• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 23-27th Storm System's/Severe Weather Potential

HillsdaleMIWeather

...um... what? Really, they have a higher risk then us!

I understand it. Climatology argues against having severe weather this time of year. While there's obviously a severe threat per the models, they're just taking the safe route... as is SPC and Dr. Forbes.

I'm surprised IWX mentioned supercells. The risk for it is real, but talking about it this early is pretty ballsy IMO

Edit: ILN didn't mention severe weather either

1000 J/kg SBCAPE in southern Michigan at 3z in late December.  Is the 4km off its rocker?

attachicon.gif nam4kmCGP_con_sbcape_057.gif

I vote yes

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1000 J/kg SBCAPE in southern Michigan at 3z in late December.  Is the 4km off its rocker?

attachicon.gifnam4kmCGP_con_sbcape_057.gif

Most likely, though if there was ever a chance for that to verify with as strong of a moisture advection regime this would be it. Do I think 1000 J/kg+ is possible, probably not, but 500-750 J/kg isn't unrealistic.

I understand it. Climatology argues against having severe weather this time of year. While there's obviously a severe threat per the models, they're just taking the safe route... as is SPC and Dr. Forbes.

I'm surprised IWX mentioned supercells. The risk for it is real, but talking about it this early is pretty ballsy IMO

Edit: ILN didn't mention severe weather either

I vote yes

IND could've discussed the pros and cons of the setup.  Even the Michigan offices (GRR and DTX) said something about it.

Just to dive deeper into the 4km, it isn't really that unrealistic when you think about it. The only difference is in the dew points, instead of 57-58 it is 60-61. I mean if it was showing something stupid like 63+ then yeah I would immediately discount it. Hell the point sounding below has a 59 dew point with 1000+ J/kg:

SmwaFvl.png

The main thing is the cold air aloft driving the instability and I don't suspect that to change too much between now and then

Most likely, though if there was ever a chance for that to verify with as strong of a moisture advection regime this would be it. Do I think 1000 J/kg+ is possible, probably not, but 500-750 J/kg isn't unrealistic.

Absolutely. And 500-750 is certainly enough for at least a decent shot at severe weather. I'm not sure what cool season event has featured that range of CAPE in our subforum. I'm thinking 10/26/10... but the wind profile was a completely different beast.

IND could've discussed the pros and cons of the setup.  Even the Michigan offices (GRR and DTX) said something about it.

Agreed

Just to dive deeper into the 4km, it isn't really that unrealistic when you think about it. The only difference is in the dew points, instead of 57-58 it is 60-61. I mean if it was showing something stupid like 63+ then yeah I would immediately discount it. Hell the point sounding below has a 59 dew point with 1000+ J/kg:

SmwaFvl.png

The main thing is the cold air aloft driving the instability and I don't suspect that to change too much between now and then

Ah, I was wondering if maybe it was more lapse rate driven as the modeled temps/dews didn't look too crazy.  700-500 mb of 7.0 C/km in a severe weather setup is pretty darn good at this time of year.  Other models are a bit less but do show the pocket of steeper lapse rates swinging toward southern MI on Wednesday evening.

Ah, I was wondering if maybe it was more lapse rate driven as the modeled temps/dews didn't look too crazy.  700-500 mb of 7.0 C/km in a severe weather setup is pretty darn good at this time of year.  Other models are a bit less but do show the pocket of steeper lapse rates swinging toward southern MI on Wednesday evening.

Yeah, and with the strong wind field and no MCS blowing up to steal moisture, the road is open for moisture to continue to scream northward through the evening.

LOT's AFD just came out. They also mentioned the potential for low topped supercells if we can get some CAPE. 

LOT's statement: "SO A CONDITIONAL THREAT OF GUSTY WINDS/POSSIBLY

LOW-TOPPED SUPERCELLS SEEMS LIKE IT COULD EXIST...AND NOT
SURPRISINGLY SOME OF THE CIPS ANALOGS FOR SUCH A DEEP LOW TO OUR
WEST THIS TIME OF YEAR INDICATE SOME POTENTIAL FOR STRONGER
STORMS."

