joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2015/16

snywx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the posts in the El Niño thread are hilarious, the Snow/No Snow hate posts have started early this year thanks to the "super El Niño" lol... I'm rolling with whatever Mother Nature throws... As long as it's cold enough to fire up the wood stove and we get at least one wallop storm (preferably around Xmas) I'm happy

We spent a lot of time last year talking about how NYC and the interior usually didn't have shared interests, and that's still true. Apocalyptic for the metro could very easily be a banner year for this thread... especially if the concern is a couple degrees too warm on average.

Reading the posts in the El Niño thread are hilarious, the Snow/No Snow hate posts have started early this year thanks to the "super El Niño" lol... I'm rolling with whatever Mother Nature throws... As long as it's cold enough to fire up the wood stove and we get at least one wallop storm (preferably around Xmas) I'm happy

What grinds my gears, and it's not just in that thread, is the need for some to be correct and be the first one to call whatever they think is going to happen. To me that's all a sign of insecurity, the weather is gonna be what it's gonna be no matter who called it first.

I had to leave OBX on Wednesday, my buddy had a death in the family so I had to get him home. The weather went down hill starting on Monday there so there wasn't going to be much drinking on the beach this trip anyway. Of course the weather geek in me was interested in experiencing the storm down there. What little bit I did experience was interesting, the drive up Highway 12 from Waves was an experience on Wednesday morning with blowing and drifting sand. I drove through one sand drift that was 6-8" tall and the sound of sand blasting the car for miles was a bit unnerving. The highway crews were out with pay loaders and excavators pushing the sand banks back from the road.

First guess is 5 inches for my area for the week.

Not sure what to make out of the storm that is projected to come up the coast.

May be a little to far west to get fire hosed with the max pure H2o.

Time will tell what occurs.

We might be a little too far inland for the heavier stuff, but that could always change of course. The thing that I'm looking at now is how cold the temps will be Friday. Some local forecasts are showing low 50s as highs. Imagine that.

Latest from Mt holly NWS.

Main rain threat looks to be later today into tomorrow.

Keeping an eye on the weekend storm, but odds favor my location is to far west to get decent rains.

AS WE GO THROUGH FRIDAY INTO THE WEEKEND, MODELS DIVERGE QUITE
SIGNIFICANTLY ON HOW THEY HANDLE TROPICAL STORM JOAQUIN. THE
LATEST OFFICIAL TRACK FROM THE HURRICANE CENTER BRINGS THE STORM
OFFSHORE OF THE DELMARVA BY SATURDAY EVENING. IF THE STORM PASSES
THIS CLOSE, WE WOULD LIKELY HAVE STRONG WINDS AND RAIN FOR AT
LEAST OUR SOUTHERN COASTAL AREAS, DEPENDING ON THE TRACK. CONTINUE
TO MONITOR THE LATEST TRACK AND STATEMENTS REGARDING TROPICAL
STORM JOAQUIN FOR FUTURE UPDATES.

AS WE GO THROUGH SUNDAY AND INTO MONDAY, THE GFS AND ECMWF STILL
DIFFER IN HOW THEY HANDLE THE UPPER LOW AND SURFACE FEATURES. THE
GFS PUSHES THE SYSTEM NORTH OF THE AREA, WHILE THE ECMWF SLOWLY
TRACKS IT ACROSS OUR AREA THEN TO OUR NORTHEAST INTO EARLY NEXT
WEEK. THE GFS SOLUTION WOULD BE DRY AFTER SUNDAY, WHILE THE WOULD
CONTINUE A WET FORECAST INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK. WITH THE
UNCERTAINTY, WE WILL FOLLOW WPC FOR THE END OF THE PERIOD, WHICH
KEEPS A SMALL CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION INTO MONDAY.

Archived