Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA and the fringes - Summer into Fall

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I noticed that from radar trends as well. Idk why, but northern Harford county has been getting shelled this summer. Areas like Norrisville and Bel Air have been seeing impressive totals for precip.

And I'm actually not in Millersville or Carney anymore. I moved to Hagerstown last week because of my new job. You'll still get Carney totals from me during winter season, but you'll see Hagerstown totals now too!! I still like posting here since everyone here is extremely friendly and very informative for all events. I love this subforum. And it makes for a great escape from the MA forum when you're getting shelled and DC is seeing white rain haha

Nice!! :)

Looking ahead a bit. With what experts are saying will be a very strong El Nino this winter, what does that mean for our winters typically? 

We're already seeing the effects of the El-Nino in the tropics, where the SST anomalies are below average in the tropical Atlantic where we should be starting to see increasing convection as the Cape Verde hurricane season typically starts kicking into gear in August. 

In terms of winter certainly more than a weak El-Nino should generally imply that our region might have a wetter winter than the previous two.. as those last two were fairly dry, specifically last winter which helped have us in the hole enough for drought watches in some central counties before the June deluge set in. Additionally, that should eventually help the drought stricken west coast as the winter wet season sets in. A more influential El-Nino should bode well for an active southern jet and more precipitation chances, with of course the question being how much of those precipitation chances get cashed into snow events. Current ENSO forecasts have quite a sizeable El-Nino event persisting into the winter (flirting with and/or exceeding "Strong" status of > 1.5C)..quite possibly making for an event that competes with the 97-98 super nino. 

For a refresher the 97-98 winter was a very active one storm wise and often had quite favorable snowstorm tracks, but was very devoid of cold air. That led to interior sites like State College and Williamsport seeing an average winter snow wise while LSV sites saw a pretty lousy winter (Harrisburg had ~12" for that winter). Not saying we're going to see a repeat of course. A large portion of the Pacific up the west coast into the Gulf of Alaska persists with also having above average SST's (which has aided in the major Pac ridging we have had the last couple winters). So it remains to be seen how that whole Pacific pattern interacts with itself as we get into the fall and so forth. And of course the ENSO forecasts are just that.. forecasts. Reality could have an early peak and fade of the Nino in time for the winter months. Either way we're likely looking at a moderate nino winter at least, and I would wager we could see a milder winter (at least IN COMPARISON to the last couple).. which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I were an I-95er.. I would hope the "strong" nino event doesn't come to fruition.. as the correlation between that and below average snowfall is quite a solid one. 

Pulled up the radar data from Friday and was going over it this morning since I never really had a good look at it while the storms were going through Friday. Given the D1 SPC tornado probs that were out for Friday (5% over most of the eastern half of PA and 2% elsewhere), I was kinda surprised they went for a straight up tornado watch despite some favorable parameters. However it probably ended up being a good thing as CTP's area ended up with 2 confirmed despite what otherwise was a run of the mill PA severe day at best and both came out of non warned cells. I know that if I were in the NWS's position I likely wouldn't have tor warned the responsible cells either as the velocity scans didn't really show very much. One of those situations where real time spotter reports would be very valuable for issuing warnings. 

2039z (440pm)

post-1507-0-06913700-1436722665_thumb.pn

2044z

post-1507-0-54938700-1436722736_thumb.pn

2055z

post-1507-0-92219500-1436722774_thumb.pn

2100z

post-1507-0-82872500-1436722805_thumb.pn

We're already seeing the effects of the El-Nino in the tropics, where the SST anomalies are below average in the tropical Atlantic where we should be starting to see increasing convection as the Cape Verde hurricane season typically starts kicking into gear in August. 

In terms of winter certainly more than a weak El-Nino should generally imply that our region might have a wetter winter than the previous two.. as those last two were fairly dry, specifically last winter which helped have us in the hole enough for drought watches in some central counties before the June deluge set in. Additionally, that should eventually help the drought stricken west coast as the winter wet season sets in. A more influential El-Nino should bode well for an active southern jet and more precipitation chances, with of course the question being how much of those precipitation chances get cashed into snow events. Current ENSO forecasts have quite a sizeable El-Nino event persisting into the winter (flirting with and/or exceeding "Strong" status of > 1.5C)..quite possibly making for an event that competes with the 97-98 super nino. 

For a refresher the 97-98 winter was a very active one storm wise and often had quite favorable snowstorm tracks, but was very devoid of cold air. That led to interior sites like State College and Williamsport seeing an average winter snow wise while LSV sites saw a pretty lousy winter (Harrisburg had ~12" for that winter). Not saying we're going to see a repeat of course. A large portion of the Pacific up the west coast into the Gulf of Alaska persists with also having above average SST's (which has aided in the major Pac ridging we have had the last couple winters). So it remains to be seen how that whole Pacific pattern interacts with itself as we get into the fall and so forth. And of course the ENSO forecasts are just that.. forecasts. Reality could have an early peak and fade of the Nino in time for the winter months. Either way we're likely looking at a moderate nino winter at least, and I would wager we could see a milder winter (at least IN COMPARISON to the last couple).. which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I were an I-95er.. I would hope the "strong" nino event doesn't come to fruition.. as the correlation between that and below average snowfall is quite a solid one.

Many thanks for this post. Your knowledge is much appreciated and a real asset. Hope all is going well this boring summer!

Great write up MAG. I'm curious to see if we can get any help from the NPAC combined with the Nino. This type of setup could be tricky for the big cities, but people 50 miles west could be grinning. One things for sure, the flood gates of moisture on the east coast should be there. Just have to see how we cooperate temperature wise.

I guess it did rain overnight, but was after 12:30 when I went to bed. No idea if it stormed here, we didn't hear anything. 

It hit here right about 3:00am, and it damn near caused a catastrophe. Our dog is scared of storms so she ran upstairs and laid down in the hallway (unbeknownst to me). I didn't see her there and tripped over her. When I "kicked" her, she stood up which knocked me off balance and I took a nasty header right over her and into the wall and the floor. I'm lucky I didn't break anything the way I landed.

It hit here right about 3:00am, and it damn near caused a catastrophe. Our dog is scared of storms so she ran upstairs and laid down in the hallway (unbeknownst to me). I didn't see her there and tripped over her. When I "kicked" her, she stood up which knocked me off balance and I took a nasty header right over her and into the wall and the floor. I'm lucky I didn't break anything the way I landed.

Yikes! Lucky indeed. I've tripped over our cat who LOVES to sleep curled up in the dead center of the hallway upstairs in the dead of night too. Not. Fun.

Last night my wife nearly chopped the end of a finger off pruning some bushes. Be careful, kids, with sharp objects!

There was still a flap of skin so she got stitched up and should be OK in a few weeks. Fun times at urgent care. 

Yikes! Lucky indeed. I've tripped over our cat who LOVES to sleep curled up in the dead center of the hallway upstairs in the dead of night too. Not. Fun.

Last night my wife nearly chopped the end of a finger off pruning some bushes. Be careful, kids, with sharp objects!

There was still a flap of skin so she got stitched up and should be OK in a few weeks. Fun times at urgent care. 

Damn, bet that hurt.

Archived