• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

Thanks Stovetop! 

I've actually done this for every main event since spring this year, just only posted that one since it looked so cool. I will start posting them more! I need to find a way to overlay the radar image on the timelapse video so you can see the overall structure of the storm better. Know any good resources were I could download a .mov file of radar over a selected interval?

I use a Panasonic Lumix G3 DSLR with a intervalometer and a stock 55MM lense with a fish eye adapter. I make the videos using the free GoPro software. 

I had to google intervalometer, pretty cool.  I have a Canon DSLR that I may try to setup like this, thanks.  As far as the radar loop, I'm sure there is some site or service that you could use to obtain the loop file, but I'm not aware of one.  One workaround that would work, although maybe not ideal, is using the GRLevel3 software to capture high quality radar images at a regular interval (synced with your intervalometer).  You could then use image/video editing software to combine them into a .mov or whatever and embed that into your main video.

Let's keep a dialog going on this in banter.  :guitar:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

95, 96, 95 my last three high temps. Thhis Summer is sucking hardcore. it is starting to rank up there with some of the worst for my area. It hasn't been the extreme heat but the steady day after day of mid 90s has been notable and miserable.

Agreed, it is certainly much worse than the past couple of summers.  I'm very much over this heat and humidity.  Bring on fall.

Agreed, it is certainly much worse than the past couple of summers.  I'm very much over this heat and humidity.  Bring on fall.

I agree Stove. I keep reminding myself I *chose* an outside career. It seemed like a good idea at the time.  :whistle:

If we could get a break in the humidity, I would be happy. This last few days have been about the most "thick" I can remember this summer so far. 

I agree Stove. I keep reminding myself I *chose* an outside career. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :whistle:

If we could get a break in the humidity, I would be happy. This last few days have been about the most "thick" I can remember this summer so far.

Late summer heat and humidity is really horrible. The saving grace is we will soon start to see the northern latitudes cooling with shots of dry air headed south not long after.

Northern Middle Tennessee is enjoying 60 degree dews right now. Chatty is still Td 74! The ability of the Plateau to block change never ceases to amaze me. Fortunately the march of humidity freedom will bring drier air in here Friday.. And down to northern ATL 'burbs Marietta!

Northern Middle Tennessee is enjoying 60 degree dews right now. Chatty is still Td 74! The ability of the Plateau to block change never ceases to amaze me. Fortunately the march of humidity freedom will bring drier air in here Friday.. And down to northern ATL 'burbs Marietta!

Thank goodness. It was 96 again today in Marietta with DPs in the low to mid 70s. HI topped out in the mid 100s for like the eleventy billionth time this summer,

Northern Middle Tennessee is enjoying 60 degree dews right now. Chatty is still Td 74! The ability of the Plateau to block change never ceases to amaze me. Fortunately the march of humidity freedom will bring drier air in here Friday.. And down to northern ATL 'burbs Marietta!

Nice call, dp is 66 this morning in Marietta and I can feel the difference big time.

94 again today but DPs mixed out into the low 60s and upper 50s this afternoon so this 94 felt much better than the mid 90s we have been experiencing this year. Tomorrow is forecast again at 94 and 96 for Tuesday. Towards the middle to end of the week humidity is going to creep up again along with some more thunderstorm chances. All in all not bad, summer is wrapping up and doesn't have much left in her. I could see fall coming early this year to our areas. Hopefully it does!!

What's up everyone?  I hope everyone is having a great summer. Stove,  great time lapse!  Thanks for sharing it.

El Nino seems to be really popping instead of pooping its pants this year.  Hope it begins to fall apart though, starting in early December.  One other thing I hope we can maintain is the + PDO.  If we lose that feature this winter (and it really can fall apart pretty quickly) then I am afraid we will all be rooting for one BIG winter storm in a sea of disappointment.  Those that love severe would likely have something to root for though. 

Those pictures above from Marietta look like something from the Plains. Nice! Dry air really helps visibility. Feels like you can reach out and touch the cauliflower. My gut says last week was it for high summer humidity. However the mid-90s heat with dews in the 60s of this week may continue. Looks like a break again over the weekend, with another burst of heat early next week. Might continue most of August. Worst of the heat ridge should stay out west, Texas to Arkansas, which should keep humidity manageable compared to a true Southeast ridge. However temps can still achieve in the weather pattern.

Looking way ahead, I'm afraid odds favor a mild winter. Nino is east based and strong. Also we have warm water off the Southeast Coast. PDO is a wildcard, but it appears we just have too much warm water in too many places adding heat to the atmosphere.

Other than the El Nino, and North Atlantic we have similar sst to this time last year. This time last year the entire Atlantic basin was well above normal, especially the North Atlantic. This year we have a very cool North Atlantic. The +PDO + the El Nino traditionally means below normal temps in the Southeast and above normal precip. 