18Z GFS had an uptick on the Supercell composites

The GFS is available and free to everyone so we can see it....

LOT's AFD just came out. They also mentioned the potential for low topped supercells if we can get some CAPE.

LOT's statement: "SO A CONDITIONAL THREAT OF GUSTY WINDS/POSSIBLY

LOW-TOPPED SUPERCELLS SEEMS LIKE IT COULD EXIST...AND NOT

SURPRISINGLY SOME OF THE CIPS ANALOGS FOR SUCH A DEEP LOW TO OUR

WEST THIS TIME OF YEAR INDICATE SOME POTENTIAL FOR STRONGER

STORMS."

ILX basically said the same thing mentioned Several clusters of thunderstorms possibly severe also mentions if we can get breaks in cloud cover then the potential would go up

One of my weakest points of severe weather forecasting is determining storm mode. This time of the year, I just assume that it's going to be linear... because it usually is. I see the talk of low-topped supercells, and I see the models output; it looks like the dominant storm mode is semi-discrete to discrete. But is there any reason to doubt this? Events where storm mode isn't an issue are quite rare... probably even more rare for a December event... just not sure if this is really expected to be one of those events.

One of my weakest points of severe weather forecasting is determining storm mode. This time of the year, I just assume that it's going to be linear... because it usually is. I see the talk of low-topped supercells, and I see the models output; it looks like the dominant storm mode is semi-discrete to discrete. But is there any reason to doubt this? Events where storm mode isn't an issue are quite rare... probably even more rare for a December event... just not sure if this is really expected to be one of those events.

Storm mode is often difficult...sometimes it's pretty obvious that you will have a solid window of supercells and then the question is when it transitions toward more of a linear mode.  Looking at shear vectors in relation to initiating boundaries helps.  I check VV plots as well. 

One thing that bothers me a bit about this setup in terms of a better tornado threat in our region is the lack of directional shear.  Looking at forecast soundings across the region, there's really not a whole lot.  There's some in the lowest km so I guess that counts for something, and we see a lot of setups with that kind of wind profile so I guess it's not really anything new.  Mid/upper level flow is pretty meridional (better farther south).  Surface low will be deepening throughout the day so perhaps the surface winds can stay a little more backed than progged but we'll see.    

So I got my question on Weather Underground tonight. Asked if violent tornadoes are possible on Wednesday and Greg Forbes replied "Yes, violent, long tracked tornadoes are possible Wednesday." I like to ask for opinions from other meteorologists. All of that aside, 18z GFS is still holding on to a tornado outbreak on Wednesday. Soundings are better than 12z GFS. 

Storm mode is often difficult...sometimes it's pretty obvious that you will have a solid window of supercells and then the question is when it transitions toward more of a linear mode.  Looking at shear vectors in relation to initiating boundaries helps.  I check VV plots as well. 

One thing that bothers me a bit about this setup in terms of a better tornado threat in our region is the lack of directional shear.  Looking at forecast soundings across the region, there's really not a whole lot.  There's some in the lowest km so I guess that counts for something, and we see a lot of setups with that kind of wind profile so I guess it's not really anything new.  Mid/upper level flow is pretty meridional (better farther south).  Surface low will be deepening throughout the day so perhaps the surface winds can stay a little more backed than progged but we'll see.    

Thanks. I watched Rich Thompson's tornado forecasting workshop... I only remember a couple factors to help determine storm mode. One's how the upper flow matches the position of the cold front. If the flow is parallel to the front, there'll be a tendency for linear storm mode. Looking at the 18z NAM for 24/00z, it looks like that'll be the case. Since the models are showing that kind of storm mode, I have to assume that frontal convergence must be weak... or they're just underestimating it and will see a linear storm mode. That's worrisome. 

But down south, it looks like the upper flow will nearly be perpendicular to the front. That seems to be just another factor in favor for nastiness down there.

