• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 16th-18th Lake Effect Snow

CanadianGuy

I'm sure Lake Nipigon just provides the initial lift, but Superior and Lake Michigan provide 99% of the moisture that gets to me. This band actually was almost all the way to Bay City earlier.

The thing about Lake Nipigon, its influence ends almost by Dec 1st. It spends the next 5 months frozen over.

Oh, definitely.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where the quote came from........ An official  weather office recording station in N. London a 1/4 mile from where I lived at the time in London recorded 60" in a 5 day stretch in Dec'77, so we do have our moments.   

I remember Dec. 2010. One of the greatest London events ever, that band was so strong and they just got pummeled. I think some totals were over 50". Did you guys get hit bad by this one?

Location snowfall amounts (cm snow) London 45-55

London aiport 53

Southeast of London 65-70

Lucan (northwest of London) 114

That band had insane returns.

20131124_1200_ontario_radars.gif?w=500&h

It looks like one of the Wunderground webcams in northern London has a little snow on the grass. It looks like the band will setup a little west of where it is now and persist in a similar location for several hours, so the worst may just miss London. Could be an interesting site later this morning.

The bands in the northern LP of MI and UP near and east of MQT are fairly intense and it's certainly cold enough for accums there. The bands are moving a little bit which will hopefully keep things under control. The HRRR keeps spitting out a good amount of QPF overnight into the morning east Marquette and also between Lake MI and I-75 in northwest lower MI. Hopefully someone who posts here gets lucky and wakes up to a couple inches!

The Georgian Bay band is doing a lot better (right now). From the alignment of the winds you can see it has better fetch going and a more unidirectional flow pattern than the Lake Huron/London band. Colder temps to the north obviously help too.

LYUV5to.jpg

If winds veer a bit more(which is shown on the HRRR for this aft) the band should be able to extend further south as topography and slightly better fetch allow it to extend out from the lip of the bay. I have noticed that the larger the N component to the wind, the more confined the band is to areas likes Meaford/Shelburne/markdale etc.  I can see the band shifting from C-W to Northern york region this afternoon. As sfc temps heat up and 850's stay AOB -7c it would make sense that some pop up snow showers will extend well away from the snowbelts. Some flakes into the GTA seems possible IMO between 1-4pm.

It looks like the band off of Lake Huron has only produced a small area of meaningful accumulations thus far closer to the lake. It's been sort of cellular in nature and not really focused which has probably been hurting it. The Georgian Bay band also looks a little cellular but may be a little bit more focused near the shoreline, so it could be producing some better accums in a smaller area.

It looks like the band off of Lake Huron has only produced a small area of meaningful accumulations thus far closer to the lake. It's been sort of cellular in nature and not really focused which has probably been hurting it. The Georgian Bay band also looks a little cellular but may be a little bit more focused near the shoreline, so it could be producing some better accums in a smaller area.

Any chance of accumulations tonight in the London area? It's looking like we are just going to get flurries today w/ no acc. 

Any chance of accumulations tonight in the London area? It's looking like we are just going to get flurries today w/ no acc.

It's possible this evening as the winds gain a bit more of a westerly component ahead of a trough moving through. I'm a little surprised the band hasn't been more organized this morning, but maybe you can get some heavy bursts and quick accums this evening. I'd feel more confident a little farther north.

It's possible this evening as the winds gain a bit more of a westerly component ahead of a trough moving through. I'm a little surprised the band hasn't been more organized this morning, but maybe you can get some heavy bursts and quick accums this evening. I'd feel more confident a little farther north.

Alright, thanks

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I notice now DTX has "Isolated Snow Showers" in my Forecast. Yet to see anything though, and it's quite warm still.

Saw some flurries this afternoon around 4pm. Was not expecting it. Snowflakes too, no rain, no graupel. DTW already on the board for the 2015-16 with a T. Temps are in the low-mid 40s but dewpoints in the low-mid 20s. The temp drops when a shower falls. A friend said he had a nice snow shower in Commerce Township today.

Any word on accums downwind of Lake Huron or Georgian Bay? There have been very strong radar returns in those bands all day. With the extreme instability I still don't want to rule out a decent accum tonight in localized areas where any bands sit...even NW PA could still do locally OK in the higher terrain if a good Huron-Erie connection remains in place overnight which seems like a good possibility.

Any word on accums downwind of Lake Huron or Georgian Bay? There have been very strong radar returns in those bands all day. With the extreme instability I still don't want to rule out a decent accum tonight in localized areas where any bands sit...even NW PA could still do locally OK in the higher terrain if a good Huron-Erie connection remains in place overnight which seems like a good possibility.

Looks like they got hit good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/vaughanweather

CRjEqubUwAARkyu.jpg

CRjEqv3VAAAS_Ou.jpg

CRjFHStVEAEmuM6.jpg

Archived