joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 15th-16th Severe Events

andyhb

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like there's an unwarned spin-up tornado potentially heading right into Lake Lafayette, MO ATTM.

And further south down in OK, like Tony mentioned, it does look like a fast moving potential tornado tracked from near Inola NE between Clarendon and Pryor, OK.

Here are a couple quick grabs of the potential spin-up in MO.

post-5832-0-37648700-1431841162_thumb.pn

Actually it looks like there have been two potential spin-up tornadoes up in NW MO that look to be on-going - still no TOR warning for either.

Three straight frames showing consistent concentrated velocities with reflectivity presentation to support the velo scans.

Had two great views of the Elmer-Tipton sigtor crossing the road from close range! Hope everyone else out today had some luck. Pretty much another day in 2015, just finally nailed the storm choice today after failing to do so through the whole 5/6-5/10 period.

If any of you guys are curious as to what happened here in Broken Arrow I can fill you in tomorrow. Tornado was about a mile away from me.

I knew it was going to happen because when I looked on the radar the storm had previously spun up a tornado to the southwest of me.

One house was leveled and when my moms friend and I went to see what else had happened there was debris and downed powerlines everywhere.

Interesting event. South (or south of south) play ftw this year.

Seems like these ejecting s/w's have too much forcing ahead of it, so the best spots have been on the srn and SE side of them. You still have the height falls in those areas, but also better turning with height and less forcing combined with a good cap. So while not the end of days hype, some good storms there last night. Minnesota had a nice little outbreak too.

I saw the Elmer tornado as well, but only glimpses of it. No chase partner yesterday, so I played things very conservatively. There was only one bridge over the North Fork Red River (which I think was the bridge seen in Brett's video), so I made sure to get east of that very early to avoid any bottlenecks there. I could see the left edge of it briefly from where I was sitting for a while S of Tipton (where I actually met Sam Lillo/forum member OKpowdah), but after that I was constantly driving so I didn't get a chance to get any good pictures or video of it. Good chase overall for me, but it could have been even better.

Seems like these ejecting s/w's have too much forcing ahead of it, so the best spots have been on the srn and SE side of them. You still have the height falls in those areas, but also better turning with height and less forcing combined with a good cap. So while not the end of days hype, some good storms there last night. Minnesota had a nice little outbreak too.

Yeah.. the next few larger troughs seem to be a little less supercharged. Maybe that'll help. Looks like some more EML showing up too.

If any of you guys are curious as to what happened here in Broken Arrow I can fill you in tomorrow. Tornado was about a mile away from me.

I knew it was going to happen because when I looked on the radar the storm had previously spun up a tornado to the southwest of me.

One house was leveled and when my moms friend and I went to see what else had happened there was debris and downed powerlines everywhere.

I saw the houses that had sustained roof damage. Max damage seemed pretty localized to a few streets.

Didn't this happen just south of the 2013 Broken Arrow tornado?

This same storm probably put down a tornado from time to time as it made it's way into SW MO as well. 

Here is what we got to see yesterday...more to come but here is Victor's timelapse of the Elmer-Tipton supercell.

We were in Elmer but it was struggling at low levels off to our WSW then got east to west of Tipton and stopped off the highway on south side and was able to watch this for awhile. It began to really tighten up right before we stopped. We could see the wedge in the distance before the cone came into better view. The structure was amazing.

A must watch:

Looks to me as though the pattern for the last couple of weeks is about to repeat itself. Calmer/less severe weather today...drier midweek...threat of storms returns...severe days Friday - Sunday possible again next weekend.

Huh?

Chasing begins again tomorrow and Tuesday looks terrific in the TX PH. Then more days after that

Huh?

Chasing begins again tomorrow and Tuesday looks terrific in the TX PH. Then more days after that

I meant on a more widescale 'threat' kind of thing, not one direct state of area. Isn't tommorrow just looking like a fairly normal batch of storms/showers? It's not a widespread severe threat chase day. 

That brings up another point, which I mentioned yesterday to a specific person but it applies to everyone, can we please keep the banter down when we are trying to nowcast? There were a couple of pages right in the middle of the event that were borderline unreadable. Also, we don't need a play-by-play of everything that is happening on a given stream.

