastiff, the rodents are finally under control imby, but the insects have been just as damaging in recent years. They seem to proliferate in spite of all but the absolute harshest chemicals.

...I don't even like tomatoes!

I'll tell you another trick for groundhogs, don't weed whack around the garden fence line, let the grass grow tall there. It may not look great if you love a super manicured lawn but if the groundhogs can't see it they won't know to go after it. An old timer neighbor of my parents told me that one and Ive had success with it.

Little bit of a weenie AFD from Albany this evening. Not very enthusiastic about the severe threat Sunday, but still could be the most interesting weather period of the past last couple months...

The strong QG lift will promote periods of heavy rain...and
the K-Indices are in the lower to mid 30s. It is not out of the
question that a widespread 1 to 3 inches may occur over the fcst
area Sunday into Monday morning. Highs on Sunday will generally be
in the mid 60s to mid 70s. Lows will range from the mid 50s over
the mtns to lower 60s in the valleys.

Monday to Tuesday...CSTAR warm season closed/cutoff low research
indicates some potential for severe weather especially on Monday.

I really need to invest in a real weather station.  The two closest reporting stations to me have the two day rainfall right around 1" but I can't imagine they are right.  It rained so hard twice yesterday, gutters overflowing and water running down the driveways like rivers leaving piles of debris behind.  True gullywashers that would cause flash flooding in the right situation.  Does anybody else feel like the official stations near them don't accurately reflect precip amounts?

I really need to invest in a real weather station.  The two closest reporting stations to me have the two day rainfall right around 1" but I can't imagine they are right.  It rained so hard twice yesterday, gutters overflowing and water running down the driveways like rivers leaving piles of debris behind.  True gullywashers that would cause flash flooding in the right situation.  Does anybody else feel like the official stations near them don't accurately reflect precip amounts?

Easy $30 fix.

http://www.weatheryourway.com/cocorahs/rgcoco.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Stratus-RG202-Professional-Gauge-Patio/dp/B000X3KTHS

gravitylover, on 06 Jun 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

There's nothing like having your own station when you're into weather...watching the micro climate in your own backyard is fascinating and just cant be captured using nearby stations. If you have the space and can afford it...go with the vantage pro2.

Yeah, I highly recommend getting the Stratus. The electronic rain gauges are handy too but often are not calibrated correctly and can become inaccurate in heavy rainfall rates.  I have a Davis Weather Vue and the Stratus as well which helps to keep the Davis honest, which I have dialed into .01 of the Status.  

Yeah, I highly recommend getting the Stratus. The electronic rain gauges are handy too but often are not calibrated correctly and can become inaccurate in heavy rainfall rates.  I have a Davis Weather Vue and the Stratus as well which helps to keep the Davis honest, which I have dialed into .01 of the Status.  

I have the same as well... 

All the time... I have a back up bootleg thermo that actually gives me more accuracy under those same conditions.. lol go figure

My old Davis Weather Monitor had a larger radiation shield and I never had a problem with that one. I think the smaller radiation shield on the Vue is the issue since it's an issue only on bright calm days. I just can't justify spending the bucks on a Davis Pro since I'm so close to KMGJ along with the accuracy of my other bootleg thermometers.

Only .10 yesterday, shafted again.

I don't recall if I shared this back in 2012 but I came across it at work and figured I would share it now. This could at least partially answer the question as to way the pond by me has dropped a bit while the water remained higher down in Rockland according to BxEngine.  Its an interesting read regardless I think.  

Orange County Hydrology.PDF

I got a few drops, just enough to leave the windshield spotted with clumps of pollen.

Am I dreaming or has it been windier than usual this year?  

I couldn't believe how many small branches and twigs were in my yard the other day.  I swear all my trees should be just about bare after the past couple of years.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived