Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 23-27th Storm System's/Severe Weather Potential

HillsdaleMIWeather

OK Folks, heres what we know:

23rd:

ehfEY9C.gif

bRGLxZH.gif

This would lead to a potential decent severe event across this subforum (particularly the Southeastern) and a large-scale outbreak down south.

25th-27th

Models are arguing over the exact details, but another severe event is possible the 26th, with rain in between.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The modeled large warm sectors for these potential events really stand out to me. That seems impressive for this time of year.

It is certainly highly anomalous, thanks to the 594 dm Bermuda ridge being progged, which is basically unheard of this late in the year.

I've been watching both of these systems for several days now living in the Indpls area.  IMBY concerns really argue for the weekend impact but could have some excitement down south. before then.  If  the main forum is only used for HIGH RISK situations  (SPC definition?) we will rarely have a multi region system covered there.

I'm dubious about the northward extent of severe weather on the 23rd, but for the GFS to have 500 J/kg SBCAPE almost up to I-80 catches my attention.  Will be interesting to see what the NAM has as it gets a better handle on this system.

You should probably take a glance at the Euro. It has >1000 J/kg CAPE in IL thanks to very cold air aloft.

You should probably take a glance at the Euro. It has >1000 J/kg CAPE in IL thanks to very cold air aloft.

Yes, I was just coming back here to post that.  I'm certainly not writing off a threat...I guess my natural tendency is to be skeptical of severe storms this far north in December, though I know it has happened.

Yes, I was just coming back here to post that. I'm certainly not writing off a threat...I guess my natural tendency is to be skeptical of severe storms this far north in December, though I know it has happened.

Yeah in a year similar to this, 1957. The Euro has more realistic representation of the atmosphere, which has 1000-1500 j/kg across parts of IL.

Should be clear, when I'm talking about a threat this far north, I'm talking about the I-80 area, not the Ohio Valley. Though the Euro instability would probably be enough to get it that far north.

Honestly with a setup like this 500 to 750 J/kg will get things going, which the GFS shows at 216 getting almost to Gary, and that is with bad GFS parameters.

Honestly with a setup like this 500 to 750 J/kg will get things going, which the GFS shows at 216 getting almost to Gary, and that is with bad GFS parameters.

I agree...if we can realize >500 J/kg then that should be enough for a decent wintertime threat.  System has a number of favorable factors going for it and I like the pretty rapid deepening being shown on Wednesday.  Do wish there was a bit more time for better northward moisture return (check the progs for Tuesday and you'll see what I'm talking about) but it's certainly workable and it could obviously be worse. 

Usually don't go to the main forum unless it looks high risk caliber.  I haven't looked at this at all so I'm not sure about the threat level.  Can always move it if necessary.

NWS Birmingham suggests it could certainly be one of those events

NOW ON TO THE POSSIBLE HIGH IMPACT PART OF THE FORECAST...

MODELS ARE IN SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER AGREEMENT TODAY REGARDING THE

EVOLUTION OF THE UPPER-AIR PATTERN FOR WEDNESDAY...AND IT IS NOT

GOOD NEWS. SEVERAL HISTORIC COOL-SEASON SEVERE WEATHER ANALOGS ARE

SHOWING UP BASED ON THE FORECAST UPPER-AIR PATTERN. MODELS HAVE

TRENDED TOWARD THE ECMWF SOLUTION WITH MORE VORTICITY IN THE BASE

OF THE TROUGH ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PLAINS. THIS WILL CAUSE STRONG

SURFACE CYCLOGENESIS TO OCCUR TO OUR NORTHWEST AND SUBSTANTIAL

PRESSURE FALLS FARTHER SOUTH ACROSS INTO OUR AREA...LEADING TO

STRENGTHENING WIND FIELDS ACROSS A LARGE AREA. THE CONVECTIVE

EVOLUTION WITH THIS SYSTEM REMAINS A BIT UNCLEAR...BUT IT APPEARS

LESS LIKELY THAT COASTAL CONVECTION WILL BE A SIGNIFICANT

INHIBITING FACTOR IN POLEWARD MOISTURE ADVECTION. ONE POSSIBLE

SCENARIO IS THAT RAIN DEPARTS TO THE EAST DURING THE MORNING ON

WEDNESDAY...ALLOWING UNUSUALLY RICH GULF MOISTURE TO MOVE INLAND

FROM THE NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO. IF THIS OCCURS...CONDITIONS

COULD BECOME RIPE FOR A TORNADO OUTBREAK FROM THE LOWER MS VALLEY

EASTWARD INTO PARTS OF CENTRAL ALABAMA. FORECAST SOUNDINGS...

PARTICULARLY ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND WESTERN PARTS OF OUR AREA...

SHOW ABUNDANT LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE BENEATH STEEP MID-LEVEL LAPSE

RATES AND NEARLY TEXTBOOK WIND SHEAR PROFILES. IF THIS OCCURS...

SUPERCELLS WITH TORNADOES...DAMAGING WINDS...AND LARGE HAIL WOULD

BE POSSIBLE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT. IT IS

IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW MUCH GULF COAST CONVECTION WILL BE

PRESENT ON WEDNESDAY...AND IT MAY MAKE OR BREAK THIS FORECAST.

Anyway... I like the trends for our region. Last time we had a winter severe event was February 2014... been way too long. But the potential down south is really impressive.

ILN didn't say anything about severe potential other than isolated t-storms are possible.

NWS Birmingham suggests it could certainly be one of those events

Anyway... I like the trends for our region. Last time we had a winter severe event was February 2014... been way too long. But the potential down south is really impressive.

ILN didn't say anything about severe potential other than isolated t-storms are possible.

Agreed there brother, we could have a Enhanced Risk event up here if trends go the way of the ECMWF.

Agreed there brother, we could have a Enhanced Risk event up here if trends go the way of the ECMWF.

I guess it's possible if enough CAPE verifies. I think we'd need like 500 j/kg to have a better chance of an enhanced. 

When GFS is showing even decent potential, you know you have reason to be optimistic about seeing something. Here's an 18z GFS sounding for Cincinnati. I think there's something wrong with their SRH calculation... I can't imagine how a hodograph like that only equates to 286 m2/s2. But this looks decent for some low-topped action here.

oopCa17.png

I guess it's possible if enough CAPE verifies. I think we'd need like 500 j/kg to have a better chance of an enhanced. 

When GFS is showing even decent potential, you know you have reason to be optimistic about seeing something. Here's an 18z GFS sounding for Cincinnati. I think there's something wrong with their SRH calculation... I can't imagine how a hodograph like that only equates to 286 m2/s2. But this looks decent for some low-topped action here.

oopCa17.png

From the data, that calculation has to be off. 

Archived