• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

There's a decent band modeled on the western edge of the precipitation shield which leads to those totals. We'll have to see if that actually sets up, and if it does, where. 

You can see it from Orange County down through Central NJ here tomorrow morning.

There is always that one band at the western edge of the precip shield. Hopefully this is one of them. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how snowstorms never verify far out, but a rainstorm will be nailed two weeks out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There's good reason for it, though. The biggest snowstorms occur in a relatively narrow swath on the NW side of rapidly maturing coastal lows, with plenty of cold air around. On the other hand, we can rain in any section of any storm, with basically any track east of the Mississippi, in any air mass that isn't freshly arctic. If the models completely botch a progged cutter over Michigan, and it shifts 400 miles in either direction, we still torch and rain. If the trajectory of a cold nor'easter is anything less than perfect, we can get shafted.

There's good reason for it, though. The biggest snowstorms occur in a relatively narrow swath on the NW side of rapidly maturing coastal lows, with plenty of cold air around. On the other hand, we can rain in any section of any storm, with basically any track east of the Mississippi, in any air mass that isn't freshly arctic. If the models completely botch a progged cutter over Michigan, and it shifts 400 miles in either direction, we still torch and rain. If the trajectory of a snowy nor'easter is anything less than perfect, we can get shafted.

Oh I know this, I was just playing the "it figures" card. Your explanation by the way could not have been articulated better!

Guys our average snow is 40-50 inches. I cannot imagine we go through the rest of the winter without at least getting to half that point given the pattern moving forward. Even if we reach only 25 inches, we still need a couple of storms to give us a foot average or 4 storms to give us 6 inches average. Despite our bad luck so far, I do believe we will whiten up before winter is done.

Guys our average snow is 40-50 inches. I cannot imagine we go through the rest of the winter without at least getting to half that point given the pattern moving forward. Even if we reach only 25 inches, we still need a couple of storms to give us a foot average or 4 storms to give us 6 inches average. Despite our bad luck so far, I do believe we will whiten up before winter is done.

If it wasn't for the snowstorm in October 2011, the 11-12 winter would have had less than half of the seasonal average IMBY.

If it wasn't for the snowstorm in October 2011, the 11-12 winter would have had less than half of the seasonal average IMBY.

It is a very possible we may not even crack 6 inches, but I do believe we have at least one moderate snow event ahead. If not and we stay bare ground, as they say in sports, there's always next year.

Without that October storm I would have ended with less than 6" that winter.

As for this one, all I've got so far is wind and dark grey skies.  It looks like it's darker off to my SE though so maybe it will back in as the day progresses.  My point and click says 2-4" during the day today.  I just need my flight to get out on time tomorrow morning for that interview in IL.

It is a very possible we may not even crack 6 inches, but I do believe we have at least one moderate snow event ahead. If not and we stay bare ground, as they say in sports, there's always next year.

Yeah, we'll see.  I'm not saying one way or the other what may happen, just along for the ride.

Without that October storm I would have ended with less than 6" that winter.

As for this one, all I've got so far is wind and dark grey skies.  It looks like it's darker off to my SE though so maybe it will back in as the day progresses.  My point and click says 2-4" during the day today.  I just need my flight to get out on time tomorrow morning for that interview in IL.

If you subtract the October snow, not that we can, I had 11.5" that season.  My completely uninformed guess is that your flight will be fine and best of luck to you!  

The problem with this storm is what I've been stressing for 3 days now.. While everyone was fixated on the monster to come "west"... It in turn is Now gonna screw us on the IVT as well, a stronger, near miss coastal, is forcing the IVT to form further south, and not allowing the ULL to deepen, build better heights, and ride the coast... Literally worst case scenario for this set-up is what happened lol

Good OL winter of 16

The problem with this storm is what I've been stressing for 3 days now.. While everyone was fixated on the monster to come "west"... It in turn is Now gonna screw us on the IVT as well, a stronger, near miss coastal, is forcing the IVT to form further south, and not allowing the ULL to deepen, build better heights, and ride the coast... Literally worst case scenario for this set-up is what happened lol

Good OL winter of 16

Nature is finding every possible way not to snow around here this year. Never would have thought for a second this past Fall it would be playing out like this so far. It has to change eventually.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived