• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early December severe potential

illinois

Haven't started to many topics but I feel the chances are increasing enough to go ahead and begin monitoring a significant severe weather event around December 3.

I would think that this event could have a pretty high ceiling such as November 17, 2013 and December 18, 1957.

While those are high end events, they both followed significant cold shots in November.

Currently I would target an area south of a line from Columbia, Mo. to indianapolis.

The initial post was kinda bold but I think you may be onto something as far as it being a period to watch.  One important thing is that it currently doesn't appear that moisture will be gutted prior to any potential event, and there could be a nice reservoir down south just waiting to be tapped by an incoming system.  Assuming this to be the case, then the devil would be in the details (trough ejection, etc).  

The initial post was kinda bold but I think you may be onto something as far as it being a period to watch. One important thing is that it currently doesn't appear that moisture will be gutted prior to any potential event, and there could be a nice reservoir down south just waiting to be tapped by an incoming system. Assuming this to be the case, then the devil would be in the details (trough ejection, etc).

I agree very bold, not calling for a historic outbreak yet, but like I said I think the ceiling is pretty high based on other events in similar years.

Not expecting much locally (except maybe more synoptic high winds).

But the biggest detriment to a bigger severe weather event will be the low-level inversion that has locked in due to the abnormal cold we've had...

I fail to see how the inversion/cold right now has a connection to any potential severe threat, especially since there looks to be a period of milder weather beforehand.  It's tough getting severe in Michigan in December but I guess I don't follow your logic.

I fail to see how the inversion/cold right now has a connection to any potential severe threat, especially since there looks to be a period of milder weather beforehand.  It's tough getting severe in Michigan in December but I guess I don't follow your logic.

Well like any system this time of year, it's much harder to generate instability and sustain vertical development with the capped mixing heights (because of the cold low-level airmass that will be retreating), short of having an extremely warm antecedent airmass (like October 2007) or a system like we had last November in which the intense synoptic forces convective development.

I was pretty much just stating the obvious detriment. Sure, we do get events like November 2013, but they're not common for the aforementioned reason.

Not expecting much locally (except maybe more synoptic high winds).

But the biggest detriment to a bigger severe weather event will be the low-level inversion that has locked in due to the abnormal cold we've had...

Well like any system this time of year, it's much harder to generate instability and sustain vertical development with the capped mixing heights (because of the cold low-level airmass that will be retreating), short of having an extremely warm antecedent airmass (like October 2007) or a system like we had last November in which the intense synoptic forces convective development.

I was pretty much just stating the obvious detriment. Sure, we do get events like November 2013, but they're not common for the aforementioned reason.

These two things together don't make any sense. If you have very strong WAA, like 11/17/13 and regardless of time of year, you can get severe weather regardless of what the antecedent air mass was like (because it replaces it). There was a strong (I believe record breaking in some areas) cold snap 5 days prior to 11/17/13.

Either you are misplacing your words/terms or you are off on a strange tangent.

I would agree that this is not an event that I would expect to cause severe weather north of I 80. But in the original post I outline an area south of basically I 70. As I said earlier both cases I outlined featured substaintial below normal temperatures before the outbreak. I am not at all worried about recent cold, really has nothing to do with this developing threat.

To the OP, the two outbreaks you listed are literally the top-end for the region in the given month and Dec 1957 is generally the meter stick that all December tornado events are measured up against. It's going to take something pretty serious to reach those heights.

To the OP, the two outbreaks you listed are literally the top-end for the region in the given month and Dec 1957 is generally the meter stick that all December tornado events are measured up against. It's going to take something pretty serious to reach those heights.

I said ceiling, I would agree that is THE event for not just December but probably October, November and December.

I just see some similar aspects that could push this to a fairly significant event. It is a long ways out, but things are lining up to be interesting at the very least.

Some big outbreaks have already been mentioned in this thread, but here are some smaller outbreaks that have occurred in the month of December... keeping in mind that older events in particular were underreported.

Warning:  image overload  :D

post-14-0-72746500-1416890570_thumb.png

post-14-0-88337000-1416890578_thumb.png

post-14-0-63951000-1416890587_thumb.png

post-14-0-18311700-1416890598_thumb.png

post-14-0-96771700-1416890608_thumb.png

post-14-0-47988000-1416890617_thumb.png

post-14-0-13161300-1416890629_thumb.png

post-14-0-25153400-1416890639_thumb.png

post-14-0-69519800-1416890650_thumb.png

post-14-0-18077900-1416890660_thumb.png

post-14-0-71604100-1416890671_thumb.png

post-14-0-04422300-1416890684_thumb.png

post-14-0-96379500-1416890697_thumb.png

post-14-0-46587100-1416890709_thumb.png

post-14-0-40244500-1416890720_thumb.png

post-14-0-77429200-1416890737_thumb.png

post-14-0-22595900-1416890749_thumb.png

post-14-0-16677900-1416890760_thumb.png

post-14-0-22899800-1416890770_thumb.png

post-14-0-05767700-1416890780_thumb.png

I said ceiling, I would agree that is THE event for not just December but probably October, November and December.

I just see some similar aspects that could push this to a fairly significant event. It is a long ways out, but things are lining up to be interesting at the very least.

But that's almost like saying any deep trough 10 days away from impacting the southeast in the middle of spring has a ceiling of April 3 or April 27.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm never going to understand the point of posting some model runs almost 2 weeks out and compare them to a major event. That's probably why my facebook page only has 85 likes.  :arrowhead:

But that's almost like saying any deep trough 10 days away from impacting the southeast in the middle of spring has a ceiling of April 3 or April 27.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm never going to understand the point of posting some model runs almost 2 weeks out and compare them to a major event. That's probably why my facebook page only has 85 likes. :arrowhead:

Hey I understand this is a pretty bold call. For me it was not just the models but a combination of the models and the overall pattern along with some analog events.

I hope I am wrong really, but I felt comfortable enough with the risk to pull the trigger.

Archived