• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Spring/Summer Banter & complaint thread

dmc76

Yet another below normal temperature month is likely in the offing. The positive departures should be thoroughly crushed by this weekend.

Really, the only highlight of this entire Spring so far (winter weather notwithstanding) was the severe weather outbreak on April 9th and, in Detroit, the 2 Sunny 70*F+ days on April 17th and 18th.

It has otherwise sucked. The Polar Vortex just refuses to die.

Hopefully May will be better.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another below normal temperature month is likely in the offing. The positive departures should be thoroughly crushed by this weekend.

Really, the only highlight of this entire Spring so far (winter weather notwithstanding) was the severe weather outbreak on April 9th and, in Detroit, the 2 Sunny 70*F+ days on April 17th and 18th.

It has otherwise sucked. The Polar Vortex just refuses to die.

Hopefully May will be better.

With DTW being +4.2 through the 20th, you're going to have to average about 9 degrees below average every day to send it into negative territory. 

Several runs of the CFS had been hinting at your area ending up near average to possibly below average with widespread positives in other areas of the subforum so it will be interesting to see the final map.

GFS shows no real warm weather until the first weekend in May.  Looks like for most of the run, temps in the 50's here and overnight lows in the 30's.  Looks and feels like November out there.  Today very much reminded me of fall........

Most of the plants in my yard are up now, and temperatures are forecast to dip at or below freezing the next few nights. This is garbage.

Only saving grace may be that winds will be rather blustery tonight and tomorrow night to help negate some of the frost and radiational cooling.

Growing season fail so far.

Just had to scrape ice/snow off my windshield. Lol

when's the last frost/freeze there?  It's mid June frost wise here.  Seems like a lot here are acting like this isn't normal weather for April in the great lakes.  It does this every year and plants are a lot heartier than people seem to think.

when's the last frost/freeze there? It's mid June frost wise here. Seems like a lot here are acting like this isn't normal weather for April in the great lakes. It does this every year and plants are a lot heartier than people seem to think.

I think the last freeze on average is around 25th of April maybe slightly later. Last frost probably around the 5th to about the 10th of May. I'm pretty sure it's really abnormal to have 3-5 days in a row of well below freezing temperatures this time of year.

I shouldn't be a complainer after the spectacular week of weather last week, but the last three days really sucked.  The multiday chill is no fun, but it's tolerable.  It's the three days of howling wind that I can't stand.  It was getting into my head a little today.  I didn't even want to step outside.  Thank god the ridge moves overhead tomorrow and puts the kibosh on the tight gradient.

For FWA, the average date for the last 32° temp is April 26 and the last 36° date is May 3.

We are not really that far off of average, but after that 80° last Saturday, this sucks!

EDIT: Lol hawkeye, we were both posting about suckage at the same time.

I think the last freeze on average is around 25th of April maybe slightly later. Last frost probably around the 5th to about the 10th of May. I'm pretty sure it's really abnormal to have 3-5 days in a row of well below freezing temperatures this time of year.

Maybe.... IDK, I'm not the climate guy, but I remember all the years I lived in N Indiana, April was usually a solid  a mix of Late Winter and early Spring weather.  I don't see much out of the ordinary here.  Especially in Lower MI where you are east of L MI and face a lot of chilly weather in April.

I think people are soft.  If it isn't sunny and 70 by now, people whine.

Maybe.... IDK, I'm not the climate guy, but I remember all the years I lived in N Indiana, April was usually a solid a mix of Late Winter and early Spring weather. I don't see much out of the ordinary here. Especially in Lower MI where you are east of L MI and face a lot of chilly weather in April.

I think people are soft. If it isn't sunny and 70 by now, people whine.

People are very soft I find myself constantly repeating myself to people every year about this time year it's not unusual to get snowflakes this late into April. It's like a broken record, year after year with the same conversation with the same people.

Maybe.... IDK, I'm not the climate guy, but I remember all the years I lived in N Indiana, April was usually a solid  a mix of Late Winter and early Spring weather.  I don't see much out of the ordinary here.  Especially in Lower MI where you are east of L MI and face a lot of chilly weather in April.

I think people are soft.  If it isn't sunny and 70 by now, people whine.

Average date of last freeze for Detroit is April 24th. A light frost or two is common in May, dont really know how youd figure out a stat for that though.

People are very soft I find myself constantly repeating myself to people every year about this time year it's not unusual to get snowflakes this late into April. It's like a broken record, year after year with the same conversation with the same people.

especially in Lower MI.  You guys are in a tough spot with the lake east of you.

edit: I mean west. haha

especially in Lower MI. You guys are in a tough spot with the lake east of you.

Yeah like I said... I don't mind and I'm not whining. Today wasn't that bad. I mean it was cold but it wasn't brutal and I work outside. I will take this weather over 90+ weather to work in any day at any time.

Average date of last freeze for Detroit is April 24th. A light frost or two is common in May, dont really know how youd figure out a stat for that though.

Sounds about. I say that I'm 35-40 miles north of Detroit it might be a few days later around the 28th.

Yeah like I said... I don't mind and I'm not whining. Today wasn't that bad. I mean it was cold but it wasn't brutal and I work outside. I will take this weather over 90+ weather to work in any day at any time.

Yeah.

Most important, tho, is dry

Yeah that's a hard one. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe NWS uses temps for average last dates. For example 28° is considered a "hard freeze". The average last date at FWA is April 12. 32° is considered a freeze and (as I posted above) the avg last date is 4/26.

They also keep track of the last 36° date (May 3 here). I believe that is because that is about the highest temperature in which frost forms, obviously subject to other influences, especially wind. Therefore, I use 5/3 for the average last frost date here.

The positive departure is almost gone here completely. Will be dipping below normal here after tomorrow forecasted high and low.

This will be an April without a 80° high here - not entirely unusual though. 

Recent cooldown withstanding, just a brutal April that 99% of the sub-forum has had to endure.  :shiver:

month.tdev.png

Relatively speaking, I'm not sure how some of you survived last April? :lol:

Technical departures rarely match up with perception and this one might be the best example.   How many days have you been outside in short sleeved shirts this April?   I bet much fewer than past Aprils.  As someone who spends most of his time outdoors, I can tell you it's been a sucky cool spring.   We haven't had the sporadic much above normal days you expect to have in April, the kind that make you think true spring has finally arrived.   So at best we've been cruising around normal with cold winds and not a lot of sunshine.  We'll have to see how April finishes out, but I'd bet those yellows are going to fade out on that map.

On another note, the blooming season has been one of the most pathetic i can recall.   Trees that have bloomed only lasted for a very short time and the quality was sub par.    

Archived