Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2015 Short Term Severe Weather Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody mentioning this yet? It's only D4 - D5 but the GFS has only had a hold on it for the last 2 runs so things could definitely change. It's been hinting at a very powerful system for last few days but the location is still uncertain. Most recent 06Z and 12Z are the first 2 runs with any sort of decent agreement.

gfs_US_sfc_temp_126.gif

Nobody mentioning this yet? It's only D4 - D5 but the GFS has only had a hold on it for the last 2 runs so things could definitely change. It's been hinting at a very powerful system for last few days but the location is still uncertain. Most recent 06Z and 12Z are the first 2 runs with any sort of decent agreement.

LOL that's crazy

Dr. Forbes just posted about this today

It's rather unusual to have the threat of a substantial severe thunderstorm (and possible tornado) outbreak in mid-to-late August (except for landfalling tropical systems), but a strong upper-air system might bring an outbreak on Tue and Wed of next week. Keep following here and on The Weather Channel on subsequent days to how this potential threat unfolds.

TUESDAY

Possible severe thunderstorm outbreak begins in south MN, west-

central WI, west, central, and northeast IA, northwest MO, 

northeast, central and west KS, east and south-central NE, 

northwest OK, TX panhandle, extreme southeast SD, extreme 

southeast CO. TORCON - 4 west, central IA; 3 south MN, east 

NE, northwest MO; 2 to 3 west-central WI, KS, south-central NE; 

2 rest of area

cBT7MgE.jpg

WEDNESDAY

Possible severe thunderstorm outbreak continues in lower peninsula of MI, north-central and west OH, IN, northeast, central and south IL, north-central and west KY, southeast MO, northeast AR, extreme east WI. TORCON - 4 MI; 3 IN, OH areas; 2 to 3 east WI, IL, KY areas; 2 rest of area. A chance of an isolated severe thunderstorm in the rest of AR, west TN, northwest MS, northwest LA, southeast OK, northeast to central TX. TORCON - 2 or less

e0nJm0m.jpg

LOL that's crazy

Dr. Forbes just posted about this today

What do you mean? I was just talking about here (in this forum)...I don't know about discussion elsewhere. The GFS now only has 3 runs of relative agreement. I'd be highly surprised if it doesn't change drastically in the next 4 days. And the last time Dr. Forbes put this region in a D4 outlook area, this is how it turned out...

edit: I also meant D5-D6 in my original post...woops

11822350_10153043788933201_453285307188511846652_10153048861838201_3761676783726

GFS's solution is pretty lame... needs a better tilt and there's really not that great instability or lapse rates... only 1000-2000 CAPE. 

This run is falsely over convective in the warm sector too early in the day. The issue with the run is convective feedback from Tuesday evening's storms. You can see it in the VV fields at 700/850. That said the strong dynamics are still there and the system is significant. 

IWX: ATTENTION THEN TURNS TO PRECIP CHANCES WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON/NIGHT.

SHARP/DIGGING UPPER SHORTWAVE WILL TRACK FROM THE NRN TIER INTO THE
WRN GREAT LAKES BY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...AS STRONG 110 KT UPPER JET
ROUNDS THE BASE OF THIS TROF
. RESULTANT DEEPENING SFC LOW ACROSS THE
GREAT LAKES WILL PUSH A STRONG FRONT EAST THROUGH THE AREA MONDAY
AFTERNOON AND EVENING(???)
. ALTHOUGH A BIT FAR OUT FOR
DETAILS...INCREASED SEVERE CHANCES MAY BE POSSIBLE DEPENDING ON
TIMING OF FROPA AND EVOLUTION OF STORMS...ALTHOUGH MID LEVEL LAPSE
RATES LOOK POOR AT THIS POINT. WILL DEFINITELY BE A FEATURE TO KEEP
AN EYE ON OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

ILX: THE 12Z GFS HAS SPED UP THIS SYSTEM AND

NOW IS MORE IN LINE WITH LAST NIGHT'S ECMWF BRINGING THE BEST
CHANCES OF PRECIP TO ILLINOIS WEDNESDAY. BETTER DYNAMICS WITH THIS
MID-WEEK SYSTEM SUGGESTS BETTER FORCING AND 0-6 KM SHEAR VALUES
SUFFICIENT FOR ORGANIZED CONVECTION
. WITH THE HIGH BOUNDARY LAYER
HUMIDITY LEADING TO SOME DECENT INSTABILITY, WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY
NIGHT WILL NEED TO BE WATCHED WITH REGARDS TO POTENTIAL OF SEVERE
WEATHER

GRR: MODELS ARE IN FAIRLY GOOD AGREEMENT ON SHOWING A VIGOROUS MID LEVEL

WAVE ARRIVING FOR THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. BASED ON THE STRENGTH OF
THE WINDS AN ELEVATED RISK FOR SEVERE WEATHER EXISTS
. MESOSCALE
FEATURES ALTER TIMING STRENGTH AND LOCATION OF ANY CONVECTION. WILL
FEATURE THE HIGHEST POPS FOR THE MIDDLE PART OF THE WEEK DUE TO
THIS PASSING WAVE.

LMK: THE POSSIBILITY OF A FROPA WEDNESDAY NIGHT OR THURSDAY IS A SOMEWHAT

NEW IDEA WITH THE OPERATIONAL GFS, THOUGH THE MODEL HAS SHOWN A
TREND TOWARD THIS SOLUTION OVER ABOUT THE PAST THREE RUNS. THE ECMWF
AND GEFS MEAN DON'T QUITE GO ALONG WITH THIS SCENARIO, THOUGH, AND
THE GEFS PLUME DIAGRAM SHOWS ONLY A HANDFUL OF INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS
WITH SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL DURING THAT TIME FRAME.

How far south can that line last?

Those storms might be feeding off the boundary between the air and water. They're going strong still, especially that one dropping down Lake Winnebago. Anvils tops streaming overhead here.

MKX.N0Q.20150814.2342.gif

What do you mean? I was just talking about here (in this forum)...I don't know about discussion elsewhere. The GFS now only has 3 runs of relative agreement. I'd be highly surprised if it doesn't change drastically in the next 4 days. And the last time Dr. Forbes put this region in a D4 outlook area, this is how it turned out...

edit: I also meant D5-D6 in my original post...woops

I meant that solution is pretty crazy (impressive). Yeah, those were some busts... but it happens to the best of us, literally.

This run is falsely over convective in the warm sector too early in the day. The issue with the run is convective feedback from Tuesday evening's storms. You can see it in the VV fields at 700/850. That said the strong dynamics are still there and the system is significant. 

Gotcha. That makes sense... I've still got stuff to learn. I didn't know if that was legit convection... don't know how to discriminate it.

That storm should've had a warning I think for MKE county, it was the most intense sub-severe storm I've witnessed.  Tree limbs were blowing and covered the road at times, the winds I could imagine gusted to at least 60mph for short spurts at least, and just looking at the intensity and forward speed as it bowed south, hard to believe only an SPS was issued.

That storm should've had a warning I think for MKE county, it was the most intense sub-severe storm I've witnessed.  Tree limbs were blowing and covered the road at times, the winds I could imagine gusted to at least 60mph for short spurts at least, and just looking at the intensity and forward speed as it bowed south, hard to believe only an SPS was issued.

A little bit surprised the Storm Prediction Center didn't at least put a mesoscale discussion up for the area. They did around 3, but there were numerous reports of large hail this afternoon and many damaging wind reports after the 4-5 p.m. time frame. There's a decent quall line now moving toward the eastern WI/IL border.

Archived