• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 CWG summer outlook

Deck Pic

Looks good..EPS, GEFS, and the NAEFS continue the very warm look going into June, with high geopotential heights dominating the region w/ flat streamflow above 50N and low heights in the NM/TX. That's a classic warm/humid pattern for DC.

Definitely looking like a warm one so far.

:axe: :axe: :axe::violin:

nice job Matt.

Hard to imagine a mild August without some tropical activity.  Seems like the summer dry season arrived early this year.

I remain pretty steadfast in my expectation that June ends much more mild than May by comparison.  This seems to align OK with your thinking too.

It should be noted that strong MJO forcing is more common during El Niño events, not the other way around. Indeed, June 1997 had the highest June amplitude on record.  The five highest June averages are:

1. 2.074, 1997 (May-June MEI: +2.314) -- emergent El Niño or El Niño

2. 1.880 2002 (May-June MEI: +0.882) -- emergent El Niño or El Niño

3. 1.640, 1979 (May-June MEI: +0.389)

4. 1.577, 1996 (May-June MEI: +0.022)

5. 1.575, 1986 (May-June MEI: +0.316) -- emergent El Niño or El Niño

The data is as follows:

ENSO06012015_2.jpg

I think that's a definite possibility. Warming in the IO relative to the PAC has altered the long term ENSO/Walker Cell relationship, FWIW.

Anyhow, regarding sub-seasonal tropical forcing, I think that while those phase diagrams do a good job depicting tropical forcing in aggregate, they can be contaminated by CCKW activity and off-equator forcing. They don't necessarily isolate the MJO itself.

• 3 months later...

Archived