joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Observation Thread

metalicwx366

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The highest chance of severe weather in the entire Southeast was, "slight". The forecast wasn't overdone, expectations were.

I would say the forecast was overdone yesterday. Most local forecasters had us with between an 80-90% chance of rain and we saw nothing. In fact there were barely any storms that afternoon, a few showers and storms popped up then dissipated. It definitely was a bust as far as coverage goes and intensity, not even a single warning in NC from the few afternoon storms that managed to pop up. Coverage just wasn't there like it was forecast to be which in my opinion is a bust. We had more storms and severe the previous day under a marginal threat and essentially nothing form under a slight.

I would say the forecast was overdone yesterday. Most local forecasters had us with between an 80-90% chance of rain and we saw nothing. In fact there were barely any storms that afternoon, a few showers and storms popped up then dissipated. It definitely was a bust as far as coverage goes and intensity, not even a single warning in NC from the few afternoon storms that managed to pop up. Coverage just wasn't there like it was forecast to be which in my opinion is a bust. We had more storms and severe the previous day under a marginal threat and essentially nothing form under a slight.

My comment referred to the SPC. What local TV mets do with it is an entirely different matter.

My comment referred to the SPC. What local TV mets do with it is an entirely different matter.

Considering we had no warned storms in NC and only one or two in VA and one or two in SC I hardly think we met the criteria for a slight risk, unless they changed it this year with the new categories? I know in prior years it would not have met the criteria for a slight risk and just goes to show the unpredictability of weather even at short ranges. The NAM and GFS all showed far more activity than happened as did the NWS Raleigh and the HPC. I still think it was a bust considering what all the main agencies had forecast and imo did not meet the criteria defined by the SPC for slight risk since there were so few severe storms and none in NC.

Considering we had no warned storms in NC and only one or two in VA and one or two in SC I hardly think we met the criteria for a slight risk, unless they changed it this year with the new categories? I know in prior years it would not have met the criteria for a slight risk and just goes to show the unpredictability of weather even at short ranges. The NAM and GFS all showed far more activity than happened as did the NWS Raleigh and the HPC. I still think it was a bust considering what all the main agencies had forecast and imo did not meet the criteria defined by the SPC for slight risk since there were so few severe storms and none in NC.

No bust here. I simply kept one eye open and enjoyed my day outside because the risk was, "slight".

slight

adjective

small in degree; inconsiderable.

"a slight increase"

synonyms: small, modest, tiny, minute, inappreciable, negligible, insignificant, minimal, remote, slim, faint, razor-thin;

:)

No bust here. I simply kept one eye open and enjoyed my day outside because the risk was, "slight".

slight

adjective

small in degree; inconsiderable.

"a slight increase"

synonyms: small, modest, tiny, minute, inappreciable, negligible, insignificant, minimal, remote, slim, faint, razor-thin;

:)

SPC defines as the following:

2-SLGT (yellow) - Slight risk - An area of organized severe storms, which is not widespread in coverage with varying levels of intensity.

We failed to see either an organized area of storms form at all, southern GA and areas around them verified quite nicely but further north where the supposed greatest threat was we saw a few showers, nothing even remotely organized or even close to severe limits. I do agree that slight risks usually aren't super active but to see essentially no convection in a slight risk is quite unusual, from my experience :) That's why I say it's a bust, with model data and national agencies even thinking it would be more widespread. I guess we can agree to disagree :)

SPC defines as the following:

2-SLGT (yellow) - Slight risk - An area of organized severe storms, which is not widespread in coverage with varying levels of intensity.

We failed to see either an organized area of storms form at all, southern GA and areas around them verified quite nicely but further north where the supposed greatest threat was we saw a few showers, nothing even remotely organized or even close to severe limits. I do agree that slight risks usually aren't super active but to see essentially no convection in a slight risk is quite unusual, from my experience :) That's why I say it's a bust, with model data and national agencies even thinking it would be more widespread. I guess we can agree to disagree :)

Yep, we can.

Actually our disagreement is caused more by our approach than anything else. You, and many on here, tend to take the statistical approach to a forecast. I moved from that years ago and now lean fairly heavily toward the practical approach. While I still am interested in stats, I am most interested in how the weather will affect my plans. So I take the "slight risk" to mean, that for any given spot, the risk is minimal and, while being aware of the possibility of a significant storm, not worth changing any plans for the day. So, for me, the forecast verified nicely.

Yep, we can.

Actually our disagreement is caused more by our approach than anything else. You, and many on here, tend to take the statistical approach to a forecast. I moved from that years ago and now lean fairly heavily toward the practical approach. While I still am interested in stats, I am most interested in how the weather will affect my plans. So I take the "slight risk" to mean, that for any given spot, the risk is minimal and, while being aware of the possibility of a significant storm, not worth changing any plans for the day. So, for me, the forecast verified nicely.

What ??? Stats and analogs don't produce results?? What about this past blockbuster winter!?? :)

I have a 90% chance of rain the next 2days, I will bet on the 10% occurring ! That's a very safe bet!

Yep, we can.

Nothing wrong with that approach at all! That's what makes weather fun and interesting, the unpredictable nature of it and difficulty in forecasting. At times it can be quite frustrating but then rewarding when things work out as forecast. I found it odd that the days we weren't forecast to see severe weather, both Wednesday and Thursday, we had heavy rain and severe storms both time with golfball size hail and then Friday, the day with the best chance, we see nothing not even sprinkles. The difficult part is figuring out why those two days were so active with weak dynamics while Friday had excellent dynamics with anemic results. Looks like a wet and rainy week ahead for most, at least it will wash the pollen away briefly.

Archived