• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
38 Years Ago. The May 1977 Snowstorm

HoarfrostHubb

Your Foxoboro 10" estimate looks pretty accurate Hubbdave...the nearby 8" amounts were at a bit lower elevation than Foxoboro. One of the coops is Walpole, but unfortunately that coop was only at 155 feet whereas much of Walpole and adjacent Foxboro is 250-300 feet, so they probably definitely had closer to 10".

I do find it interesting that MQE only reported 7.8"....you'd think they would have gotten smoked, but maybe they got into a sucker hole....or wind was an issue. You had to be under intense lift in this storm...elevation was part of it, but not all of it...as the Monadnock region demonstrates...they had a lot of rain mixed in up in Cheshire county.

It's always really bothered me..I would love to know how much this area had. Based on surrounding elevations I would bet there was 10-12 here on the hilltop similar to ORH..I have no way of knowing ..but it's always really bugged me.

Storrs had 3 inches so yea probably 10-12, North Foster had 12.1 , probably similar

Storrs had 3 inches so yea probably 10-12, North Foster had 12.1 , probably similar

I'd guess about 7-8" there. The lift was probably better over RI and E MA since the 6"+ snow totals occurred at much lower elevation than further west...so I think an area like N Foster would have done significantly better. The Storrs coop was at 650 feet (same as N Foster)...not the lowest area in Storrs by a longshot. The Southbridge coop to his northeast at over 700 feet had 6.0" on the dot. I didn't have that data when I made the map (or forgot to plot it on there). I don't entirely trust the Storrs data because they have had issues over the years, but I do feel the Southbridge data is decent.

Interestingly, the Coventry, CT coop only reported 1 inch...but I don't trust that data either.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out driving around the communities between 128 and 495.... Lincoln, Sudbury, Concord...  It was absolutely crazy.  Tree branches were crashing down, roads blocked, no plows out...  I called my boss and said "I need to come in the driving is dangerous out here".  He acted like I was crazy.  I told him we had 8 inches of snow on the ground and it was snowing heavily.. He accused me of exaggerating.  I finally told him to turn on the bloody news and I was on my way in.....  he was in east Waltham.

• 2 weeks later...

We lived in Lexington at the time and lost many tree branches. My Dad was at a meeting at my school that evening, a mile and a half away from home, and couldn't get home for more than a day because all the roads were blocked. He had to stay with friends that night. I almost learned to run a chainsaw the next day but my mom wouldn't let me (I was 12). That storm plus the Blizzard of '78 were the two most formative events of my weather geekdom. :)

I'd guess about 7-8" there. The lift was probably better over RI and E MA since the 6"+ snow totals occurred at much lower elevation than further west...so I think an area like N Foster would have done significantly better. The Storrs coop was at 650 feet (same as N Foster)...not the lowest area in Storrs by a longshot. The Southbridge coop to his northeast at over 700 feet had 6.0" on the dot. I didn't have that data when I made the map (or forgot to plot it on there). I don't entirely trust the Storrs data because they have had issues over the years, but I do feel the Southbridge data is decent.

Interestingly, the Coventry, CT coop only reported 1 inch...but I don't trust that data either.

I don't know where the Coventry site is located, but most of Coventry is at a lower elevation than Tolland. Some areas are under 200 feet.. Especially south part of town

I don't know where the Coventry site is located, but most of Coventry is at a lower elevation than Tolland. Some areas are under 200 feet.. Especially south part of town

The Coventry coop was at 500 feet....definitely lower than Tolland, but not so low that you would expect >10" vs just 1".

Archived