So I got my question on Weather Underground tonight. Asked if violent tornadoes are possible on Wednesday and Greg Forbes replied "Yes, violent, long tracked tornadoes are possible Wednesday." I like to ask for opinions from other meteorologists. All of that aside, 18z GFS is still holding on to a tornado outbreak on Wednesday. Soundings are better than 12z GFS. 

I'm surprised by Dr. Forbes' response... not because I disagree, but he's usually more conservative than that

GFS and NAM tend to not pick up on the low level wind response to a deepening low pressure. One would imagine the winds would be a bit more southerly maybe even south southeasterly once the low really ramps up. To be honest though what it is showing now is fine, so we have a margin of error in this case.

I would agree with him, but the potential would be better south, not to say up here doesn't have a conditional potential of stronger tornadoes as well.

Thanks. I watched Rich Thompson's tornado forecasting workshop... I only remember a couple factors to help determine storm mode. One's how the upper flow matches the position of the cold front. If the flow is parallel to the front, there'll be a tendency for linear storm mode. Looking at the 18z NAM for 24/00z, it looks like that'll be the case. Since the models are showing that kind of storm mode, I have to assume that frontal convergence must be weak... or they're just underestimating it and will see a linear storm mode. That's worrisome. 

But down south, it looks like the upper flow will nearly be perpendicular to the front. That seems to be just another factor in favor for nastiness down there.

I'm surprised by Dr. Forbes' response... not because I disagree, but he's usually more conservative than that

GFS and NAM tend to not pick up on the low level wind response to a deepening low pressure. One would imagine the winds would be a bit more southerly maybe even south southeasterly once the low really ramps up. To be honest though what it is showing now is fine, so we have a margin of error in this case.

I would agree with him, but the potential would be better south, not to say up here doesn't have a conditional potential of stronger tornadoes as well.

Yeah he's usually quite conservative on forecasts like this. I agree, if violent tornadoes were to happen, I'd go with LA to Southern MS, maybe one in Alabama too. Storm mode looks to be at least semi-discrete based on NAM-NAM 4K. Some supercells could go on for a while into the evening before either becoming linear or just weakening. 

DTX thoughts:

ATTENTION LATE WEDNESDAY INTO PREDAWN THURSDAY MORNING TURNS TO
SEVERE POTENTIAL AS LOW PRESSURE LIFTS TOWARD THE STRAITS AND
ATTENDANT LLJ OF 60KTS ENCROACHES FROM THE WEST. SE MICHIGAN WILL
REMAIN WELL-REMOVED FROM THE STRONGEST FORCING, BUT THE THREAT FOR
SHOWERS/ISOLATED TSTORMS WILL EXIST THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS T/TDS
RISE TO AROUND 58/54 DEGREES IMMEDIATELY IN ADVANCE OF THE FRONT
-
QUITE IMPRESSIVE FOR OVERNIGHT DURING LATE DECEMBER. SEASONABLY HIGH
0-6KM BULK SHEAR IN EXCESS OF 80KTS / SRH > 250 M2/S2 / MUCAPE > 300
J/KG WILL PRESENT AN INSTANCE OF SEVERE POTENTIAL IN AN EXTREME
SHEAR/VERY MARGINAL CAPE SCENARIO. SEVERE WIND GUSTS OR MARGINAL
POTENTIAL FOR ISOLATED WEAK TORNADOES MAY EXIST WITHIN STRONGER
SHOWERS. THOUGH THE THREAT WILL BE MARGINAL, POTENTIAL WARRANTS
MONITORING. FOR NOW, WILL MAKE AN INTRODUCTORY MENTION IN THE HWO
FOR WIND GUSTS TO 50 MPH WED NIGHT AS UNCERTAINTY IS HIGH ATTM.

Only the GFS is showing a T/Td similar to that and even it is a touch higher. They are going pretty bold with that T/Td so if we do realize higher T/Td like the NAM12/NAM4/Euro are showing we will really be in business I think.

Archived