Major props given to a local met here in Des Moines. He's been home fighting an unknown disease for a few months (so weak to the point he couldn't walk to the bathroom, at its worst). Finding out that he went on air, from home, using his phone and laptop when a storm popped a tornado in the area at 3:30'ish am is some major dedication and showing he wasn't lying about missing being at work.

https://www.facebook.com/frankscaglionekcciweather/posts/940223472695658

post-5624-0-61926500-1431886951_thumb.pn

That brings up another point, which I mentioned yesterday to a specific person but it applies to everyone, can we please keep the banter down when we are trying to nowcast? There were a couple of pages right in the middle of the event that were borderline unreadable. Also, we don't need a play-by-play of everything that is happening on a given stream.

I dunno its kinda useful to know which streams have the best view of a possible tornado, its the streams and whats happening in them to verify the radar images that gives the ability to nowcast. I didn't really ever feel there was a play by play of the feeds I suppose it was a different experience for you.  I guess if enough people think it was or is a problem we should have a separate thread for streams and live feeds but honestly I don't think any of the threads where unreadable or hard to decipher or even that cluttered.

I dunno its kinda useful to know which streams have the best view of a possible tornado, its the streams and whats happening in them to verify the radar images that gives the ability to nowcast. I didn't really ever feel there was a play by play of the feeds I suppose it was a different experience for you.  I guess if enough people think it was or is a problem we should have a separate thread for streams and live feeds but honestly I don't think any of the threads where unreadable or hard to decipher or even that cluttered.

Maybe play-by-play was the wrong term to use, but there was a bunch of people just repeating the same things over and over from the stream.

Visit the SPC website

Unless I'm missing something, we have 3 'slights' in a row. Not sure whether I'm getting myself mixed up but as far as I see, these look more local risk days, they aren't big potential days or as people mention 'high threshold' days where we are likely to see huge convergence of chasers - or MDT/HIGH risk events... 

Unless I'm missing something, we have 3 'slights' in a row. Not sure whether I'm getting myself mixed up but as far as I see, these look more local risk days, they aren't big potential days or as people mention 'high threshold' days where we are likely to see huge convergence of chasers - or MDT/HIGH risk events... 

You're kind of arguing semantics here.

You're kind of arguing semantics here.

Yeah, sorry - as I say I'm not meaning to step on any toes or whatever, I just figured that the pattern for the next real big severe chase with a huge chase day and MDT/Highs (which to me, signify a day worth following). As you say semantics, but that's just how I hold setups in regard. I'm not a novice by all means, so you guys telling me when I'm wrong is only going to help down the line. 

I'll go back to the charts now and take a look at Tuesday for Texas and see if/what I was missing...Thanks!

I saw the houses that had sustained roof damage. Max damage seemed pretty localized to a few streets.

Didn't this happen just south of the 2013 Broken Arrow tornado?

This same storm probably put down a tornado from time to time as it made it's way into SW MO as well.

Yeah thankfully nothing happened to me where I was at. Did you see downtown BA?

I believe so, I don't think this tornado was as bad as that storm chaser who panicked made it out to be.

I know there was a tornado all the way to Inola through to locusts grove. Wouldn't shock me if a tornado did reach Missouri.

I saw the Elmer tornado as well, but only glimpses of it. No chase partner yesterday, so I played things very conservatively. There was only one bridge over the North Fork Red River (which I think was the bridge seen in Brett's video), so I made sure to get east of that very early to avoid any bottlenecks there. I could see the left edge of it briefly from where I was sitting for a while S of Tipton (where I actually met Sam Lillo/forum member OKpowdah), but after that I was constantly driving so I didn't get a chance to get any good pictures or video of it. Good chase overall for me, but it could have been even better.

Similar story, I was on the storm solo. I actually got into great position, but then had to drop a little south and lost radar. I got a glimpse of it for a while in a field just WSW of the center of Tipton. I thought I'd head east to follow the storm, but the road was washed out (appeared as if it was from prior rain). Then it was a fight to get out in one piece before the other dirt roads washed out due to rain on the back side of the tornado. The area near the valley wasn't great for visibility with a lot more trees than further north. Here's a somewhat clearer image than I uploaded last night:

post-533-0-44059100-1431892214_thumb.jpg

Had my windshield smashed from a stray hailstone while getting out of there. I couldn't say I was surprised, but just about all of the other hail I was encountering was sub-severe. Windshield getting replaced Tuesday morning and heading to the TX panhandle if model guidance is correct.

I went down to Wichita Falls last night for another storm. It was cycling, but I saw some pretty awesome structure with it anyway.

Archived