joxey
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2015/16

snywx

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.37 storm total.

1.63" total here

Pretty good for both of those. I guess inconsistent totals is what we always expected.

Guess who's back :)

I'm sure nobody missed me anyways haha, had my first baby and been off from work for 8 weeks!

Settled in and ready to start this fall/winter

Congrats and welcome back! Time to catch up on months of heat/drought talk? ;)

Pretty good for both of those. I guess inconsistent totals is what we always expected.

Congrats and welcome back! Time to catch up on months of heat/drought talk? ;)

Yea thats why I wasn't in a rush to make an appearance haha

What do you think about the possible "super El Niño" as NWS says has a 95% chance now?

Good news for drought stricken west, could be a toss up here tho

Guess who's back :)

I'm sure nobody missed me anyways haha, had my first baby and been off from work for 8 weeks!

Settled in and ready to start this fall/winter

Congrats!  People tend to take a break over the warmer months anyway, we'll see others return and/or post more as we head through fall.  There some good info in the El Nino thread along with some not so good sensational stuff.  If there's anything I've learned in all my years of following the weather at the end of the day you need to say what actually happens outside your door.  I've seen plenty of long range forecasts bust one way or the other.

Congrats! People tend to take a break over the warmer months anyway, we'll see others return and/or post more as we head through fall. There some good info in the El Nino thread along with some not so good sensational stuff. If there's anything I've learned in all my years of following the weather at the end of the day you need to say what actually happens outside your door. I've seen plenty of long range forecasts bust one way or the other.

Totally agree, btw I never thanked you for the video, i did receive it and me and the guys at work watched it

As for the weather I have another question, haven't bought a weather station for my new house.. Any suggestions? I want something I can access from my phone since I work a it 40 miles south and 24 hour shifts

Totally agree, btw I never thanked you for the video, i did receive it and me and the guys at work watched it

As for the weather I have another question, haven't bought a weather station for my new house.. Any suggestions? I want something I can access from my phone since I work a it 40 miles south and 24 hour shifts

I wish the quality was better on that video but it is what it is, you're welcome.

As for the weather station, part of the question is how much are you looking to spend?  I got a Davis Weather Monitor II back in 1997 or there about's and loved it.  I replaced that with a Davis Weather Vue a few years ago.  While it is also a solid station I think it can run a degree or two warm in the sun but not under all conditions.  I'm still trying to get to the bottom of when it happens but I'm guessing the smaller radiation shield is the culprit.  I don't have any issues with low temps though as all my thermometers are consistent for lows. That's a sign of illness probably, having multiple thermometers and rain gauges, LOL.  I just don't see the need to get the better Davis with all the bells and whistles when I live so close to KMGJ.  Now that I'm an empty nester though I could see doing it anyway one of these years,  I can't speak on the other brands out there except to say that my father has been through a number of them over the years with limited success.    

I wish the quality was better on that video but it is what it is, you're welcome.

As for the weather station, part of the question is how much are you looking to spend? I got a Davis Weather Monitor II back in 1997 or there about's and loved it. I replaced that with a Davis Weather Vue a few years ago. While it is also a solid station I think it can run a degree or two warm in the sun but not under all conditions. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of when it happens but I'm guessing the smaller radiation shield is the culprit. I don't have any issues with low temps though as all my thermometers are consistent for lows. That's a sign of illness probably, having multiple thermometers and rain gauges, LOL. I just don't see the need to get the better Davis with all the bells and whistles when I live so close to KMGJ. Now that I'm an empty nester though I could see doing it anyway one of these years, I can't speak on the other brands out there except to say that my father has been through a number of them over the years with limited success.

Yea up here the closest I have is Newburgh stations but even that's like night and day, 84 is usually the battleground so I could be at work at West Point and it will be raining, but dumping snow back home in the mountains

I don't think I've ever had a PWS with a rain gauge or anemometer that actually works properly...

Ive had a vantage pro for 12 years now and it works fine...have to maintain it and replace parts when they wear out, but worth the price imo. Not a fan of the all in one stations including the vantage vue...trying to measure wind, temp and precip at the same height is gonna lead to problems. I realize many homes have exposure problems for weather equipment so we have to do the best we can.

I don't think I've ever had a PWS with a rain gauge or anemometer that actually works properly...

The rain gauge on both Davis stations was/is spot on. I have my manual gauge as back up and unless there is an obstruction of some sort the two gauges always match up. Ive heard before that many PWS lose their accuracy as the rainfall rates increase but I haven't run into that problem personally.

Ive had a vantage pro for 12 years now and it works fine...have to maintain it and replace parts when they wear out, but worth the price imo. Not a fan of the all in one stations including the vantage vue...trying to measure wind, temp and precip at the same height is gonna lead to problems. I realize many homes have exposure problems for weather equipment so we have to do the best we can.

So true on the anemometer, with an all in one station you're going to lose accuracy of something. I don't fret on the wind here, I'm surrounded by trees pretty much anyway. Even with a separate anemometer I've seen guys put it up near the roof of the house and that will mess up the accuracy depending on the wind direction as wind will bounce off of the roof.

So true on the anemometer, with an all in one station you're going to lose accuracy of something. I don't fret on the wind here, I'm surrounded by trees pretty much anyway. Even with a separate anemometer I've seen guys put it up near the roof of the house and that will mess up the accuracy depending on the wind direction as wind will bounce off of the roof.

Same here, surrounded on three sides by trees so even with anemometer on a mast on the roof, still wont get good wind readings during growing season, but like you said I don't fret about it either.

The rain gauge on both Davis stations was/is spot on. I have my manual gauge as back up and unless there is an obstruction of some sort the two gauges always match up. Ive heard before that many PWS lose their accuracy as the rainfall rates increase but I haven't run into that problem personally.

Interesting, Davis is one of the brands I haven't tried yet. I'm in the market for a whole new system at some point before the winter so I should probably start getting serious about looking soon.

Interesting, Davis is one of the brands I haven't tried yet. I'm in the market for a whole new system at some point before the winter so I should probably start getting serious about looking soon.

Scientific Sales looks to have decent prices on Davis products. They offer a discount online.

Suspect if you call them direct, can get a few more dollars off the cost.

Archived