• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 23-27th Storm System's/Severe Weather Potential

HillsdaleMIWeather

Not really. The wind profile profile, despite some veering with height, is fairly unidirectional. That isn't going to lead to the super high SRH values.

I see that, but I think I've seen relatively straighter hodographs with higher SRH than that

The SRH below 1km is good though; not every event is gonna be a 3/2/12.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some maps of December severe weather events in this region that I posted last year. As you can see, it's usually a south of I-80 thing, but not always.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44964-early-december-severe-potential/?p=3149100

The 2008 event was a fun one if I remember right it got started late morning/early afternoon

SREF has a peak mean of 320 MUCAPE and 210 MLCAPE for me. Not bad for a potential HSLC event. But it doesn't look very good for the majority of this subforum.

Could be worse, higher instability is north and south of you in this situation though.

It is the SREF at its furthest range, lets be a bit more cautious of using the SREF this far out, it is going to have a hard time. Once you get in the 48 hour range it has more of a use.

Could be worse, higher instability is north and south of you in this situation though.

Well yeah, on the other models... not on the SREF though.

It is the SREF at its furthest range, lets be a bit more cautious of using the SREF this far out, it is going to have a hard time. Once you get in the 48 hour range it has more of a use.

Yeah, just like NAM and GFS, gotta use with caution. NAM's too aggressive, GFS is too passive, and I'm not exactly sure what SREF is - I wanna say it's more like the GFS than NAM.

Isn't it time we move this to the main thread? I know you guys usually reserve it for high end events but it's looking more and more like this could be that caliber. I think this could be what keeps 2015 from going down as a year without a high risk if these model trends continue. 

It'd probably be for the better if it was moved to the main forum. That way everyone could easily find the convo instead of having to look through the different sub-forums. 

Edit: Or, have a bulletin on the front page or something. 

Not Euro like (which had 1000 J/kg into the southwestern LOT cwa) but it's a start

attachicon.gifnamCGP_con_mucape_072.gif

Trend is our friend here, the key too though is looking at the soundings, the 0-3km cape is in the 150-200 range there, good for stretching the surface vorticity. If values continue to rise this could really get very ominous as you noted with the winds just off the surface.

Trend is our friend here, the key too though is looking at the soundings, the 0-3km cape is in the 150-200 range there, good for stretching the surface vorticity. If values continue to rise this could really get very ominous as you noted with the winds just off the surface.

How do you know the 0-3km CAPE? Or is that also known as SBCAPE?

How do you know the 0-3km CAPE? Or is that also known as SBCAPE?

Earl Barker has it.  The maps are God awful to look at but you can get an idea.

http://wxcaster.com/smallfiles_central_svr.htm

Difference between SBCAPE and 0-3km CAPE is that SBCAPE will give you the CAPE all the way up to the EL.  0-3km just gives you the value in the lowest 3 km.

post-14-0-05355100-1450668029_thumb.gif

Difference between SBCAPE and 0-3km CAPE is that SBCAPE will give you the CAPE all the way up to the EL.  0-3km just gives you the value in the lowest 3 km.

attachicon.gifCENTRAL_ETA212_0-3KM_CAPE_72HR.gif

Thanks much! Awesome link

attachicon.gifCENTRAL_ETA212_0-3KM_CAPE_72HR.gif

The soundings on COD also have 3km CAPE too.

Archived