El Nino winters almost always feature mild Decembers  but usually feature at least one or two big snow events in J-F.

What's up everyone?  I hope everyone is having a great summer. Stove,  great time lapse!  Thanks for sharing it.

El Nino seems to be really popping instead of pooping its pants this year.  Hope it begins to fall apart though, starting in early December.  One other thing I hope we can maintain is the + PDO.  If we lose that feature this winter (and it really can fall apart pretty quickly) then I am afraid we will all be rooting for one BIG winter storm in a sea of disappointment.  Those that love severe would likely have something to root for though.

Totally agree. Weak to moderate El Ninos are money. Strong El Ninos, if I remember correctly, are responsible for several blanks in the 90s. Someone can check that if they want. Just going from memory. The mid-late 90s were representative of this.

Those pictures above from Marietta look like something from the Plains. Nice! Dry air really helps visibility. Feels like you can reach out and touch the cauliflower. My gut says last week was it for high summer humidity. However the mid-90s heat with dews in the 60s of this week may continue. Looks like a break again over the weekend, with another burst of heat early next week. Might continue most of August. Worst of the heat ridge should stay out west, Texas to Arkansas, which should keep humidity manageable compared to a true Southeast ridge. However temps can still achieve in the weather pattern.

Looking way ahead, I'm afraid odds favor a mild winter. Nino is east based and strong. Also we have warm water off the Southeast Coast. PDO is a wildcard, but it appears we just have too much warm water in too many places adding heat to the atmosphere.

Thanks Jeff. It went up to 97 today but DPs mixed out down into the 50s so the temp was tollerable.

I sure hope the extreme mugginess is gone for the most part. I'm looking forward to that first cold front to blast through putting fall in the air!!

I tried to escape the heat and humidity this past weekend by going to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. Unfortunately, on Sunday it was both hotter and more humid there than it was back at home. It was blessedly cool Monday morning though after a late night MCS moved across Lake Erie. 

Looks like we finally get some more rain and a break from the 90's for the next 2-3 days.

I tried to escape the heat and humidity this past weekend by going to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. Unfortunately, on Sunday it was both hotter and more humid there than it was back at home. It was blessedly cool Monday morning though after a late night MCS moved across Lake Erie. 

Looks like we finally get some more rain and a break from the 90's for the next 2-3 days.

There was some MCS that went through Toronto late Sunday afternoon.I had some pics, i  deleted them by mistake.The deck at the house we was staying at was filled with some p-sized hail.Another cell went through around midnight,some good wind damage and seen several roads were  blocked off as we was leaving Toronto to head back to the states,Monday morning

I noticed that the NAO was -3.18 for July, which is tied for the lowest recorded monthly NAO average. I'm surprised we aren't getting 100 degree temps out of it. Last time it was this high was summer of 1993, when it was also -3.18. We torched that summer with a ton of 98-100 degree days in a row. 

The winter of 1993-1994 was frigid and snowy, but didn't feature a strong nino.

I noticed that the NAO was -3.18 for July, which is tied for the lowest recorded monthly NAO average. I'm surprised we aren't getting 100 degree temps out of it. Last time it was this high was summer of 1993, when it was also -3.18. We torched that summer with a ton of 98-100 degree days in a row.

The winter of 1993-1994 was frigid and snowy, but didn't feature a strong nino.

It's been very hot down south a bit. Pretty much an endless stretch of 93-98 degree temps since June.

As for winter, not much points to a cold winter. We can find little glimmers here and there but the overall signal is for a warmer than average DJF. This winter could defy the odds but a smart betting man wouldn't put his money on cold and snowy.

It's been very hot down south a bit. Pretty much an endless stretch of 93-98 degree temps since June.

As for winter, not much points to a cold winter. We can find little glimmers here and there but the overall signal is for a warmer than average DJF. This winter could defy the odds but a smart betting man wouldn't put his money on cold and snowy.

Actually, just about everything I look at for you would yield a colder than normal and rather wet winter for you.  :-)  Thanks for sharing those t-storm pictures btw, those were awesome!

Actually, just about everything I look at for you would yield a colder than normal and rather wet winter for you.  :-)  Thanks for sharing those t-storm pictures btw, those were awesome!

Thank you sir. On winter, I agree wet looks like a solid bet around here. I'll elaborate in the other thread!

Euro and GFS both are showing a ridge building up in the Valley around next weekend,so out with the low humidities back in with the 70's the way it's looking.The weeklies are even hinting at the 850's dropping to 5-10C in week4 today but it's also showing a big trough at the same time in the east.It's very well possible looking at the weeklies this brief shot at warmth,possible upper 90's coming up this very well could be the end of any substantial heating for us in the Valley.

Archived